talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Champions League - Qualifying Rounds

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

@Inverted you tagged the wrong Everton fan but thanks xD.

I don't have any ill will towards Celtic and obviously it wouldn't be my gut reaction to wish success upon Steven Gerrard up there (though I do try and hope he does well as I think we need a new generation of young English managers to come through but that's another conversation) but Celtic struggling even only for a couple of games does bring interest to the SPL at a time when the microscope is a bit more focused on matters above the border given Rangers' managerial appointment.

Elsewhere, Benfica held on to beat Fenerbahce on aggregate. Relief for @Machado.

I know you're a close bunch on here :D

Put it down to the Lawwell-induced agitation I'm feeling at the moment. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst playing shit football...

Luckily Fener are thrash these days. I at first thought the draw had been unkind to us, but any half decent side would have equally beaten the Turks in two legs.

Very worrying times for us as we start another season without a proper goalie.

25 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Very talented player, technically comfortable with the eye to get and create goals, and athletically he's absolutely got the physique to play at the top level with a major club in a top 5 league like Porto.

Personally I feel like he's more of a "moments" player than the type to run a game, but I also think that our system is overly dependent on him unlocking unpromising positions which can make him look like he's out of ideas when he tries something difficult. So often the wingers try a dribble, turn, and play it back to him, and by that point the opposition is fully set and then he either tries a killer pass which fails, or he's forced to shoot. The AEK games are particularly clear examples of this pattern, but it isn't new.

@Cannabis

the club has absolutely been complacent. Spending £5-10 million on one or two centre backs, and maybe a RB would have solved the only serious problem with the team.

Simunovic is a decent defender but he's extremely limited and isn't a Champions League player. Against more direct, less organised sides in Scotland he's fine, but that's it - he's a flat track bully.

I can't even say if Compper is any good but he might as well not be at the club with his injuries.

Hendry is simply an above-average Premiership player. I don't think he'd get in Rangers' or Aberdeens' sides, so he has no business playing in CL qualifiers, and I mean no offence to those clubs. I'm just saying he's painfully above his level. 

Lustig is too old to be playing RB, and even if Rodgers didn't hate Gamboa so much, the club should be out there finding another option in that position besides him

One CB with a sincerely good positional sense, and a faster RB, and we most probably get through this tie.

Even with such a weak defense, we were quite unlucky not to progress, so it's painful to imagine what would have been if the defense received the same investment as the rest of the squad.

I've seen a similar story about Gamboa for the past year or so from Celtic fans. 

Did anything happened to have him almost permanently dropped? Especially as Rodgers brought him to the club.

Oh Rodgers does this. He sometimes decides he hates a player and then totally goes cold on them, barely ever talks to them in training and hates to play them. Rodgers can be a bit of an overconfident dickhead who doesn't think he needs to make any changes to an approach that has worked before in the past. So maybe that's what's happening at Celtic now.

I still expect them to absolutely piss their league.

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Unbeaten for sixteen years domestically then out against AEK Athens, a club that was shut down and formed again in the 00's.

I'm sorry but this is an absolute embarrassment and just shows how far behind Scottish football is to the top leagues. 

You missed out the part where they are the Greek Champions...

8 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Unbeaten for sixteen years domestically then out against AEK Athens, a club that was shut down and formed again in the 00's.

I'm sorry but this is an absolute embarrassment and just shows how far behind Scottish football is to the top leagues. 

That’s not much of a statement tbh. They’re about where they should be in all honesty. 

Rodgers channeling his inner Mourinho and blaming a lack of investment. 

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

You missed out the part where they are the Greek Champions...

Also missed out the part where Celtic's domestic performances have been noticeably declining since January, including a loss to Hearts at the weekend. 

The unbeaten season is a long time ago. The quality of the league has actually got better since 2016/17, but Celtic have fallen off hugely.

• The title was changed to 2018/19 Champions League - Qualifying Rounds
  • Administrator

all 8pm kick-offs

Tuesday 21st August, 2018
BATE vs PSV,
Benfica vs PAOK
Red Star vs RB Salzburg

Wednesday 22nd August, 2018
Ajax vs Dynamo Kiev
Vidi vs AEK
Young Boys vs Dinamo Zagreb

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

all 8pm kick-offs

Tuesday 21st August, 2018
BATE vs PSV,
Benfica vs PAOK
Red Star vs RB Leipzig

Wednesday 22nd August, 2018
Ajax vs Dynamo Kiev
Vidi vs AEK
Young Boys vs Dinamo Zagreb

Ahem, bolded part can´t be accurate, since Red Shite doesn´t play Cl but Europa league qualification?

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Ahem, bolded part can´t be accurate, since Red Shite doesn´t play Cl but Europa league qualification?

corrected, meant to be Salzburg!

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Eco said:

Leave it to the pros :ph34r:

you were pro at giving us Motherwell vs Rangers in your prediction league when in fact it was Kilmarnock vs Rangers, and no-one noticed xD 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Panflute said:

Great goal by Lozano. I don't remember which pundit said it, but he'll be one of those players where, in a few years time, we'll be saying "can you believe that guy used to play in the Eredivisie?"

Does Lozano not have a relatively low buyout clause? I thought someone said he was available this summer for under £30m so wondered why there wasn't loads of links to him leaving after the World Cup.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived