talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Diego Godin - Inter to Sign Defender?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Spike said:

Worked out pretty nicely with a few players. Milito, for instance.

It's fine for trying to get some sort term success, as that Inter team was set up for. But if they are trying to build a team to challenge for years to come, it's a very short sighted policy.

1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

It's fine for trying to get some sort term success, as that Inter team was set up for. But if they are trying to build a team to challenge for years to come, it's a very short sighted policy.

It depends... CBs tend to be better with experience and Inter did get a lot of mileage out of Cordoba, Miranda, Zanetti, Samuel, etc If he played well for four years is that a success?

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Spike said:

It depends... CBs tend to be better with experience and Inter did get a lot of mileage out of Cordoba, Miranda, Zanetti, Samuel, etc If he played well for four years is that a success?

Of course it's a success. But it's still short term, as he said.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

When it comes at the expense of young players being sold by the club because they were desperate for short term success, I'd say it isn't. 

After 2010, Inter desperately held onto the same team and let them grow old together. All that for one more Coppa Italia and mediocrity.

Even this last summer seen them give up Nicolò Zaniolo for a 30 year old Radja Nainggolan. All for some short term success. And then in a few years time, or in January, they'll be searching for a player to take his spot.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Inter love signing 33 year olds.

Yeah - I expected this.

Not awful and surely the younger defenders can learn from him. I imagine he still has 3 years of quality play.

On 07/01/2019 at 21:42, Redcanuck said:

Hopefully Godin going to Inter means United have a shot at Milan Skriniar.

Because replacing a potential world beater in Skriniar with a ageing Godin is smart investment. 

Godin will be leaving Atletico at the end of the season when his contract is due to run out. He said he wanted to stay at Atletico until he was 40, but that they couldn't reach an agreement, probably due to wage demands. At 33, it's probably a good time to go after 9 years of service to them, although it would have been good to see him retire there since he is a genuine Atletico Madrid legend with plenty left to offer. He will go down in the history books for them and won't be an easy man to replace.

It'll be interesting to see where he goes from here and whether he heads off to the likes of China/USA or whether another big club decide to take a chance on him, maybe one from Italy? I know he turned down Man United last season also, so maybe they might still have an interest in him.

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

I know we have a few threads about this already. 

But I'm happy he's coming to Milan. 

Is there? I didn't notice any, although I think it deserves a thread in this section as he is not only an Atletico legend, but a La Liga one in general, who has spent the last 13/14 years there.

Is he going to Inter in the end? That's a good move for him at this stage.

Atletico will need a rebuild their defence in the summer as a lot of their players such as Juanfran and Filipe are coming to their end and Lucas has also left.

6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Is there? I didn't notice any, although I think it deserves a thread in this section as he is not only an Atletico legend, but a La Liga one in general, who has spent the last 13/14 years there.

Is he going to Inter in the end? That's a good move for him at this stage.

Atletico will need a rebuild their defence in the summer as a lot of their players such as Juanfran and Filipe are coming to their end and Lucas has also left.

https://talkfootball365.com/topic/5622-diego-godin-inter-to-sign-defender/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-283053

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Because replacing a potential world beater in Skriniar with a ageing Godin is smart investment. 

To be fair he will do well in Italy as he still has plenty to give and older players seem to be in their element there. Better move for him than some no-name team in China definitely.

43 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To be fair he will do well in Italy as he still has plenty to give and older players seem to be in their element there. Better move for him than some no-name team in China definitely.

i have about 20 inter kits, and very few players have inspired me since the Zanetti/Materazzi days. But I may get me a Godin kit. 

• 4 months later...
On 07/05/2019 at 13:40, Carnivore Chris said:

I recommend watching the interview he gave marca. You can tell he was disappointed to not get the treatment a club legend like him deserves, instead he got what every player above thirty gets. 

Didn't know he started his career as a midfielder and he says that's fits in perfectly with the style of conte. 

6 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I recommend watching the interview he gave marca. You can tell he was disappointed to not get the treatment a club legend like him deserves, instead he got what every player above thirty gets. 

Didn't know he started his career as a midfielder and he says that's fits in perfectly with the style of conte. 

Yeah I saw that. He should have been given more of a sending off than he did by the sounds of it.

I mean this is a man who stuck by them throughout the years and scored important match winning goals to win them trophies while players like Diego Costa, Turan, Falcao, etc came and went.

Archived