talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2019

football forum

They finally did it - they got the match engine right. It's still not perfect, it's got a lot of corner goals but otherwise, it's been exactly as I hoped it would be. It's good enough. There are less running in before a terrible long shot, no long balls over the top, no OP crossing. It's really good.

The scouting is much improved from 18. That was a very transitional era for Football Manager and now when you scout, you get it in your inbox like in the older games, not like 18 where you had to go into your scouting news to look through the agent offers, the scouting options and then your assignments.

Lastly, the training feature as well as tactics have been fantastic. You have so many options and so much freedom on what you want to play now. New instructions, tactical and formation fluidity. Of course, you can choose what training you want to do prior to before where you could only do attacking, defending, balanced, team cohesion, fitness or ball control.

It's way too soon to say it's the best football manager I've played, but it is hands down the most complete and I hope the full release improves it.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Blue said:

They finally did it - they got the match engine right. It's still not perfect, it's got a lot of corner goals but otherwise, it's been exactly as I hoped it would be. It's good enough. There are less running in before a terrible long shot, no long balls over the top, no OP crossing. It's really good.

The scouting is much improved from 18. That was a very transitional era for Football Manager and now when you scout, you get it in your inbox like in the older games, not like 18 where you had to go into your scouting news to look through the agent offers, the scouting options and then your assignments.

Lastly, the training feature as well as tactics have been fantastic. You have so many options and so much freedom on what you want to play now. New instructions, tactical and formation fluidity. Of course, you can choose what training you want to do prior to before where you could only do attacking, defending, balanced, team cohesion, fitness or ball control.

It's way too soon to say it's the best football manager I've played, but it is hands down the most complete and I hope the full release improves it.

It's a sorry state of affairs when somebody that rides a camel has a more powerful laptop than somebody that drives a BM.

Had a little play with both full and touch versions before work and my first impressions are very good. The interface is good, the scouting layout is better and the tactics are a real improvement. I'm going to power through my final FM18 season and move on to this.

The Touch version is literally FM17. Im really impressed with how they've streamlined everything on that. If you have a Switch or a tablet instead of a laptop then you will be very impressed with the major improvement. Plus you can now do as many league's as you want.

It's more than likely my uninspiring tactics, but since the game is still in beta mode, I am struggling to score goals. My defence has been rock steady in my first 3 saves but I can't bloody score. With a 5-3-2 WB and a 4-2-3-1.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Just installed the mobile version. It's £9 but for those on Android, you can claim a free £2 e-coupon via the Play Store and use it on any purchases.

I'm tempted to get it since my PC is over ten years old and can't run the real game. Is it anywhere near as good as the PC version?

10 hours ago, ...Dan said:

I'm tempted to get it since my PC is over ten years old and can't run the real game. Is it anywhere near as good as the PC version?

Far more streamlined, so there's no media conferences, no dynamics, no match engine etc. Primarily your training, transfers (though negotiations are in this one), tactics, staff (streamlined) and the likes. It's still good if you mainly don't have much time or are on the go.I mainly get it as I can go through a season much quicker than any of the other versions.

I'd say search for videos of it to see whether it's what you'd want or not.

EDIT: If you want something closer to the PC version, the tablet version (Touch) may be worth considering.

Finally got bored of my FM17 Marseille save and just bought it. Thinking who to go with first.

Ideally want an underperforming big club with the ability to become a fairly major force in Europe - not necessarily a title-winner but consistent CL qualifier and competitor for cups and leagues. Liverpool's squad is too strong now. Milan have been saddled with too many shit signings. Lyon are too strong. Just did Marseille. 

Thinking Borussia Moenchengladbach.

• Subscriber
On 19/10/2018 at 13:21, Blue said:

FINALLY SI! You have a choice if you want to just overlap on one side. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to use the instruction "look for overlap" but having 1 full back on defend, hence leaving one flank totally worthless.

ed52da4d2aee3c9e83b681ad451ba07d.png

I agree with you on that. On my current save I'm playing just one attacking full back (which varies as well), makes the whole "look for overlap" instruction absolutely stupid, although I'd say you could probably counter that by focusing your play towards the side of the pitch your full back attacks.

I've not bought this yet, I'm probably going to though and I think I'll give it more of a chance than I did 18. Really didn't like 18 for some reason.

Is that sliders I see as well? My god I've missed those.

• Subscriber
On 05/11/2018 at 22:09, Inverted said:

Finally got bored of my FM17 Marseille save and just bought it. Thinking who to go with first.

Ideally want an underperforming big club with the ability to become a fairly major force in Europe - not necessarily a title-winner but consistent CL qualifier and competitor for cups and leagues. Liverpool's squad is too strong now. Milan have been saddled with too many shit signings. Lyon are too strong. Just did Marseille. 

Thinking Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Newcastle? Real Betis? Lazio?

Might be a daft shout but Ajax? They've got a really decent side at the minute. Reckon you could build something good there with de Ligt, Dolberg, de Jong & Ziyech.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Newcastle? Real Betis? Lazio?

Might be a daft shout but Ajax? They've got a really decent side at the minute. Reckon you could build something good there with de Ligt, Dolberg, de Jong & Ziyech.

I considered Betis but their squad is actually pretty good and I wanted more of a job. Lazio rub off on me the wrong way. I also had a Newcastle save not long ago. Ajax are too easy to win the league with.

Went for Gladbach in the end, a few games in now. I like the new tactical interface but I'm for sure going to take a while to get a good idea of what I'm doing. The pressing works much better, but in turn that means it seems like less of a good idea to just set your pressing settings to as high as possible. 

Currently trying to work out how to get a sort of medium press to work.

• The topic was pinned
  • Subscriber

I've bought it, played around with it a bit, but not really processed through any time yet so it's way too early to judge. I like the new tactics screen, genuinely think it's going to be quite educational and you'll pick things up from it. I do however worry that it's all going to be a bit too in depth again. I think I may have hit the point where it's gotten too complicated to feel like I'm truly in control. We'll see, but that is my fear.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

I've got to admit my gut feeling is it's all just going to be that bit too complicated. There's just too much now I think.

The extra depth with squad morale is something that's kinda overwhelming to me. It's a part of the game I never handled much, and now it seems absolutely essential. I feel like the squad is extremely hard to keep on side - even if we're actually on a decent run of results, an unlucky draw or narrow win is enough to get most of the team on your back it seems. 

The tactical challenge is alright by me because they've fixed some aspects that have bugged me for years, and I'm normally resigned to being a bit shit with each new FM that comes out for a couple of months, but the dressing room stuff adds a completely new layer of challenge. 

Also had some extremely frustratingly-timed crashes on top of all that. And my laptop runs the game easily otherwise.

Hopefully they'll sort out the stability, and I can read some guides on the new features so I'm better equipped when I eventually get the time to play it more frequently. 

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow lost the dressing room with Gladbach despite hovering around 7th-8th place in November, and actually having a recent upturn in form that imo would have carried us comfortably into the Euro spots.

Started an Ajax career which is going pretty well in December. Initially wanted to stick with a more challenging club but I'm getting a good grip of the mechanics now. 9 points ahead of PSV so on track for a good first season to build upon.

Stumbled on a 4-4-1-1 that works the way I was trying to play with Gladbach. Let the opposition progress out of defence, press well in the middle third, attack quickly but with the ball on the deck.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived