talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kepa - Signs for Chelsea FC

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Because he is very young and talented? Because it's his release clause written into his contract? Why did Alisson command such a fee? Kepa isn't some out-of-the-blue player that is mediocre.

I don't think he's poor I'm just amazed it's quite that high. I'd have thought it'd be nearer half. Fair play to Bilbao though, as per usual English clubs being made to look stupid in the transfer window.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dan said:

I don't think he's poor I'm just amazed it's quite that high. I'd have thought it'd be nearer half. Fair play to Bilbao though, as per usual English clubs being made to look stupid in the transfer window.

English clubs aren't made to look stupid, they just are.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Well, it definitely makes Athletic a little less interesting for me.

They aren't made for modern day football to be honest due to their policy and the fact that Spanish football is outdated in how they include clauses in every player's contract. All clubs like Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Real Sociedad, etc are now is feeder clubs, as opposed to the clubs that were once very difficult to purchase players from. This will only change for Athletic if they completely change their policy, although this wouldn't be easy to do.

You say they have become less interesting, but they weren't all that interesting to begin with. Their only striker is about 50 years old, their midfield is ageing, their defence is ageing and they have lost nearly all the players that were key to their future.

51 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

But Florentino was going to do it too, only Kepa no longer wanted to move to Real after what happened in January.

That was before he signed his new contract, which is when his clause was increased to 80 million wasn't it mate? I always thought Florentino wanted him on a pre-contract since he was in his last 6 months?

Anyway, he's a very good keeper but 80 mil for someone who has never played in Europe, made no caps for their country and only played for 1.5 seasons, that being in a mid-table club at that is absolutely insane. But that's really what this sport has become now mate. There are only a very small number of clubs that are going to be able to compete now if these are the fees. It's nuts.

What would Mbappe cost tomorrow? xD

2 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They aren't made for modern day football to be honest due to their policy and the fact that Spanish football is outdated in how they include clauses in every player's contract. All clubs like Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Real Sociedad, etc are now is feeder clubs, as opposed to the clubs that were once almost impossible to purchase players from. This will only change for Athletic if they completely change their policy, although this wouldn't be easy to do.

You say they have become less interesting, but they weren't all that interesting to begin with. Their only striker is about 50 years old, their midfield is ageing, their defence is ageing and they have lost nearly all the players that were key to their future.

You're telling me. I was hoping for Real Sociedad or Celta for this adopt a team season. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

They aren't made for modern day football to be honest due to their policy and the fact that Spanish football is outdated in how they include clauses in every player's contract. All clubs like Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Real Sociedad, etc are now is feeder clubs, as opposed to the clubs that were once almost impossible to purchase players from. This will only change for Athletic if they completely change their policy, although this wouldn't be easy to do.

That was before he signed his new contract, which is when his clause was increased to 80 million wasn't it mate? I always thought Florentino wanted him on a pre-contract since he was in his last 6 months?

Anyway, he's a very good keeper but 80 mil for someone who has never played in Europe, made no caps for their country and only played for 1.5 seasons, that being in a mid-table club at that is absolutely insane. But that's really what this sport has become now mate. There are only a very small number of clubs that are going to be able to compete now if these are the fees. It's nuts.

After only playing for four months in Athletic’s first season in the first team he was being courted by Napoli... In the Lezama youth setups he was known as “El Prodigio” (The Prodigy).

In the same manner but with more resources and an open policy, Donnarumma at AC Milan was making his own headlines.

Florentino Pérez, the president that only signs what he can see a future potential return went in for him and forgot De Gea. He was infact signed for the January window and with that incoming player Zidane made a public statement off his own back and not sanctioned by the club where he defended his present squad (Navas in this case) and Florentino backed out due to the potential media storm it would cause and was already producing.

Florentino then tried again after the World Cup due to Lopetegui wanting him... But Kepa gave a shake of his head and was willing to stay until Sarri showed interest in him again.

Kepa isn’t something that’s popped out of the blue and you know this mate. It means little where he’s been playing... He’s had the lights on him for quite some time.

And finally... In various polls most Spaniards want Kepa taking over the number 1 jersey for Spain over De Gea. 

It’s a ridiculous price and I wouldn’t pay it for ANY goalkeeper! But look at his age. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Kepa isn’t something that’s popped out of the blue and you know this mate. It means little where he’s been playing... He’s had the lights on him for quite some time.

But that's not the point mate, we are talking about the fee and how ridiculous this sport has become as no keeper should be worth that. How much would de Gea and Ter Stegen now go for? Maybe Kepa will be up there with these keepers in a few years, but he's not currently and still has it all to prove, so the price is ridiculous, although even would be for OBlak, Ter Stegen and de Gea, the 3 world's best keepers in my opinion.

Barcelona buying Dembele for 90 is fucking scary as well and he's an attacking player. The direction this sport is heading into is a dangerous one.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

After only playing for four months in Athletic’s first season in the first team he was being courted by Napoli... In the Lezama youth setups he was known as “El Prodigio” (The Prodigy).

In the same manner but with more resources and an open policy, Donnarumma at AC Milan was making his own headlines.

Florentino Pérez, the president that only signs what he can see a future potential return went in for him and forgot De Gea. He was infact signed for the January window and with that incoming player Zidane made a public statement off his own back and not sanctioned by the club where he defended his present squad (Navas in this case) and Florentino backed out due to the potential media storm it would cause and was already producing.

Florentino then tried again after the World Cup due to Lopetegui wanting him... But Kepa gave a shake of his head and was willing to stay until Sarri showed interest in him again.

And finally... In various polls most Spaniards want Kepa taking over the number 1 jersey for Spain over De Gea. 

It’s a ridiculous price and I wouldn’t pay it for ANY goalkeeper! But look at his age. 

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Rayo Vallecano, the club who River Plate and Peru copied their kit from :coffee:

@Berserker @Blue

They actually wear that kit in our honour, i think it was because we played a friendly with them in the 40s and they were very inpresed, that was when we had La Maquina, one of the best teams in the history of football and actually the ones who invented "tiki-taka", no Dutch bullshit.

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

In defence of Chelsea in this (because it is ridiculous money for a goalkeeper) I’ll say that whatever Real Madrid were initially going to pay for Kepa, they were paying that money for him to be first team keeper and take Navas’ place. So in effect Chelsea are signing the keeper Real Madrid were betting on for thwir long term future.

Secondly we’ve already seen Liverpool break the world record for a keeper and now Chelsea have had to do it again. Challenging for top honours is now at a price few can afford for sure. 

We only have our selves to blame for the price. The sheer fact the board have waited all summer to act on getting a replacement, is just poor. That said, I admire the ambition the board are showing vs splashing 30 million in Butland. Would be Drinkwater and Zappacosta all over again. Investing on squad fillers vs players that will improve us. 

Could sort us for the next ten years but still feel he's one or two years away from properly maturing as a player which I think was shown in his performances in that period early last season in and around the time he was being linked heavily with Real Madrid. Would need some patience, not ounces and ounces but a decent bedding in period which I'm hoping the club will also give to Sarri as well. It's not like with Courtois who was fully ready to be our number by the time he eventually finished those loan spells with Atlético. Kepa's a great prospect and to be honest despite the price, there's not many better goalkeepers that would be available to us and it's a signing that could sort us for years. Some of the performances he put in for Bilbao were class towards the end of last season and the sum it looks like we're getting for Courtois would also go towards Kepa's fee. Aupa!

So Kepa arrived in Madrid around 19:00hrs (cet) which was too late to make effective his presence at the RFEF (Spanish FA) headquarters as they had closed an hour earlier at 18:00.  Earlier in the day Chelsea representatives had done part of the work by going to the LFP (La Liga) headquarters to hand in the application for the acquisition of Kepa's federative license which is needed to hand into the RFEF along with the money to buy out his Athletic Club Bilbao contract which resides at the RFEF headquarters.

So Chelsea have handed over the €80m cheque to Kepa who first thing tomorrow morning will hand it in at the RFEF and with this execute the liberation of his contract which he will then hand over to Chelsea FC.  After this early in the afternoon they will all fly to London for the protocol in signing his contract for the West London club.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

Could sort us for the next ten years but still feel he's one or two years away from properly maturing as a player which I think was shown in his performances in that period early last season in and around the time he was being linked heavily with Real Madrid. Would need some patience, not ounces and ounces but a decent bedding in period which I'm hoping the club will also give to Sarri as well. It's not like with Courtois who was fully ready to be our number by the time he eventually finished those loan spells with Atlético. Kepa's a great prospect and to be honest despite the price, there's not many better goalkeepers that would be available to us and it's a signing that could sort us for years. Some of the performances he put in for Bilbao were class towards the end of last season and the sum it looks like we're getting for Courtois would also go towards Kepa's fee. Aupa!

My only worry for you in that sense is that he will take a few years to a mature - and by the time he is hitting his prime he will want to move back to Spain to one of the big two...

1 hour ago, Storts said:

My only worry for you in that sense is that he will take a few years to a mature - and by the time he is hitting his prime he will want to move back to Spain to one of the big two...

Had the chance to go to Real didnt he? 

• The title was changed to Kepa - Bilbao Keeper Pays Buy-Out Clause To Move to Chelsea

Archived