• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fishing and Angling

football forum

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

On the border of Kent and East Sussex. Very close to Hastings in fact.

Ye, but not London though x

Ha London’s great mate, mega expensive which is shit as you have to be on £30k a year min to live comfortably, unless mummy and daddy will pay your deposit/rent/mortgage....but other than that it’s great 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2019 at 19:19, Danny said:

Ha London’s great mate, mega expensive which is shit as you have to be on £30k a year min to live comfortably, unless mummy and daddy will pay your deposit/rent/mortgage....but other than that it’s great 😂

It's expensive as fuck where we went fishing as well mate. The takeaway in the local village was a rip off. Nice though, as you'd expect from a Turkish place, they always do the best burgers. But you were paying the type of prices you'd pay for something more high end up north. Robbing Southern cunts.

I'm looking forward to going again though, it's all booked and we are raring to go. The bank holiday week in August it is. That in my picture was the biggest on the last trip, 60lb, but to be fair I don't even really like Catfish, I just stuck a rod out one night to catch one as I hadn't had one before and it fought like a bull, literally. I've never felt force like it ever, you just cannot stop them from running and by the time you get the cunts in(which is some fucking challenge), you feel as though you have just had an actual fight rather than a fight with a fish. They grow up to 90lb in there but it's the 30-42lb carp that I want.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, The Rebel CRS said:

Carp so far:- 24lb 9oz, 19lb, 18lb 4 oz, 15lb 6oz, 15lb, 14lb

@Teso dos Bichos

Add to that:- 20lb 1oz and 16lb from this morning between 1am and 4am.

I also had 2 small Catfish of about 20lb(i didn't weigh them), which I don't want, but they do give a ridiculous fight. 

My mate has been plagued with Catfish but had one of around 70lb which we just unhooked in the landing net and released. But he's also had a bunch of Carp to 19lb. No sign of the 30-40lb Carp, although we've still got around 24 hours left. 

• Subscriber

What do you do with the fish afterwards? Cook it yourself or sell or whatever? Or are you just doing catch and release?

I just realised I haven't had a proper carp for years xD 

On 31/08/2019 at 13:33, nudge said:

What do you do with the fish afterwards? Cook it yourself or sell or whatever? Or are you just doing catch and release?

I just realised I haven't had a proper carp for years xD 

I always release them personally and do it for the sport of it.

wlsmdm1x636119634923756930.jpg

We put them on one of those when they are on the bank in order to prevent them from getting injured due to flapping around, unhook them, weigh them, take a picture, then release them back as quickly as possible. It does sound harsh, although I'd say it wasn't the worst sport in the world if practised in a safe manner. The problem with Carp fishing is that it's the most popular style of angling in the country, so it can also attract the worst breeds of people who don't know what they are doing. It actually pisses me off when I find myself picking up rubbish and discarded tackle that other "anglers" have left behind.

You can't actually kill or take the fish from the lakes where we fish as they are privately owned and specifically designed for catch and release fishing.

What attracts people to big carp fishing is how difficult they are to catch once they reach a certain size. You can be sat on a lake for 3 days, see where the carp are, but not get them to feed as they can be very stubborn. With age, they begin to smarten up and catching them is a challenge, which is why we all love it. Carp also often have unique features, all look different from one another and have a long lifespan.

The great thing about this trip is that I'd only ever caught 1 Carp over 20lb, then on this trip I had 7 Carp(out of 15) over 20lb, with the biggest being 25.

I don't actually think I've ever known anyone to eat Carp over here, unlike in some Eastern European countries where it seems quite a popular/traditional dish. Pike is also similar.

It's amazing how drained you feel after sleeping in a tent for a week, I feel absolutely fucked today xD

The thing with big carp fishing, is that it's very tactical and isn't just a case of casting a rod into the water, as you won't catch much(if anything at all) and you need to find the under-water features, work out where they are feeding, what they are feeding on, etc. They also feed at different levels in the water and not just on the bottom, so you need to adjust your rigs and try and work out the depths they are feeding at. Sometimes they are feeding mid-water, so you need to figure out ways of suspending your bait mid-water, or sometimes on the surface, the bottom, etc. When fishing on the bottom, you need to then work out what you're fishing over, whether it silt, is it weed, clay, rocks, gravel, chod(which is like old leaves) or whatever and adjust your tactic and rig to suit the situation. It's very tactical and that's why I love it. It can be very frustrating though.

The only thing I could suggest would be to watch episodes of "Monster Carp" to truly see what it's about. I say Monster Carp as it's a programme on ITV which is based more on catching fish than speaking about tactics, tackle, etc, which would bore/confuse the non-angler. They go all over Europe(France, Belgium, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy...), in fact the world, as there are also episodes in Thailand, USA and Morocco as well.

I've been invited to go to France myself next September and we are going there now instead of to the South of England like we did this year and last. The carp are massive in France.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b6180a9364d634ed1eae9c276b96674f.png

Fisherman gets a shock as he reels in 'dinosaur-like' fish with huge eyes.

An angler had a big surprise when he accidentally reeled in a "weird, dinosaur-like" fish.

AAHkVfX.img?h=450&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Oscar Lundahl is believed to have nearly jumped out of his boat when he saw on the end of his line the strange-looking species with large, bulbous eyes.

It turned out the creature was a ratfish, which lives in deep water and is distantly related to sharks.

It is harmless to humans and gets its name from its long, thin tail that some scientists in the past believed resembled a rat's.

The ratfish's large eyes help in the dark as they reflect light like those of cats.

The 19-year-old man was fishing for blue halibut when he caught the ratfish off the island of Andoya in northern Norway.

He had four hooks on his line with mackerel as bait and was fishing in water depths of 2,600ft (800m).

The fishing guide said: "I felt something quite big on the end of it. It took me about 30 minutes to reel it in because it was 800 metres deep.

"There were two halibut on two of the hooks and I was really happy about that and then I saw there was something else.

"It was pretty amazing. I have never seen anything like it before. It just looked weird, a bit dinosaur-like.

"I didn't know what it was but my colleague did."

Unfortunately, the ratfish did not survive out of the water due to a sudden change in pressure.

Mr Lundahl said he took it home to eat.

He added: "Despite its ugly appearance it was really tasty. It is a bit like cod but tastier."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/fisherman-gets-shock-as-he-reels-in-dinosaur-like-fish-with-huge-eyes/ar-AAHl9D5?ocid=chromentp

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.bf4b22b1001b2a00aa84a971afcbaf17.png

Amazing fossil shark skeleton is the first of its kind

AAI7ZU2.img?h=507&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A newfound fossil reveals that the ancient shark Phoebodus has an eel-like body plan similar to that of the modern frilled shark, like the one seen here off Portugal.

Shark teeth are among the most commonly found fossils around the world, yet the cartilage-based skeletons of their owners were rarely preserved. As a result, researchers have no idea what many early sharks looked like, even if they were once very abundant.

That’s why palaeontologists working in the eastern Anti-Atlas Mountains of Morocco were stunned to find several skulls and an almost complete skeleton from two species of Phoebodus, a primitive shark genus that, until now, was known only from its three-cusped teeth. Described this week in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, the fossils reveal that Phoebodus had an eel-like body and a long snout, which makes it look a lot like the frilled shark that still roams the deep sea today.

AAI7Tlf.img?h=292&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

This fossil of the ancient shark genus Phoebodus was found in Morocco.

And while these two animals are only distantly related, the teeth of Phoebodus and those of the frilled shark look really similar as well, suggesting that their feeding modes didn’t differ drastically.

“Many modern sharks have serrated teeth that allow them to cut up their prey before ingesting the pieces,” says study coauthor Christian Klug of the University of Zurich. By contrast, the cone-shaped, inward-pointing teeth of Phoebodus and the frilled shark are only good for capturing prey and then swallowing it whole.

Snapping sideways

The fossilized Phoebodus remains were found in a layer estimated to be about 360 to 370 million years old, in what used to be a shallow sea basin. When the sharks died there, the limited water circulation and low oxygen levels created an environment in which their bodies were largely left alone by bacteria, scavengers, and currents, preserving them for posterity.

The resulting fossils are damaged by sediments and time, but Klug and his team were able to CT scan some of the material they recovered from the Moroccan mountains to get an even better picture of what these primitive sharks looked like during the Late Devonian period.

“The quantity of data that is emerging from studies such as this is staggering,” says John Maisey, a palaeontologist with the American Museum of Natural History who was not part of the study team. “We are experiencing a renaissance of anatomy.”

The scans revealed some striking similarities to the frilled shark, not just in body shape, but in the teeth as well, which offers some clues to how the more ancient predators might have hunted. 

“The frilled shark is a specialized predator, with the ability to suddenly burst forward to catch its prey,” says David Ebert, a modern shark expert at the Pacific Shark Research Center who has studied the frilled shark for decades. “The inward-pointing teeth then help to make sure the prey can only go one way: into its throat. Maybe Phoebodus did something similar.”

Because the reclusive frilled shark is so rarely observed, however, there are many outstanding questions about the way it feeds. So, for a better understanding of how Phoebodus may have gotten its food, the researchers also looked at another unrelated species with a surprisingly similar skull, jaw, and teeth, a large freshwater fish called the alligator gar. Like Phoebodus, the alligator gar has long jaws and a flat skull, which limit its bite force. Yet there are also benefits to having a head like that, says Justin Lemberg of the University of Chicago, who has studied the gars’ feeding behaviour.

“They hunt in open water, where they don’t have the luxury of choosing which direction their next meal will come from. And flat heads and long jaws are great for snapping sideways at prey.”

Physics of feeding

While it may seem unusual to compare the feeding strategies of species as different as sharks and gars, such analyses are often among the best ways palaeontologists have to reconstruct how extinct animals behaved, Lemberg says.

“When a certain structure or strategy is effective, there is a tendency for it to show up time and time again—both in living creatures and in the fossil record,” he says. “While a lot has changed since Phoebodus swam the Devonian oceans, the physics of feeding in water have not.”

Nevertheless, Phoebodus went extinct in the early Carboniferous, millions of years before the re-emergence of some of its features in a modern shark. So, might some species belonging to this ancient genus still be lurking in the deep, like the elusive frilled shark?

“I really don’t think so,” Ebert says. “I’ve spent a career looking for new species, but I’ve never come across anything quite like this.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/amazing-fossil-shark-skeleton-is-the-first-of-its-kind/ar-AAI9pV4

On 01/09/2019 at 23:36, Carnivore Chris said:

The thing with big carp fishing, is that it's very tactical and isn't just a case of casting a rod into the water, as you won't catch much(if anything at all) and you need to find the under-water features, work out where they are feeding, what they are feeding on, etc. They also feed at different levels in the water and not just on the bottom, so you need to adjust your rigs and try and work out the depths they are feeding at. Sometimes they are feeding mid-water, so you need to figure out ways of suspending your bait mid-water, or sometimes on the surface, the bottom, etc. When fishing on the bottom, you need to then work out what you're fishing over, whether it silt, is it weed, clay, rocks, gravel, chod(which is like old leaves) or whatever and adjust your tactic and rig to suit the situation. It's very tactical and that's why I love it. It can be very frustrating though.

The only thing I could suggest would be to watch episodes of "Monster Carp" to truly see what it's about. I say Monster Carp as it's a programme on ITV which is based more on catching fish than speaking about tactics, tackle, etc, which would bore/confuse the non-angler. They go all over Europe(France, Belgium, Austria, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy...), in fact the world, as there are also episodes in Thailand, USA and Morocco as well.

I've been invited to go to France myself next September and we are going there now instead of to the South of England like we did this year and last. The carp are massive in France.

You need to come to Bonaire and go Tuna or Wahoo Fishing with me! should get some big ones, you would love it! 

On 02/10/2019 at 12:57, Panna King said:

I am a great Sea fisher, I go a lot when I am in Curacao or Bonaire, looking for Tuna mainly Black Fin or Wahoo or  other species. 

Image result for tuna curacao

nice-wahoo-catch.jpg

I bet they give a great fight. I'm more about coarse fishing but would always be up for going sea fishing, especially when in a country where it's actually worth doing.

I get sea sick badly though. It's when a boat stops moving and all you can see around you is blue. Blue sky, blue sea. I remember going deep sea fishing in Gran Canaria for sharks and I've never felt so ill in my life xD. This was in the calmest of sea possible as well.

On 02/10/2019 at 13:04, True Blue said:

I would love to go fishing but i have the patience of a toddler and the nerves of an grumpy grandpa.

To be fair, you don't even need much patience if you fish for the smaller ones. There are a lot of lakes around here where you can catch 5lb-10lb carp all day using a float rod. When you start targeting the bigger fish though, it becomes very difficult and you can even go 3 days without catching. Carp grow wise with age and are very intelligent fish.

Bosnia is actually a great place for fishing. They went there on "Monster Carp" on one episode, fished some big lake and had some whopping fish out. Fish which had never been caught before as the lake was very wild.

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.0d9e5eaeed77ebc0c095761e786af2d9.png

Scientists Unravel Mystery of the Jellyfish's 'Superpower' Ability to Regenerate Body Parts

AAI77Sv.img?h=1080&w=1920&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

Scientists have unravelled the biological mechanisms behind what they describe as the extraordinary "superpower" ability of jellyfish to regenerate body parts.

Jellyfish are primitive animals which evolved in the oceans around 600 million years ago. Part of the reason for their evolutionary success is that some species are able to grow back tissue that has been lost—a trait that is rare in the animal kingdom.

To learn more about this poorly understood ability, a team of researchers from Tohoku University in Japan investigated the biology of a jellyfish species known as Cladonema pacificum—which has tentacles that spread out like tree branches—for a study published in the journal PeerJ.

"Currently our knowledge of biology is quite limited because most studies have been performed using so-called model animals like mice, flies, worms and fish etc. Given that millions of species exist on the earth, it is important to study various animals and broaden our knowledge," Yuichiro Nakajima, an author of the study from the Frontier Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Sciences at Tohoku, said in a statement.

"Jellyfish are one of such animals with interesting biological features," Nakajima said. "For example, they have stinging cells, called cnidocytes, to capture prey."

In their research, the Tohoku scientists investigated how cells proliferated in the jellyfish during their various developmental stages. Cladonema pacificum was a suitable subject to study these processes because it is easy to maintain in a lab and has a high spawn rate.

Specifically, the team examined the distribution of special proliferating cells—which are important for cell division—in the body of the jellyfish and how the animal's intake of food could influence its body-size, shape and regenerative abilities. Cell division is a process which involves a "parent" cell producing two identical clone cells.

The team's research showed that during the so-called "medusa" phase of the jellyfish's lifecycle, these cells were distributed across the animal's body in different patterns.

The medusa phase is the stage of jellyfish development that is perhaps most familiar to us because this is usually when the animal swims around and has tentacles hanging down from the umbrella-shaped main body. During this phase, male and female medusae reproduce.

In their study, the Tohoku team noticed that proliferating cells in C. pacificum medusae were spread out uniformly in the umbrella-shaped body part, while in the tentacles they were collected in distinct clusters.

When the researchers took food away from the jellyfish or blocked cell proliferation from occurring using a special substance, they found that the animals grew to smaller sizes. Furthermore, this also caused defects in how the tentacles branched out during development, as well as problems with regeneration.

These results indicate that the proliferating cells are key to determining the body size, tentacle shape and regenerative abilities of the jellyfish during their sexual phase, according to the researchers.

"We are currently trying to understand the molecular mechanisms of Cladonema development and regeneration," Sosuke Fujita, another author of the study, said in the statement. "Based on this research, molecular control of cell proliferation is the key to deciphering jellyfish growth and regeneration.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/scientists-unravel-mystery-of-the-jellyfishs-superpower-ability-to-regenerate-body-parts/ar-AAI7fY2#image=1

• 2 weeks later...

72282467_2986773781337048_62286376365300

Extra rare black bass caught in Texas @Carnivore Chris bass like those put up a hell of a fight.

71037995_2416465135300067_37794145658428   

One of my many fish loving friends caught this big lip beauty 😍😍 most of the time I put them back but that one is a trophy hog head !! You wouldn't believe how many guys have the same definition of retirement:boat, truck, and a garage full of fishing equipment. 

I'm planning a red fish trip coming up Chris, those jokers put up a fight but taste delicious.

Louisiana-Redfish-Flyfishing-Guide-2.jpg

redfish-heaven-1.jpg

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.a8b60fa18e2d703e1c44abf93dd13501.png

Amazon fish wears nature's 'bullet-proof vest' to thwart piranhas

SLIDES - 1/5

AAISIjt.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - One of the world's largest freshwater fish is protected by the natural equivalent of a "bullet-proof vest," helping it thrive in the dangerous waters of the Amazon River basin with flexible armour-like scales able to withstand ferocious piranha attacks.

Researchers from the University of California, San Diego and the University of California, Berkeley on Wednesday described the unique structure and impressive properties of the dermal armour of the fish called Arapaima gigas. They said their findings can help guide the development of better body armour for people as well as applications in aerospace design.

The fish, also known as pirarucu, gets up to 10 feet (3 meters) long and weighs up to 440 pounds (200 kg). Arapaima, a fish that can breathe air and survive up to a day outside of the water, inhabits rivers in Brazil, Guyana and Peru infested with piranhas, known for razor-sharp teeth, incredible bite strength and deadly feeding frenzies.

There long has been an evolutionary arms race in which predators develop ways to kill - like sharp teeth - and other animals develop ways to stay alive like the dermal armour seen in various fish, dinosaurs and mammals over time. Arapaima's scales, the researchers said, possess all the best attributes of a bullet-proof vest, but the elements are better integrated into one solid piece combining imperviousness and flexibility.

"Such lightweight and tough materials like fish scales are the sexy topics that materials scientists are pursuing," said Wen Yang, a UCSD materials scientist who helped lead the study published in the journal Matter.

"It is true that the natural armour is similar to artificial body armour because of the similar scale overlapping system. However, the natural armour such as these fish scales is tough and much lighter, without impeding body flexibility and locomotion," Yang added. "Remember that the fish scales were developed through hundreds of millions of years. They are very advanced."

The researchers conducted laboratory tests of the scales.

The scales, they found, have a hard mineralized outer layer to resist penetration that is bound to a tough-but-flexible inner layer by collagen – the main structural protein in skin and other connective tissues in the body.

This structure means the scales can become deformed when bitten by a piranha but are not torn, broken or pierced, protecting the fish from injury.

"We were able to see how the collagen fibres deform without a catastrophic failure including the mechanisms of twisting, folding, sliding, stretching, delamination," Yang said.

The study was backed by the U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/amazon-fish-wears-natures-bullet-proof-vest-to-thwart-piranhas/ar-AAIVlIB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.542edc95cc6a9a038a1962c94e231653.png

New species found in whale shark mouth

AAJsf7y.img?h=452&w=768&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

A whale shark's mouth might not seem like the most hospitable environment for a home, but Japanese researchers have found there's no place like it for a newly-discovered shrimp-like creature.

The tiny inhabitants -- dubbed podocerus jinbe -- are a variety of gammaridea, a species known for their hardy ability to live in environments ranging from high mountains to the deep sea.

But lead researcher Ko Tomikawa, an associate professor at Hiroshima University, said he was "surprised" to find them living in the mouth of an animal.

"This creature, which is usually 3-5 centimetres long, is amazing because they can live in so many different kinds of environment," Tomikawa told AFP.

"But I didn't expect we would find one inside the mouth of a whale shark."

Gammaridea are a type of crustacean, a group that includes water fleas

The researcher said the new variety has a brown-coloured body of about five millimetres long and hairy legs, which help catch organic substances for food.

Whale sharks are known as jinbe zame in Japanese, inspiring their newly discovered residents' name.

And Tomikawa said there were some good reasons the species might choose such an unexpected location.

"The mouth of the whale shark is probably a good habitat because fresh seawater, which is necessary for them to breath comes in regularly, and food flows in too," he said.

"And it also provides a safe place without any predators."

The new variety was discovered after Tomikawa was contacted by an aquarium in southern Okinawa prefecture curious to know what appeared to be living in a whale shark there.

About a thousand of the creatures were found inside the gills of the shark's mouth, he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/new-species-found-in-whale-shark-mouth/ar-AAJspng

• 2 months later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.60d8d07ec04b69de746684c162f12fe4.png

A smiling shark and a trapped sea turtle: Winning entries of underwater photography contest reveal the most beautiful and tragic moments of ocean life

A smiling shark and bride-like fish are among the snapshots submitted to the Underwater Photography Guide's Ocean Art Contest 2019. In other stunning images, sea lions in Mexico appear to sing, and a shot from Lembeh Strait, Indonesia captures the hypnotic eyes of a snake. Scroll through this incredible slideshow to see the sometimes heartbreaking, all beautiful photographs of life under the water's

SLIDES - 1/57

BBZ9n8t.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.711abdaaae4938bb3e8cef26f8aef4f0.png

How a bizarre, monster fish hoodwinked researchers and reeled in a wave of citizen scientists

BB10gMXU.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=

A woman in Denmark has a chunk of a massive creature in her freezer, next to her peas. In New Zealand, a fisherman has pieces of the giant in a bottle of vodka. And in Alaska, a bush pilot hops in his seaplane to hunt down samples of the colossus, known to some as an enormous 4,000-pound floating head.

No, it's not the Loch Ness monster. And yes, it's safe to say that the behemoth that washed up on a beach in Southern California a year ago has created a worldwide furore. Scientists were shocked to find the weird fish – known as a "hoodwinker," or Mola tecta – in North America. When photos broke of the California find, fascination mounted around the globe.

FULL REPORT

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I might start fishing myself after the pandemic ends. Any beginners tip? @Carnivore Chris

Yeah you should give it a try mate as it'd do well for your mental health I think.

As for trips, it would all depend on the type of fishing you did as it's quite different styles here in Europe to South America or Canada and different species.

Archived