talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Edgardo Bauza Sacked - Sampaoli to replace?

football forum

It was a baffling decision to appoint him to start off. Its hilarious how Argentina who have the best managers in the world behind Italy can hire people that have no place in the national team. Bauza is a successful manager but his most recent successes have both been flukes and of a 2 legged knockout cup style anyways. Sao Paulo and San Lorenzo should have never gotten so far in the Libertadores of 2016 and 2014 respectively.

Sampaoli the favourite to replace him. I wasn't having it at first but now that Monchi is gone its a possibility.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/1/2017 at 1:47 PM, LaSambadeStGermain said:

It was a baffling decision to appoint him to start off. Its hilarious how Argentina who have the best managers in the world behind Italy can hire people that have no place in the national team. Bauza is a successful manager but his most recent successes have both been flukes and of a 2 legged knockout cup style anyways. Sao Paulo and San Lorenzo should have never gotten so far in the Libertadores of 2016 and 2014 respectively.

Sampaoli the favourite to replace him. I wasn't having it at first but now that Monchi is gone its a possibility.

Terrific news if true. Argentina need a manager with balls and actually can identify how to get the best out of his players. 

How many coaches are the AFA going to go through?

If I were Sampaoli or Simeone I wouldn't touch the job right now no matter what they offered me.  This isn't an issue down to who the head coach of the national side is.

7 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Their whole system is a mess, they're the South American Netherlands.

Is the Dutch FA as inept and corrupt as ours? would never have imagined it.  I'm down for giving Bauza the kick and bringing a competent manager like Sampaoli, although that doesn't change the fact that the new AFA's president is a corrupt, ugly and ignorant mong.

55 minutes ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Menotti is still alive and available, so is Bianchi? xD

Menotti wouldn't take that job even if they made him the richest man in the world.  The amount of times he has been vocal against the AFA are too many to count and remember that it's not the same as when Maradona speaks out against the Argentinian Football Association because one is supremely respected in the football world while the other is considered slightly deranged in this sense.

4 hours ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

He presented the AFA a plan to work with the youth teams and supposedly had a convo with Bauza (last year) don't know how far it got but he has shown interest to help the AFA, maybe not being the coach. He is obviously tired of the state in which argie football currently is but there is a lot of work to be done. 

Carlos Bilardo hates Sampioli with a passion(as a coach and person) I wonder why? Claims he will get on a boat and head to Uruguay if he gets hired.:4_joy: 

Carlos Bilardo hates most people...  Infact I would say that he's gone through periods in his life where he's hated absolutely everyone in the world.

Sampaoli will sort them out and will no doubt take them to the World Cup, there's obviously problems higher up than the management but failure to qualify with the set of players they've got would be completely unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...

Bauza spoke out on what the AFA is like and one of the things he said is that he only accepted because he wanted to manage in a World Cup.

While Bauza was always going to fail at Argentina, he's spot on about some of the things he said. I wish Sampaoli luck. Top manager, but no manager could succeed with the national team given what working for them is like. If I were Sampaoli I'd continue building his reputation at Sevilla.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2017/04/26/34970352/bauza-hits-out-at-afa-leadership-they-know-nothing-about

I know goal.com isn't the best source but I've heard the interview myself so this isn't wrong.

The Argentinian press these past few days has it almost 100% that Sampaoli is taking the AFA job.  I personally think he's crackers to do so and not continue at Sevilla.  But according to Olé Clarín he was very demoralised when he fell out of the shortlist for the Barça job (he was odds on at one point) after the bad results for Sevilla both in the Champions League and La Liga...  He seemed to fail to address obvious issues that needed sorting at that particular moment and he seemed to do a Bielsa in terms of sticking to what he believes in instead of getting results by sorting things out and then returning to his game.

Argentina need him. He has a great reputation in getting the best out of his players, and I can only see him striving with the national side, given that he stops calling up certain players who have done fuck all. Shit, I'd even call up Icardi

20 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Argentina need him. He has a great reputation in getting the best out of his players, and I can only see him striving with the national side, given that he stops calling up certain players who have done fuck all. Shit, I'd even call up Icardi

As time went on, I started to realize what difference would Icardi make really? He's definitely of national team quality but if Agüero, Higuaín and Dybala all fail I don't see the difference Icardi would make. There's also rumours that Messi is mates with Maxi Lopez. If it's true then it wouldn't bode well chemistry wise.

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

As time went on, I started to realize what difference would Icardi make really? He's definitely of national team quality but if Agüero, Higuaín and Dybala all fail I don't see the difference Icardi would make. There's also rumours that Messi is mates with Maxi Lopez. If it's true then it wouldn't bode well chemistry wise.

Aguero is finished and im pretty sure every Argentine is fed up with him playing for the national side. In spite of events, Icardi and Higauin really should be seen as the two strikers for the next world cup. One of them starting with Dybala supporting them and Messi playing on the right. 

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Yeah, but he's beginning to be typecast as a national team coach and this was his big opportunity in one of the biggest leagues in the world.  He didn't even have to start at the bottom to show what he's capable at this level and in general has done a very good job.  He has flaws though, which have been seen in that bad patch.  Not because his team had a bad patch as all teams at any level have them, but because he failed to address them and continued in the same vein (something typical of Wenger) when he could've rode those weeks and got results in a different manner.

Anyway...  This ins't to slate Sampaoli because I've sung his praises many a time here and with friends and continue to maintain he is a top coach.  Although what did occur gives me a frightening inkling that he has some of the negative issues Bielsa has and of which will doom him eventually if this is the case because he is no Bielsa.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really good for Argentina if they really are going to get Sampaoli. He'll be the first amazing coach they've had in a long while. Sabella was alright, nothing special. But the rest were pretty terrible. 

Sampaoli is exactly what Argentina have been crying out for, though, and with him at the helm, who knows, Messi could actually yet get his World Cup after the heartbreak in Brazil.

Great for Argentina if true.

Argentina yet to begin talks with Sevilla coach Jorge Sampaoli

The Argentina Football Association (AFA) has yet to negotiate with Sevilla over the release of their coach Jorge Sampaoli from his contract.

Sampaoli is tied to Sevilla until June 2018 but can leave this summer provided his €1.5 million release clause is met.

AFA president Claudio Tapia told ESPN FC last month that Sampaoli is the only candidate for the vacant Argentina coaching position but that officials would wait until the end of the season before starting negotiations.

Asked about his future, Sampaoli told his club's official website after Sunday's 4-1 defeat at Real Madrid: "I'm not going to acknowledge something that does not exist, it doesn't exist in an official manner, which is what matters.

"The rest has to do with contracts, clauses. If there are no talks between the club and AFA, it doesn't exist."

Argentina have been without a coach since Edgardo Bauza was dismissed on April 10 after eight months in charge with the Albiceleste's 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign in jeopardy.

Sevilla president Jose Castro warned the AFA it would have to pay Sampaoli's release clause in full before he could leave.

Argentina are hoping to have Sampaoli on board as soon as possible but it is unlikely that the former Chile coach will be unveiled on May 22, one day after Sevilla's final game of the season at home to Osasuna, as reports in Spain recently claimed.

Argentina have two international friendlies coming up, against Brazil in Melbourne on June 6 and at Singapore a week later.

The Albiceleste are fifth in their South American qualifying group for the World Cup and resume their qualifying campaign away to Uruguay on Aug. 31. Only the top four sides will qualify directly for the tournament that is to be staged in Russia.

In the meantime, Sampaoli, who is completing his first campaign as coach in Europe, is focusing on ending the season in the best possible way.

Sevilla have already sealed fourth spot in La Liga and a place in Champions League qualifying for 2017-18.

The Andalusian club endured their worst defeat under Sampaoli, a 4-1 loss at Real Madrid on Sunday, and end the campaign at the Sanchez Pizjuan stadium on Sunday in what is likely to be the coach's last game in charge.

"It has been a tough season and we hope that the fans will give the team a deserved farewell," Sampaoli said. "Having been 34 rounds out of 37 in the top four positions in La Liga, that would be what this team deserves."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I know he shows his tattoos but how is that a bad influence on kids, I don't understand?

the collars up are a bad influence

Archived