• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

NFL 2018/19

football forum

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Preseason kicks-off on Thursday, August 9

Here are the games being played this week. 

THURSDAY, AUGUST 9
Carolina at Buffalo
Chicago at Cincinnatti
Tampa Bay at Miami
Cleveland at New York Giants
Pittsburgh at Philadelphia
New Orleans at Jacksonville
Washington at New England
Los Angeles Rams at Baltimore
Tennessee at Green Bay
Houston at Kansas City
Dallas at San Francisco
Indianapolis at Seattle

FRIDAY, AUGUST 10
Atlanta at New York Jets
Detroit at Oakland

SATURDAY AUGUST 11
Minnesota at Denver
Los Angeles Chargers at Arizona 

• 2 weeks later...

Got quite into the NFL last year and I’d watch an hour or so on a Sunday evening every week and I watched half the Super Bowl, something I’ve never bothered even watching in the past. 

I kind of thought for a while that to get more into it, I should “follow” a team but I’ve not actually bothered following through with it and finding “my” team. 

Moving out is probably going to restrict me from watching now, unless I get Sky, which I’m not sure I will. 

10 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Wtf are they doing to our 'hawks @Storts now Thomas wants to get traded 😞 love Pete Carroll but if this season is a bust, it's time this franchise moves a different direction.

They'll be lucky if they aren't bottom of their division.

• The title was changed to NFL 2018/19
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright ladies and gentlemen, the NFL season starts tonight, as my home town Atlanta Falcons travel up to Philly to play the Eagles. 

Ludacris and Jermain Dupri redid their song about he Falcons. 

I have a lot less enthusiasm for this season than normal. I'm getting bored of the Packers being good but not quite good enough because the front office won't do what it takes to put a Super Bowl calibre team on the pitch. Outside of the quarterback, this is the worst Packers roster I've ever seen, but with that QB (provided he stays healthy) we'll still win at least 8 games and have a middling draft pick.

Add that to the player safety issues and the political nonsense we're going to have to put up with all year, and I think it's going to be a struggle to properly invest in this.

@Eco

How do you feel about the Mack trade? Is he worth the cost, but more importantly, are you good enough for Mack to be a difference maker?

5 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

I have a lot less enthusiasm for this season than normal. I'm getting bored of the Packers being good but not quite good enough because the front office won't do what it takes to put a Super Bowl calibre team on the pitch. Outside of the quarterback, this is the worst Packers roster I've ever seen, but with that QB (provided he stays healthy) we'll still win at least 8 games and have a middling draft pick.

Add that to the player safety issues and the political nonsense we're going to have to put up with all year, and I think it's going to be a struggle to properly invest in this.

@Eco

How do you feel about the Mack trade? Is he worth the cost, but more importantly, are you good enough for Mack to be a difference maker?

I will watch two games a week, Falcons and Bears. Otherwise, I don't care anymore. This league is ran by a giant bunch of money hungry morons, and if anyone thinks the EPL is ran by idiots, research the NFL owners. 

As for the Mack trade, I think it's great for the Bears? Did they give up a lot? Absolutely.. But so did the Falcons when they got Julio and that was a bigger risk since Julio had never played a college game, before. With Mack, you have one of the best players in the NFL, in his prime. YOU HAVE to get him. 

19 hours ago, Eco said:

I will watch two games a week, Falcons and Bears. Otherwise, I don't care anymore. This league is ran by a giant bunch of money hungry morons, and if anyone thinks the EPL is ran by idiots, research the NFL owners. 

As for the Mack trade, I think it's great for the Bears? Did they give up a lot? Absolutely.. But so did the Falcons when they got Julio and that was a bigger risk since Julio had never played a college game, before. With Mack, you have one of the best players in the NFL, in his prime. YOU HAVE to get him. 

He was brilliant last night, particularly in the first half, but I think you have to do some damage in the playoffs for it to be worth the cost in terms of both draft picks and salary. Otherwise, all you have is a good player on a bad team keeping you out of the top 10 in the draft. Outside of Mack, I don't know if the Bears are good enough to do that (I literally mean I don't know)

Julio Jones is an interesting one for me. He's an incredible player, but I don't think it's ever worth taking a receiver in the top 10. You can get a good receiver anywhere in the first 3 rounds and there's not enough effective difference between elite receivers and just plain good ones. Obviously you had that run to the Superbowl, but I don't think that was a good move for Atlanta.

16 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

He was brilliant last night, particularly in the first half, but I think you have to do some damage in the playoffs for it to be worth the cost in terms of both draft picks and salary. Otherwise, all you have is a good player on a bad team keeping you out of the top 10 in the draft. Outside of Mack, I don't know if the Bears are good enough to do that (I literally mean I don't know)

Julio Jones is an interesting one for me. He's an incredible player, but I don't think it's ever worth taking a receiver in the top 10. You can get a good receiver anywhere in the first 3 rounds and there's not enough effective difference between elite receivers and just plain good ones. Obviously you had that run to the Superbowl, but I don't think that was a good move for Atlanta.

I think if you can get a 3 top person at ANY position, you do whatever you have to. Mack is that, as is Julio. Out of the 10 draft picks we gave Cleveland for Julio, NONE of them are on the Browns team. 

49ers season effectively over with Jimmy G out for the season. Before it was a potentially decent offense and a bad defense, with CJ Beathard in at QB it's a bad offense and a bad defense - a race to have a worse record than the Cardinals, thus a better draft pick than our other shite divisional rivals and hopefully a better year next year is likely to ensue. I don't think Shannahan will go into games wanting to lose - but I think it'll come naturally by being poor on both sides of the ball.

Been thinking for a while, well, since the season started being advertised on Sky, that I should maybe think about finding a team to 'follow'. Except, I don't find it easy to just say that a certain team will be the one I follow. I don't know if I should let nature take it's course and to see what team I gravitate towards or whether I should just wait for the inevitable and become a London Jaguars fan due to the fact their owner, Shahid Khan will be buying Wembley soon and I imagine it won't be long till he moves his team to London permanently. That said, I just find the game fascinating to watch and wonder if I actually need a club to 'follow' as some sort of sense of belonging belief.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:20, Smiley Culture said:

Been thinking for a while, well, since the season started being advertised on Sky, that I should maybe think about finding a team to 'follow'. Except, I don't find it easy to just say that a certain team will be the one I follow. I don't know if I should let nature take it's course and to see what team I gravitate towards or whether I should just wait for the inevitable and become a London Jaguars fan due to the fact their owner, Shahid Khan will be buying Wembley soon and I imagine it won't be long till he moves his team to London permanently. That said, I just find the game fascinating to watch and wonder if I actually need a club to 'follow' as some sort of sense of belonging belief.

I've only got a side because after I moved to America, I met a girl who's always loved the 49ers and we've been together for 4 years so it's just been easier to like her side. Although when we moved to San Diego there was a brief period where I really liked the Chargers... until they told the city that they're billionaire owner needed a free stadium from the city and the voters promptly told him to fuck off so he decided to move the club to LA so they could rent the new Rams stadium. Now I absolutely hate the Chargers. I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Raiders as I went to graduate school in the East Bay and a lot of people like them - and it's looking pretty likely I'll be living in Oakland soon (although again, the team is fucking off).

If I wasn't sort of compelled to be a 49ers fan... I think the sport is plenty enjoyable as a neutral through. Especially if you get in on a fantasy American football league, which is the only sort of "fantasy" shite I've ever really managed to get my head around for some reason. Keeps you interested, even in matches you might have thought you wouldn't have given a fuck about. It's something that I think definitely improves watching the sport as a neutral - and maybe that's why for the NFL I can actually enjoy fantasy football, but with actual football I can't fucking get into it at all. But I seldom ever watch football as a neutral unless it's internationals.

I think without having some particular reason to gravitate towards a team, unless you really like a particular quarterback or something along those lines, it can actually be quite hard to gravitate towards a team. Without having what I had of moving to fucking America, like I did, and to areas where the teams are located/being in a long term relationship with someone that loves a particular football team. American football is more fast changing than our sports - clubs success is generally a lot more cyclical (with a few exceptions, like the Patriots always remain very strong), with the more shite sides getting better draft picks to inject their sides with fresh young talent that doesn't have the same wear and tear that seasoned veterans have. Players move clubs much more frequently as well, either in trades or when they reach the free agency they'll be happy to chase as much money as they can possibly get. And they're not really shunned for that sort of behavior by the fans.

Some teams, more than others, might have an identity that is more identifiable with than other clubs. For instance, the Seahawks and the Broncos have loud and passionate fans - they're more appealing for neutrals than the Los Angeles Chargers who are renting an MLS stadium while they wait for the Rams to finish building theirs, have alienating a good chunk of their long term fans by leaving their former home, and don't have a lot of new fans in LA because the most popular teams in LA are the Raiders (by far) and the Rams (because they've got history in the city and are now an LA team that's one of the best in the NFL right now) & have home matches with no atmosphere whatsoever.

I don't really think you can go wrong with picking a side. They might be shite now, but in the NFL that all seems very cyclical to me - a side that's dogshite can end up in the playoffs the next year. Look at the Rams 2 years ago and compare them to where they are today... Well, I take that back - you can go wrong with picking a side. Don't pick the New England Patriots, they're a bunch of twats. Talented and well coached and should be seriously respected, but a bunch of twats nonetheless. Good rule of thumb with American sports is to dislike the Boston sides (and yes, I realise LFC is owned by the people who own their baseball side - I console myself by reminding myself that baseball is terrible and by not giving a fuck about it).

• Administrator

Went to my first ever NFL game yesterday to watch Seahawks vs Raiders at Wembley.

What an experience. Such good entertainment and didn't even feel like it lasted that long with all the stopping and starting. Bear in mind I was probably a bit hammered with all the beer beforehand at the tailgate and then being able to get vodka in through security and having that while we watched. 

Never really had a proper team that I've followed but I've enjoyed just keeping up to date with what goes on in the NFL. Seahawks seem to be a good shout thoughand not just because they won - met loads of great fans of theirs before, during and after. Three of us met a couple of girls and they ended up getting a hotel room for all of us nearby xD.

Going to the next 2 games at Wembley too (Titans vs Chargers and Jags vs Eagles). 

Archived