The better place to talk football.

Football Manager 2019

football forum

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
On 12/04/2019 at 13:04, RandoEFC said:

Absolute bullshit. I'm sorry but this just does not happen as often as Football Manager wants you to think. 20+ shots and three on target. Triggered as fuck.

whatevr.thumb.png.679369a6a3b85eba22b1fd2ff36c6f5d.png

That's a @Dan style result for sure.

38 minutes ago, Stan said:

That's a @Dan style result for sure.

How about this one? xD

28u1bw1.png

The worst thing was I had PSG, Dijon, Toulouse and Monaco in my last four games and was 3rd, a point ahead of Marseille...I beat the other 3 and lost to Toulouse, meaning I finished 4th.

• Subscriber

I've had about 4 of them in one season at Rio Ave. It's a very tricky one though because I think my formation's probably causing me to take a lot of shots that won't actually go in. We're not creating enough clear cut chances.

I think clear cut chances is a good indicator but I do think they count some absolutely daft things as clear cut.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dan said:

I get it happens sometimes but that's far too frequent really.

Yeah it happens 3 or 4 times in an entire league season, if that. It certainly doesn't happen to the same team once every 10 games. In the case of mine the 23 off target shots weren't all pot shots from 30 yards. Some of them were, too many considering I always have Work Ball Into Box activated, but there were at least half a dozen point blank headers or free shots off pull backs from around the penalty spot. Infuriating to watch.

Just finished season 2 with Villa, finished 10th in the Prem which isn't bad going when we were predicted 19th. Had a flying start to the season, but after an awful December fixture list we fell down the table. Continued with my 4-3-1-2 and also used a 3-5-2 but not really sure it was that effective, we got dominated in so many games and couldn't stop conceding from crosses. Going to try and 4-5-1/4-3-2-1 again, need a bit of a revamp in a few positions but luckily I've been given a £50m budget.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Yeah it happens 3 or 4 times in an entire league season, if that. It certainly doesn't happen to the same team once every 10 games. In the case of mine the 23 off target shots weren't all pot shots from 30 yards. Some of them were, too many considering I always have Work Ball Into Box activated, but there were at least half a dozen point blank headers or free shots off pull backs from around the penalty spot. Infuriating to watch.

I've changed a few things ahead of my second season and I'm absolutely steamrolling everyone xD 4-3-3 narrow is outrageous!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that 4-3-3 narrow is kind of the uber-formation in this game. Centre backs (apart from the absolute top tier of fast, elite CBs) are ludicrously poor at following runners onto balls over the top. Often one CB gets pulled forward man-marking the striker and fails to follow him back onto the long-ball, whilst the other CB usually fails to cover.

This means that launching the ball behind the opposition backline for a  single decently fast poacher-type forward works far more often than irl. 

When you have two strikers occupying both opposition centre backs, it starts to get very hard for the opposition to deal with, particularly if one can run in behind and square it for the other. 

When you go with three central strikers, any ball over the top basically becomes a guaranteed chance.

I've tried a lot of ways of countering these situations and very little works - basically any defence in between insane high-pressing and an edge-of-the-box parked bus will be caught out quite easily without elite centre backs. You either deny any time anywhere on the pitch to launch the pass, or you cut out any space in behind.

• Subscriber

I killed it with 4-3-3 narrow on 16 and now 17 too. False nines out wide, extremely attacking full backs, two playmakers and the middle of my central midfielder holding things together a bit. This leads me a bit onto my current save. Frankly I regret not doing a proper story of this.

My Rio Ave team have come 4th in Portugal, were only 5 points off the title winners (and sickeningly lost 2 of my last 3) in only my second season, with a negative net spend since I started. I did look up a couple of ways people were using it for some guidance but I've tweaked a couple of bits and I really do feel like it's borderline game-breaking.

In Portugal you can buy decent youngsters very cheap (this works both ways and I'll explain this in a minute) but my U19's kind of demonstrate it too. 5 games gone in season three - 5 wins and 23 goals scored already including a 10-1 win.

The catch in Portugal is it seems like it's really hard to tie players down, so while it's very easy for you to nab tidy young players, it's very easy to have them nabbed away for very little too. If I can convince my younger players to stay at Rio Ave and tie them down on longer contracts I will persist with this save. If not then there's quite frankly no point. I've just spent £3.6mil on 7 players, 5 of them 17 or younger (a lot from North Africa) but only managed to get them on a year deal, two years in a couple of the cases. If they won't sign a new deal and the likes of Benfica and Porto are linked then it's time to just knock it on the head and accept there's a hierarchy that you simply cannot break bar a miracle.

We're in such a tidy position though. Projected balance is actually going up year on year now so we might hold a bit of power here - reputation has gone up since I took over and the squad is very healthy, although I definitely need a centre half as I think I've put too much faith in my other defenders following losing Hugo Basto, my player of the season. That's the one blot on an otherwise cracking little save so far.

Another cracking little story is Dellatorre. Dellatorre is a Brazilian, Italian and Portuguese trio-nationality striker who was playing in Thailand, once of Porto and QPR, aged 25 and he was available on a free in January of my second year. My scouts told me to avoid him but I think it was a glitch because his rating for current ability was 3.5 stars, yet the recommendation was 1 star. I went for him and he ended up my top scorer within 7 games (granted my other striker had been a letdown), he ended up getting 13 goals in 12 games for us and amazingly got called up by Portugal for their World Cup 2018 squad. Portugal then go onto win the World Cup and he came on for Ronaldo in the semis. I know he was basically a squad filler but that is some meteoric rise in such a short space of time. He's been a revelation and actually gave me an outside bet of winning the title, but Benfica nicked it and despite us, Benfica and Vitoria de Guimaraes looking so good for so long, the usual top three ended up in their places on the final day.

Fun little save this though.

• 4 weeks later...

Tempted to do a “Graham Potter Challenge” and go to the lowest level of a European league with the long-term intention of securing a job in the Premier League.

Tempted to mix it up a little bit and put myself as a Sunday League Footballer, though that’s not quite sticking to Potter’s story. 

football forum
4 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Tempted to do a “Graham Potter Challenge” and go to the lowest level of a European league with the long-term intention of securing a job in the Premier League.

Tempted to mix it up a little bit and put myself as a Sunday League Footballer, though that’s not quite sticking to Potter’s story. 

Sounds proper exciting that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2019 at 12:09, Smiley Culture said:

My experience with the Sunday League footballer part is annoying in the sense that you cannot get a job elsewhere no matter how well you're doing unless your willing to drop down a league.

• 3 months later...

Loaded up my old Fortuna Düsseldorf save, that I last played in like... March? I'm in 2023, 4th in the Bundesliga and playing in the Europa League. How the fuck did I do that. Genius. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Yes, boys!!! @Stan I saw you in the stands. Sorry it had to be this way. 

f95.jpg

I remember that game. Pretty sure there was a German ref. VAR screwed us over. Total corruption. Not sure how you beat us. Absolutely livid.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived