talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kepa - Signs for Chelsea FC

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

But that's not the point mate, we are talking about the fee and how ridiculous this sport has become as no keeper should be worth that. How much would de Gea and Ter Stegen now go for? Maybe Kepa will be up there with these keepers in a few years, but he's not currently and still has it all to prove, so the price is ridiculous, although even would be for OBlak, Ter Stegen and de Gea, the 3 world's best keepers in my opinion.

Barcelona buying Dembele for 90 is fucking scary as well and he's an attacking player. The direction this sport is heading into is a dangerous one.

honestly I'm not sure values are that connected to ability now. Even with a 4 year contract i suspect Chelsea wouldn't come close to getting that much for courtois....

It's about having the IT status and desirability and marketability. 

Transfer values have more than doubled since the neymar transfer and revenues have not risen close to that. There is a clear bubble in transfer fees right now created by PSG that will correct with time. If more in the EPL were patient it would have corrected already... 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Cicero said:

Had the chance to go to Real didnt he? 

Yeah - but doesn’t mean he won’t want to in a few years time however, particularly if there is sustained media pressure and interest. I think it’s natural that Spanish players have a desire to play for the best at home, in the spotlight there every week. 

• The title was changed to Kepa - Chelsea Close to Completing Transfer for Bilbao Keeper

Well he is young which as Luke pointed out would serve us well for 8 to 10 years so when you think of the asking price in that respect he could be well worth it.. Some of that cost will be offset with Court being sold as well so all in all not a bad bit of business if it does go through...

As Storts pointed out though there is that possibility that if he does well over the next 2 or 3 years with us that the big guns may come knocking again so we should tie him down to a 15 year contract with a buy out clause of 120Mill and state in his contract NO KIDS!!!!!! 

That should sort it... 

All of this in my opinion raises some really interesting and probably very important questions with interesting answers many will have differing opinions on.

After the unfortunate performance by Liverpool's Karius in club football's biggest game (the Champions League Final) it seems to have really shown a few important things.

• Most if not all of Europe'a top teams (or teams searching for that status) have high end performing keepers from Bayern with Neuer, Barça with Ter Stegen, Atlético Madrid with Oblak, Juventus having Buffon and now investing in the young Perin or AC Milan with Donnarumma. (Real Madrid and Navas come in a later point)
  • Liverpool themselves broke the world record (initially) for a keeper in the search of replacing their misfortune with Karius and acquiring Roma's Alisson.

Does status count as @Blue has been insisting for a while now even though initially with actions speaking louder than words, faith was put on the argument against. (my personal opinion is that nationality has no foundation for discrimination in football)

• Costa Rican goalkeeper Keylor Navas has been part of a team that has won an unprecedented 3 Champions Leagues in a row.
  • Yet the questions have always been put before the Costa Rican with two separate failed attempts by Real Madrid to sign Manchester United's David de Gea and then we could say actually having what now looks to be Chelsea's keeper for the foreseeable future, Kepa in the bag only for an argument between Real Madrid's president and the head coach to put the breaks on a done deal.  After Real Madrid losing out on both David de Gea and Kepa for two different reasons now look to be sorting out the belief that they have issues in this respect by signing Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois.
  • Where does that leave Keylor Navas in all of this?

The first thing Pep Guardiola done on his arrival to Manchester City and his adventure in the Premier League was to look for a solution to something he saw as a problem...

• Guardiola first tries to tempt Ter Stegen from Barcelona by making the most of an unsettled situation at the Spanish club between the young German keeper and the Chilean Claudio Bravo.
  • Barcelona quickly guarantee Ter Stegen that the following season he will now be the consecrated number one at the club leaving Bravo briefly in limbo.
  • Pep acts by replacing Joe Hart (with who he has seemingly no faith for the future) with Bravo who unfortunately due to a set of circumstances that can be attributed to Guardiola's initiation in a new league fails and sends Manchester City into a frenetic search for a solution to the seemingly all important on the field position that is...

THE GOALKEEPER

This has been a brief look at the work being done alongside hard investment for resolving a conundrum in a sensitive but vital position on the field and actually gives more of an understanding as to why clubs are now spending so much money on keepers.

But it does raise all sorts of questions for the future and also status due to betting on the future!

Done!

Kepa along with the head lawyer for the LFP and Chelsea representatives have just left the RFEF headquarters having handed in the cheque for €80m and in return being handed back Kepa's Athletic Bilbao contract.

Now it's all about protocol as they fly back to London to register Kepa in the English FA and sign his Chelsea contract before being made official.

Athletic Club Bilbao have just finished holding a press conference where they've officially announced that Kepa is no longer contracted to the club explaining that the player paid the buy-out clause to obtain his contract.  Kepa is now a free agent.

Too much money in my opinion, and to be fair haven't seen much of him. From the reports he is highly rated but the fact that if he turns to be a flow we would be losing a lot of money. Saying all this we will get 35 mill for Thibo we will basically pay him less than 40 mill 😅😅😅 

• The title was changed to Kepa - Bilbao Keeper Pays Buy-Out Clause To Move to Chelsea

Kepa Arrizabalaga pays €80m release clause ahead of Chelsea move

"Kepa flew from Bilbao to Madrid on Tuesday for talks with his representatives, and on Wednesday the money was officially deposited at La Liga's offices to terminate his contract with Athletic and pave the way for him to join Chelsea."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589175/kepa-arrizabalaga-pays-release-clause-ahead-of-chelsea-move

Does this mean the keeper himself paid 80million to make this transfer happen instead of chelsea paying Bilbao? O.o

2 hours ago, Asura said:

Kepa Arrizabalaga pays €80m release clause ahead of Chelsea move

"Kepa flew from Bilbao to Madrid on Tuesday for talks with his representatives, and on Wednesday the money was officially deposited at La Liga's offices to terminate his contract with Athletic and pave the way for him to join Chelsea."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3589175/kepa-arrizabalaga-pays-release-clause-ahead-of-chelsea-move

Does this mean the keeper himself paid 80million to make this transfer happen instead of chelsea paying Bilbao? O.o

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It sounds like it, but I’m sure Chelsea fronted him the money.

It’d be hilarious if he signed elsewhere though.

I've been writing about this further up. Because it's the player himself who must buy out his own contract via the amount stipulated in that contract (€80m in this case), he must go to the RFEF (Spanish FA headquarters) himself in person and deposit the amount in the form of a cheque made out in his name and then signed off to the club that owns the contract... After this the official contract that resides in the RFEF headquarters is stamped as sold and terminated, then subsequently handed over to him.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It sounds like it, but I’m sure Chelsea fronted him the money.

It’d be hilarious if he signed elsewhere though.

Er.. no it wouldn't.. it really wouldn't.. 

And yes we fronted him the money to get this done apparently.... could you imagine that though, giving him all that then he just fucks off somewhere else instead.. That kind of money you might be tempted to disappear for good... 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

These release clauses in Spain are fucking stupid, if you ask me.

That's how a release clause works in any country it's used.  It's the price put on the signed contract and the cost it implies.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

And yes we fronted him the money to get this done apparently.... could you imagine that though, giving him all that then he just fucks off somewhere else instead.. That kind of money you might be tempted to disappear for good... 

It'd make for a good film, with Roman sending some of his buddy Vlad's goons after Kepa.

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

A player could actually do that lawfully you know! xD

They could then sign for whoever they want but obviously nobody would do that.

Just now, SirBalon said:

That's how a release clause works in any country it's used.  It's the price put on the signed contract and the cost it implies.

Yeah but the player going to the FA is  an unnecessary and needless step. I also don't like release clauses in football generally, tbh. But if you're going to do them, we should do them the way Liverpool used to where if you're a well paid player and wanted a release clause, it'd basically just say "if we get a bid of this much, we agree to consider the bid." But now if you want a release clause at LFC, you're going to get a much smaller weekly wage and have a lot of bonuses to get paid what you'd expect. If you want a big weekly wage, no release clause. It's part of the reason Can didn't agree a new contract with us - he wanted a release clause and big wages.

I guess for the players a release clause provides some piece of mind that the club that they've signed will be unable to stop the player from taking a step up in their career.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I mean, I'm sure if Chelsea is fronting that money to him he's signed some sort of agreement saying he's accepting this money for the express purpose of taking it to pay the Spanish FA & make the move to Chelsea, and if he does anything else he'd probably be breaching some sort of contract.

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean, I'm sure if Chelsea is fronting that money to him he's signed some sort of agreement saying he's accepting this money for the express purpose of taking it to pay the Spanish FA & make the move to Chelsea, and if he does anything else he'd probably end up washing up on some beach somewhere... 

Someone should dare him to do it on Twitter.... 

53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I mean, I'm sure if Chelsea is fronting that money to him he's signed some sort of agreement saying he's accepting this money for the express purpose of taking it to pay the Spanish FA & make the move to Chelsea, and if he does anything else he'd probably be breaching some sort of contract.

This is the thing... You can't do that because in theory the money should be the player's money and if there's a lawful contract and agreement involved in the money used to purchase the contract, then the club that doesn't want to sell could state that the law was broken. To summarise... The rules are that the player himself is freeing himself from his contractual obligations to his employer with the price stipulated and previously signed.  No entity is permitted to do this.

Archived