talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fishing and Angling

football forum

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This time next week, I will be in the South East, set up and fishing on that lake. What we are doing now is going down on Sunday, instead of Monday(when we are starting around 5 day fishing session on a lake) and we will be staying down there on the Sunday night at a friend of my mates, which is ideal as it'll mean we can just get fishing straight away on the Monday now and also get to have a look around Kent and Sussex. We are fishing at a place which is on the the border of Kent and Sussex, but will be staying in Hastings the night before fishing on the Sunday, which will be interesting itself as I've never been to Hastings before. I've been to Cornwall, Devon, Weymouth(family holidays as a kid) and you could include Dover, before getting a Ferry to France, but never Hastings. The first thing I think of is 1066, the battle of Hastings :ph34r:.

People speak about the long journey, but that will be class in itself. I won't be driving(but my mate loves driving and has just bought a new vehicle), just sat there rolling spliffs. Since we'll be travelling pretty much from one side of the country to the other and in decent enough comforts, then I don't see what's so bad about the journey. We will probably go past London as well but obviously not through it, so if we see it in the distance, I will have to give Balloon and Bluewolf a wave.

. @Teso dos Bichos, @SirBalon, @Bluewolf

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

This time next week, I will be in the South East, set up and fishing on that lake. What we are doing now is going down on Sunday, instead of Monday(when we are starting around 5 day fishing session on a lake) and we will be staying down there on the Sunday night at a friend of my mates, which is ideal as it'll mean we can just get fishing straight away on the Monday now and also get to have a look around Kent and Sussex. We are fishing at a place which is on the the border of Kent and Sussex, but will be staying in Hastings the night before fishing on the Sunday, which will be interesting itself as I've never been to Hastings before. I've been to Cornwall, Devon, Weymouth(family holidays as a kid) and you could include Dover, before getting a Ferry to France, but never Hastings. The first thing I think of is 1066, the battle of Hastings :ph34r:.

People speak about the long journey, but that will be class. I won't be driving, just sat there rolling spliffs. Since we'll be travelling pretty much from one side of the country to the other and in decent enough comforts, then I don't see what's so bad about the journey. We will probably go past London as well but obviously not through it, so if we see it in the distance, I will have to give Balloon and Bluewolf a wave.

I will be sure to keep an eye on passing cars with lots of smoke coming out the windows.... xD

11 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

People speak about the long journey, but that will be class in itself. I won't be driving(but my mate loves driving and has just bought a new vehicle), just sat there rolling spliffs. Since we'll be travelling pretty much from one side of the country to the other and in decent enough comforts, then I don't see what's so bad about the journey. We will probably go past London as well but obviously not through it, so if we see it in the distance, I will have to give Balloon and Bluewolf a wave.

I’d love to meet up mate although Monday’s (weekdays in general) are really difficult for me. But I’d love it! Let’s see how the week goes and if I can get a bit of time. ;)

On 20/08/2018 at 20:10, SirBalon said:

I’d love to meet up mate although Monday’s (weekdays in general) are really difficult for me. But I’d love it! Let’s see how the week goes and if I can get a bit of time. ;)

Well it's a fishing holiday to be honest mate so I doubt this would be the time anyway. I'm going to be out tomorrow night in hastings(depending on what time we get down there), but from Monday morning til Saturday, it's going to be some hardcore non-stop fishing xD.

It'd be better going to Camp Nou with you at some point mate!

33 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Well it's a fishing holiday to be honest mate so I doubt this would be the time anyway. I'm going to be out tomorrow night in hastings(depending on what time we get down there), but from Monday morning til Saturday, it's going to be some hardcore non-stop fishing xD.

It'd be better going to Camp Nou with you at some point mate!

The Camp Nou would be amazing and then go onto have some tapas and good wine. ;)

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, José said:

It's going to be 75°F in the great state of Alabama, perfect weather for fishing @The Rebel CRS

Was up all night getting my shit ready to tear up some crappie and bass. Is it fishing weather there yet? 

To be honest mate, I haven't done any at all since I got back from down south(when I had the 60lb Catfish, which I showed you the pic of) and for winter, the weather(until the last 2 weeks where it has gotten freezing) was mild, so it would have been perfect to do more fishing this year.

The weather is nice tonight, it's frosty and cold, but very calm and dry. Weather like this is great for pike, but I just can't be arsed fishing at the moment. I will probably start doing more again in March now.

You will have to let me know how your trip goes mate.

Honestly, that Catfish I caught was an amazing experience looking back now. It was on the 2nd to last night of a 5 day and night session(well 5 nights and 6 days technically) and it was unreal. The catfish came alive at night, so that's when all the action came with them. It was a serious fight, like nothing I've felt before in my life and I'm not sure how I even managed to land it considering how the lake has 3 islands(which the fish shoot up to, snapping your line) and I was only fishing with 15lb line. 60lb it came out at and was about 5' long. I can't wait to go back later this year, the fishing in the south of this country is amazing compared to the North. My mate had caught Carp to 22lb before going there and by the end of it he had a 32lber, a 27, 26, 25 and a few at 23. That's some session.

I couldn't allow it to take any drag and had to keep walking backwards and forwards, so how it didn't snap the line was brilliant. It just shows why it's important to buy top quality gear, even if it means spending more. You want reliability.

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, José said:

@The Rebel CRS

I'm going every chance I get before it gets to fucking hot. Mainly been crappie, bass, and catfish. You ever been tuna or mackerel fishing ?

I have caught Mackerel before in Scotland and I've been fishing on boats for sharks in Gran Canaria, where a guy caught a big tuna, but I'm not really a big sea fisherman mate and prefer coarse fishing as it's more tactical.

Most of my fishing now is for specimen carp, doing 24+ hours per time in search of the bigger fish.

• 4 weeks later...

I had 3 nice fish out the other week when nobody was catching anything on the lake. I'm doing well this year, just not going enough. I went yesterday but got hit by rain, everything got soaked so I just fucked off home.

I've got a 3 day session coming up at the beginning of next month(in 2 weeks on Wednesday) as I've booked 3 days off work to go mid-week with a mate of mine.

Then after that we are doing another 5 day session on the lake I fished on down South last year. I will be doing that in the last week of August.

As for inbetween then, I will try and do as many 24-48 hour sessions as I can but it's difficult with work as I only have weekends free really and you can't go fishing every weekend when you have other plans as well.

1 minute ago, José said:

Been slacking on fishing lately due to heavy work schedule and good reefer but went to a small tournament among friends last week, fishing for small mouth bass mainly. Didnt have a great day averaging 4 pounds per fish and a total weight of 20.4 overall but I had a great time walking the banks of the lake. First time fishing there and should of done a better job with the lures but I still managed to get top 5. 

@The Rebel CRS hows the fishing lately? 

I actually just wrote about that before you posted mate xD.

Do you all put money in when having a tournament mate?

I was thinking of organising one myself and booking out a whole lake. There is a 5 acre one I fish on and it has 10 pegs, so we could book the lake out and just fish with 7 of us on it(so we have plenty of room) and have a little tournament for the full weekend with everyone putting 20 quid in the pot whatever.

• Subscriber

Bloody fishing, that brings back old memories, I did some fishing years ago in Australia but when we lived in Southend-on-Sea, Essex a few years my son then at college liked the fishing bit and I can remember once where he bought home a jar of maggots and wanted to put them in the fridge but the wife told him no way and put them somewhere else, well he did...

I went out into my shed in the back garden to get some garden tools and opened a cupboard door and the jar full of maggots came toppling out and smashed onto the shed floor, there was me for the next 5 minutes stomping on live maggots and then clearing them off the floor, he got his college arse kicked when he got back home that night.  

21 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Bloody fishing, that brings back old memories, I did some fishing years ago in Australia but when we lived in Southend-on-Sea, Essex a few years my son then at college liked the fishing bit and I can remember once where he bought home a jar of maggots and wanted to put them in the fridge but the wife told him no way and put them somewhere else, well he did...

I went out into my shed in the back garden to get some garden tools and opened a cupboard door and the jar full of maggots came toppling out and smashed onto the shed floor, there was me for the next 5 minutes stomping on live maggots and then clearing them off the floor, he got his college arse kicked when he got back home that night.  

This is why you need to put them in the fridge mate, as when they are cold they go dormant, whereas if they are warm, they turn very lively, start to sweat then begin to escape out of the tub, either that or they soon turn to casters and if you leave them even longer, you will open up a box to be greeted by a bunch of flies.

I remember when my cousin owned a tackle shop, there was a power cut one night and he ended up with a shop full of maggots as they all escaped out of the fridges xD.

As for fishing, this is how it is done:-

Funnily enough, this video was taken about 10 miles away from where I live. It's a nature reserve, that holds 100s of species of birds along with Otters, Red Deer, alsorts. I used to go as a kid but back then there were never any Ospreys. The only Ospreys you found in England were small groups of them up in the Lake district, which were hard to find. It's great news that they have found their way there and it seems to be the case with a lot of rare birds, they find their way there and make it their home.

I've lost 2 fish and caught 2, with nobody else on the lake(5 people) catching anything yet, although 2 people lost 1 each in the weed. The weights of my 2 fish were 15lb 14 oz and 14lb, I wouldn't mind 1 of the bigger ones, but they will do. I'm not doing too bad considering how the fish are currently spawning. @Teso dos Bichos

• 3 weeks later...

@Teso dos Bichos Yeah I would enjoy any sort of fishing mate really. It's just fly fishing that I've never been able to get into. I once bought all the tackle but soon sold it all and only used it once.

Alot of my fishing now involves sitting behind bite alarms, but unlike a lot of fisherman, I try and use a more active approach rather than the typical lazy one.

I'm actually going back down South again in around 6 weeks to the place where I went last year. I had a 60lb Catfish last time and my mate had some lovely Carp, so I'm looking forward to it. The fishing down South is a different level to up north, so is the variety of wildlife down there in fact. @SirBalon, @Bluewolf, @Danny

2 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

@Teso dos Bichos Yeah I would enjoy any sort of fishing mate really. It's just fly fishing that I've never been able to get into. I once bought all the tackle but soon sold it all and only used it once.

Alot of my fishing now involves sitting behind bite alarms, but unlike a lot of fisherman, I try and use a more active approach rather than the typical lazy one.

I'm actually going back down South again in around 6 weeks to the place where I went last year. I had a 60lb Catfish last time and my mate had some lovely Carp, so I'm looking forward to it. The fishing down South is a different level to up north, so is the variety of wildlife down there in fact. @SirBalon, @Bluewolf, @Danny

Whereabouts is it you go mate?? 

1 hour ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Nice to see you finally admit the South is better than the north 

Archived