talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bernard - Joins Everton

Inter Milan have joined the race to sign Bernard, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

The Brazil winger is a free agent after running down his contract at Shakhtar Donetsk and had been thought to be close to joining AC Milan, with Chelsea also interested, but Inter have also made an offer.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's always a question of whether players from second rate leagues will be able to make the step up, but I think this could be good signing for Everton. Presumably they were able to promise him more first team football than he'd get at your Chelseas, Atleticos, etc. How will he fit in with the likes of Richarlison, Walcott, and Sigurdsson?

• Subscriber

Know nothing about him to be honest. You can never go too awry with a free transfer though. Considering our last one was Cuco Martina he should be able to improve on him.

My expectations won't be sky high though, there's always a reason a player doesn't have a club this close to the start of the season.

• Subscriber

Just caught up with Twitter. Apparently Marco Silva has been instrumental in convincing him to come to Everton, which has been reported by multiple sources, but obviously I'll take with a pinch of salt as it's all a bit of extra positive spin.

Apparently he will be on 6m euros a year and have a release clause of 45m. That equates to about 120k a week in Euros, which is steep but I suppose not overly surprising when we don't have to pay a fee.

Fees only tell half the story but we've brought in transfer fees for Rooney, Robles, Klaassen and Funes Mori this summer, have got Mirallas and Williams at least partially off the wage bill with Bolasie and Sandro likely to follow by all accounts with possible fees too. Aside from Rooney in the first half of last season all eight of those players are basically useless to us.

If this goes through and we bring in a centre half for say 25m we will have reduced the wage bill, added arguably four players who are all more useful to us in the short term and long term than those mentioned above, and done so with a net spend of £40m or so.

Still plenty of work to be done before we can start thinking about hitting our long term goals but given the mismanagement of the last 2 (arguably 4) years, this window, while frustrating at times and not necessarily in a way that's going to make loads of headlines, will hopefully go a long way to fixing the damage that's been done in the past. We still desperately need that centre back in though or we will struggle badly until the next transfer window.

Chelsea have lodged a late bid to sign Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Bernard, according to Sky sources, but the Brazilian is on his way to Everton and is expected on Merseyside for a medical in the next 48-hours.

Bernard’s move is subject to that medical and a work permit being granted.

Sky Sports News understands that AC Milan were convinced Bernard was on his way to the San Siro, and another source tells us Atletico Madrid also pushed hard to sign him, while West Ham were also interested.

On 06/08/2018 at 15:23, Storts said:

Hasn't developed really since he went to the Ukraine. Can't see him being a success in England - but we'll see. 

Completely agree. He was great at Atletico Mineiro, but his biggest mistake was joining Shakhtar given how highly he was touted when he won the Libertadores in 2013. Ukraine is hit and miss. You could make a name for yourself in European competitions, or just not develop at all.

• Subscriber

Usual suspects writing Everton off and trying to make jokes at our expense. Sure they'd be reacting the exact same if Bernard joined their clubs on a free.

His numbers for last season, including the Champions League, are decent to good. Even if he's absolute shite like Bolasie or Mirallas, which he won't be, it's a free transfer.

33 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Usual suspects writing Everton off and trying to make jokes at our expense. Sure they'd be reacting the exact same if Bernard joined their clubs on a free.

His numbers for last season, including the Champions League, are decent to good. Even if he's absolute shite like Bolasie or Mirallas, which he won't be, it's a free transfer.

Has anyone on here made any jokes about this being a bad signing? My comment was only a WestWorld quote because his name is Bernard.

I don’t think this is a bad signing at all.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Has anyone on here made any jokes about this being a bad signing? My comment was only a WestWorld quote because his name is Bernard.

I don’t think this is a bad signing at all.

I wasn't aiming that at you, in fact I upvoted your WW reference.

Mostly I was just looking for a reaction but today's not my day.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I wasn't aiming that at you, in fact I upvoted your WW reference.

Mostly I was just looking for a reaction but today's not my day.

Yeah I know you did, that's why I thought it was weird because literally nobody was taking the piss out of Everton for this. But that second sentence of yours explains that xD

Archived