talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Filip Benkovic Joining Leicester City

• Administrator

According to Di Marzio, we're set to sign Croatian defender Filip Benkovic from Dinamo Zagreb for £10-11m.

Inter were apparently in for him last season ( @Dalmore do you know this?) 

He's fucking tall (1.94m), scored a few goals last season. Low risk at that fee and could be high reward...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
On 06/08/2018 at 12:20, Stan said:

According to Di Marzio, we're set to sign Croatian defender Filip Benkovic from Dinamo Zagreb for £10-11m.

Inter were apparently in for him last season ( @Dalmore do you know this?) 

He's fucking tall (1.94m), scored a few goals last season. Low risk at that fee and could be high reward...

This seems like it will actually happen - he was seen staying in the Marriott hotel in Leicester last night.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

It sounds like a Claude Puel signing. Which is a little bizarre as he is going to be immediatly under pressure.

most signings would be under some kind of pressure, no?

Why is it bizarre or would it be different just because it's Puel?

• Administrator
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

I meant Puel is under pressure so it's bizarre they're trusting with a large pot of money on potential.

i see. 

It's only roughly £10m - not that big in the grand scheme of things. Probably used up whatever we had left of the Mahrez money but then there would have been an original transfer budget anyway he'd have been trusted with.

Puel is under pressure as it is given how last season panned out. I don't think this adds to it too much.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/08/2018 at 18:37, Stan said:

i see. 

It's only roughly £10m - not that big in the grand scheme of things. Probably used up whatever we had left of the Mahrez money but then there would have been an original transfer budget anyway he'd have been trusted with.

Puel is under pressure as it is given how last season panned out. I don't think this adds to it too much.

Pardon my ignorance, but why?

You finished 9th, 14 points clear of the relegation places. The clubs that finished above Leicester were Sky's Mega Money Top Six mini-league, Everton, who are always going to be just behind them, and Burnley, who had a complete one-off season.

If Puel is under pressure for that, I feel Leicester fans and owners need to re-evaluate their standing in the football league - winning it once in the freakiest of freak seasons doesn't mean you should be hammering on the door of champions league football every year...

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

Pardon my ignorance, but why?

You finished 9th, 14 points clear of the relegation places. The clubs that finished above Leicester were Sky's Mega Money Top Six mini-league, Everton, who are always going to be just behind them, and Burnley, who had a complete one-off season.

If Puel is under pressure for that, I feel Leicester fans and owners need to re-evaluate their standing in the football league - winning it once in the freakiest of freak seasons doesn't mean you should be hammering on the door of champions league football every year...

A lot of our fans have a pre-requisite to have ultra-attacking football or like how we played in the 15/16 season, and demand we win every single game by a few goals. It's annoying cos it's bad enough having bellends think stupid things about our club but when you're having to do ask your own fans to reign it in somewhat it's difficult xD 

I was pleased with the 9th place. The quality of football wasn't the greatest but I'm wise enough to realise our club was in a bit of transition under Puel in that he needed summer to buy his kind of players fit to how he wants us to play. Seems that so far it's bearing fruit as we've given some promising performances so far. Our fans are still living in 15/16 world while seemingly forgetting those tactics we played then wouldn't work now. We got sussed out in Ranieri's 2nd season and things weren't going to plan and it had to change. 

I don't think he was ever under pressure from the board; it's more over-expectant fans if anything. The players seem comfortable enough playing for him.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Good to hear he's doing well and getting some rave reviews from Celtic fans.

If we were short on centre-backs at the moment then I'd question this decision to let him stay. But we're not right now. That may change in the summer as no doubt Maguire will be pursued by bigger clubs and Morgan isn't getting any younger (despite playing much better these days since a slow and ill-disciplined start to the season). Can only hope that when Benkovic does return in summer, he's ready to hit the ground running and integrate in to our squad positively/quickly.

• Subscriber

We're excellently equipped at centre half at the minute. Morgan seems to have found his form again, Maguire's obviously good, Evans I think is quite steady and behind those three you've got two very promising young defenders in Benkovic and Soyuncu.

I've taken for granted our defence this season. We've actually been a lot improved on the shambles of the last two years despite some early indications that we wouldn't be. We've only conceded 8 goals in our last 11 games which is a significant improvement. 23 all season which is only bettered by Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City and Chelsea. Fair play to Puel.

• 11 months later...

Archived