talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Fishing and Angling

football forum

1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Yeah you should give it a try mate as it'd do well for your mental health I think.

As for trips, it would all depend on the type of fishing you did as it's quite different styles here in Europe to South America or Canada and different species.

Well I live next to Lake Ontario so I've got a good beginners destination. I'd like to fish in the Yukon though. Either Ice Fishing or just regularly. That'd be my first trip I reckon. If it was in Peru I'd do the Amazon river.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Inti Brian said:

Well I live next to Lake Ontario so I've got a good beginners destination. I'd like to fish in the Yukon though. Either Ice Fishing or just regularly. That'd be my first trip I reckon. If it was in Peru I'd do the Amazon river.

The Amazon river would be a dream for me mate, it would be an amazing experience. Maybe after the Pandemic, I might even join you. We could meet @Berserker and @El Profesor along the way xD

There are some great rivers in Canada as well mate.  Huge Sturgeon, but you'd probably be better targeting smaller species first. 

The Amazon river would be a dream for me mate, it would be an amazing experience. Maybe after the Pandemic, I might even join you. We could meet @Berserker and @El Profesor along the way xD

There are some great rivers in Canada as well mate.  Huge Sturgeon, but you'd probably be better targeting smaller species first. 

Yeah I've been to the Amazon as well. Iquitos is probably the best place to go if you want that kind of place in Peru. It's only accesible by plane though (which obviously isn't a problem for you xD)

Apparently you can catch these :o 

ce32460ada14b7f37bc68b2668a6a047.png

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Yeah I've been to the Amazon as well. Iquitos is probably the best place to go if you want that kind of place in Peru. It's only accesible by plane though (which obviously isn't a problem for you xD)

Apparently you can catch these :o 

ce32460ada14b7f37bc68b2668a6a047.png

It would seem cruel catching those though xD

I know hooking fish sounds cuntish in itself, but I couldn't "fish" for reptiles, or any other species. Same with Whales and Dolphins.

They probably get hooked from time to time by accident though, especially when lure fishing.

Ricardo has fished in the Amazon River, as I remember him saying. He might have some tips for you as far as that river is concerned. Obviously it'll be a different part of the river to where you fish though.

On 23/03/2020 at 18:51, Carnivore Chris said:

Just saw this. Didn't get a notification bro. We should totally do this! Fish and swim through the amazon in the day then go partying with the meninas at the night, there's no bettering that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.b36cef0e2f9f829f21ca58a805f75f6c.png

Whale sharks: Atomic tests solve age puzzle of the world's largest fish

download.thumb.png.8293c114ae40b19f8c023b8e6fb003b4.png

Data from atomic bomb tests conducted during the Cold War have helped scientists accurately age the world's biggest fish.

Whale sharks are large, slow-moving and docile creatures that mainly inhabit tropical waters.

They are long-lived but scientists have struggled to work out the exact ages of these endangered creatures.

But using the world's radioactive legacy they now have a workable method that can help the species survival.

Whale sharks are both the biggest fish and the biggest sharks in existence.

Growing up to 18m in length, and weighing on average of about 20 tonnes, their distinctive white-spotted colouration makes them easily recognisable.

FULL REPORT

On 27/03/2020 at 05:28, Berserker said:

Just saw this. Didn't get a notification bro. We should totally do this! Fish and swim through the amazon in the day then go partying with the meninas at the night, there's no bettering that!

Meninas 😂 we'll find some tetonas y culonas mate.

I only just noticed this post now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.15cafc22d00985b18bcb54a0ca30377f.png

Japan aquarium asks people to video call eels under lockdown

BB13q9Kq.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

While animals all around the world have relished the chance to reclaim the land as humans recede into their homes during the pandemic, one Japanese aquarium says that the lack of people is actually posing a problem for animals in captivity, specifically eels.

The Sumida Aquarium, which is housed in the Tokyo Skytree tower, noticed that it's (link in Japanese) hundreds of tiny spotted garden eels have started acting oddly, such as burrowing into the sand when aquarium workers pass by the tank. The aquarium says that’s because the eels have become unfamiliar with humans, as it has been closed to visitors since March 1.

Garden eels are by nature highly vigilant and sensitive and do submerge themselves in the sand when triggered, but the aquarium said that the eels had learned to accept the presence of humans because there were so many visitors. Now, as they get used to a human-less environment, the eels’ newfound shyness is making the work of aquarium staff difficult, as they cannot check on the health of the creatures.

According to the California Academy of Sciences, spotted garden eels are often mistaken for plants because of their slim size and the way they burrow partially into the seafloor in order to sweep up passing zooplankton.

In response, the aquarium is launching a three-day “emergency event” starting on May 3, known as the “face-showing festival,” with the goal of “not forgetting the existence of humans.” It is inviting people to call the aquarium’s dedicated account through an iPad or iPhone, and once connected, people are asked to wave or call out to the eels (but not too loudly) for five minutes at a time, during two-time slots a day.

Sumida Aquarium said that the event is also something for people to do during the Golden Week holiday, which began yesterday and lasts until May 6. Traditionally a very busy time for domestic and international travel, Japanese authorities have asked people to stay home as much as possible this year to contain the spread of coronavirus, though there are no strict lockdown measures imposed.

This article features the following image: “Spotted Garden Eel – Heteroconger hassi,” by zsispeo, licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/japan-aquarium-asks-people-to-video-call-eels-under-lockdown/ar-BB13rK2I#image=1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Carnivore Chris said:

It's allowed again!

No night fishing, as that counts as camping aswell but you can go for the day again so I'm Gona go on Saturday for the day.

Night fishing now allowed. Back open as of Monday.

Where I go night fishing it has a huge camp site near it and they are noisy fuckas at weekends but with that not being permitted, it'll be heaven. They can ban that camp site forever as far as I'm concerned!

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

My money is on this being a Catfish not good old Nessie. :D

Quote.thumb.png.e4e5a5e43b9fae50b2e549313e02507c.png

Is this REALLY Nessie? Tourist's photo showing creature rising from water sparks online claims that it could be 'one of the best ever' pictures of Loch Ness Monster

FRAMES - 1/3

BB15SEMA.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

People think a tourist's incredible photographs have captured the Loch Ness Monster with some claiming it is 'the best picture ever' of all the sightings. 

Steve Challice, from Southampton, photographed a creature from the shore opposite to Urquhart Castle on the banks of the Lock Ness when on holiday in Scotland. 

Steve said he saw a ripple in the water and assumed it was a big fish that he estimated was eight feet long.

Steve told the Daily Record he thought it was a catfish and only posted the photos to see if people could help him identify the creature.  

He said: 'In my opinion (and I'm no expert) I think it's a large fish that got into the Loch from the sea. 

'As to what it is personally, I think it's a catfish or something like that but a big one. 

'Someone suggested it may be a sturgeon. 

'It's very large as the bit you can see must be at least 8-foot-long and who can tell what amount is below the surface. 

'The water is very dark in Loch Ness so it's hard to tell. Steve saw a disturbance in the water in front of me and took an image, then a second one and suddenly this fish came out of the water and I got an image of it.  

'It was gone almost instantly so much so I wasn't sure if I had got it or not. 

'I guess it was something of a fluke shot. 

'I waited about for a bit and took another image but didn't see the fish again.' 

He took the photos in September but only had time to look through them during the lockdown.  

When he posted them people kept commenting that the photos looked like the Loch Ness Monster.  

Author Roland Watson, who runs the Loch Ness Mystery blog, said the picture is the best picture of a possible Loch Ness Monster sighting ever. 

Roland included in his blog examples of previous sightings which were unclear 'webcam blobs' making this photo, if real, the clearest one to date. 

But Roland has doubts about whether the pictures are real writing on his blog: 'A zoom in on the object raises an eyebrow'.   

Roland contacted Steve and is in discussion with him about whether the picture has been photoshopped.    

Steve said the photos are real but that he genuinely thinks the photos have only captured a big fish. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/is-this-really-nessie-tourists-photo-showing-creature-rising-from-water-sparks-online-claims-that-it-could-be-one-of-the-best-ever-pictures-of-loch-ness-monster/ar-BB15Ty96#image=1

Catfish can grow bloody big.

wels+catfish+ostiglia+po+river+italy+200

On 24/06/2020 at 09:38, CaaC (John) said:

My money is on this being a Catfish not good old Nessie. :D

Quote.thumb.png.e4e5a5e43b9fae50b2e549313e02507c.png

Is this REALLY Nessie? Tourist's photo showing creature rising from water sparks online claims that it could be 'one of the best ever' pictures of Loch Ness Monster

FRAMES - 1/3

BB15SEMA.img?h=768&w=1366&m=6&q=60&o=f&l

People think a tourist's incredible photographs have captured the Loch Ness Monster with some claiming it is 'the best picture ever' of all the sightings. 

Steve Challice, from Southampton, photographed a creature from the shore opposite to Urquhart Castle on the banks of the Lock Ness when on holiday in Scotland. 

Steve said he saw a ripple in the water and assumed it was a big fish that he estimated was eight feet long.

Steve told the Daily Record he thought it was a catfish and only posted the photos to see if people could help him identify the creature.  

He said: 'In my opinion (and I'm no expert) I think it's a large fish that got into the Loch from the sea. 

'As to what it is personally, I think it's a catfish or something like that but a big one. 

'Someone suggested it may be a sturgeon. 

'It's very large as the bit you can see must be at least 8-foot-long and who can tell what amount is below the surface. 

'The water is very dark in Loch Ness so it's hard to tell. Steve saw a disturbance in the water in front of me and took an image, then a second one and suddenly this fish came out of the water and I got an image of it.  

'It was gone almost instantly so much so I wasn't sure if I had got it or not. 

'I guess it was something of a fluke shot. 

'I waited about for a bit and took another image but didn't see the fish again.' 

He took the photos in September but only had time to look through them during the lockdown.  

When he posted them people kept commenting that the photos looked like the Loch Ness Monster.  

Author Roland Watson, who runs the Loch Ness Mystery blog, said the picture is the best picture of a possible Loch Ness Monster sighting ever. 

Roland included in his blog examples of previous sightings which were unclear 'webcam blobs' making this photo, if real, the clearest one to date. 

But Roland has doubts about whether the pictures are real writing on his blog: 'A zoom in on the object raises an eyebrow'.   

Roland contacted Steve and is in discussion with him about whether the picture has been photoshopped.    

Steve said the photos are real but that he genuinely thinks the photos have only captured a big fish. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/is-this-really-nessie-tourists-photo-showing-creature-rising-from-water-sparks-online-claims-that-it-could-be-one-of-the-best-ever-pictures-of-loch-ness-monster/ar-BB15Ty96#image=1

Catfish can grow bloody big.

I've had these to 70lb on carp rods. My mate snapped a rod and a reel on one last year but still landed it.

It's nothing new to see them the size of your pic though as they grow in excess of 200lb in the River Ebro in Spain and River Po in Italy. But it's very surprising to see them in the lock Ness, although definitely not impossible as they will survive anywhere. They thrive in Chernobyl. They will end up everywhere I suppose and I think they have them in the Thames in London and even the Ribble in Preston.

They were actually introduced into the Ebro in Spain by a German scientist in the 70s and haven't stopped growing since. Since they have a lifespan of 80 years and were only introduced into said river 45 years ago, you'd expect them to grow even bigger.

Honestly, the fight of these things. You know when you have hooked one. I hate them though.

Where are you going to?

Lure type fishing would be a good start for you as I've mentioned before and after a few years of experience, you could start targeting the big sturgeon out in Canada.

I’m starting in a creek near my house, but today I’m getting the fishing rod, so it’s the beginning!

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I've had these to 70lb on carp rods. My mate snapped a rod and a reel on one last year but still landed it.

It's nothing new to see them the size of your pic though as they grow in excess of 200lb in the River Ebro in Spain and River Po in Italy. But it's very surprising to see them in the lock Ness, although definitely not impossible as they will survive anywhere. They thrive in Chernobyl. They will end up everywhere I suppose and I think they have them in the Thames in London and even the Ribble in Preston.

They were actually introduced into the Ebro in Spain by a German scientist in the 70s and haven't stopped growing since. Since they have a lifespan of 80 years and were only introduced into the said river 45 years ago, you'd expect them to grow even bigger.

Honestly, the fight of these things. You know when you have hooked one. I hate them though.

They say under loch ness it is ridden with tunnels and they could lead out to the sea & oceans.

http://www.lochnessinvestigation.com/Tunnels.html

7 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

They say under loch ness it is ridden with tunnels and they could lead out to the sea & oceans.

http://www.lochnessinvestigation.com/Tunnels.html

It's easy for fish to get anywhere anyway, people stock them illegally all the time.

The canal near where I live is full of small carp nowadays and most of these are Ghost carp and Koi carp. People throw them in and since people live next to the canal and have ponds, I'm guessing the floods may have had something to do with that 5 years back as there were some serious floods around then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.fe93c01b0770fbb33cc838d7116b9a53.png

Scientists shed light on how the blackest fish in the sea 'disappear'

1.thumb.png.79e2353c7731b7729542cbf8e65224c6.png

An ocean mystery - how the blackest fish in the deep sea are so extremely black - has been solved in a study that began with a very bad photograph.

"I couldn't get a good shot - just fish silhouettes," said Dr Karen Osborn from the Smithsonian Institution.

Her detailed study of the animal's "ultra-black" skin revealed that it traps light.

While it makes the animals difficult to photograph, marine scientists, say it provides the ultimate camouflage.

2.thumb.png.eb77290bb81137edc47a9df8b03b3ced.png

The discovery, described in the journal Current Biology, could provide the basis for new ultra-black materials, such as coatings for the interior of telescopes or cameras.

Several ultra-black species, according to the research, appear independently to have evolved the exact same trick.

"The particles of pigment in their skin are just the right size and shape to side-scatter any light they don't absorb," Dr Osborn, from the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, explained.

These pigment particles are arranged in a densely-packed, thin layer. "So instead of bouncing the light back out, they scatter it back into the layer - it's a light trap."

3.thumb.png.dbdfb82b56e3b4f7a0ebe747bc12cb9c.png

It was Dr Osborn's frustrated efforts to take good photographs of the deep-sea species she was studying that inspired her and her colleagues to take a much closer - microscopic-scale - look.

"Every picture I took was really bad - it was so frustrating," she told BBC News. "[Then] I noticed they had really strange skin - they're so black, they suck up all the light."

4.thumb.png.741b7007e143dbc27b2fe63749c337d2.png

This light-trapping skin, the researchers say, is the ultimate in deep-sea camouflage - where there is very little light, but where other species - including predators - make their own bioluminescent light.

"You don't know where that light is going to come from," Dr Osborn explained. "So living in the deep sea is like playing hide and seek on a football field - your best shot is to turn green and lay down as flat as you can."

5.thumb.png.9a5e0bc2a10e57a901be0f26c4e53823.png

"Being so very black really helps these creatures to survive."

Her efforts to capture beautifully clear images of these ultra-black species - all of which live at ocean depths of more than 200m - eventually paid off.

"It took a lot of special lighting," she admitted. "And a lot of Photoshop."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53422345

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.d66b7f0060c6902ee70c5d23c7f7b6d3.png

GettyImages-1065365584-a7a2256.jpg?webp=

Mantis shrimp ‘clubs’ inspire a new generation of super-tough materials

Mantis shrimps are able to hit their prey with the force of a rifle bullet without sustaining any damage.

They may be little more than 10cm long but mantis shrimp pack a serious punch – they are able to whip out their club-like forelimbs at 23 metres per second and smash them into their prey with the force of rifle bullet.

Yet despite this tremendous impact, the ancient crustaceans are able to throw blow after blow without sustaining any damage.

Now, material scientists at the University of California, Irvine have discovered that the clubs have a uniquely designed nanoparticle coating that absorbs and dissipates energy.

The finding could have significant implications for engineered materials in the automotive, aerospace and sports industries, they say.

"Think about punching a wall a couple of thousand times at those speeds and not breaking your fist,” said lead researcher Professor David Kisailus. “That’s pretty impressive, and it got us thinking about how this could be.”

The team used transmission electron (TEM) and atomic force microscopes to examine the nanoscale architecture and materials that make up the clubs’ surface layer. They found that the nanoparticles are made of intertwined organic nanocrystals, made from proteins and polysaccharides, and inorganic calcium phosphate nanocrystals. The inorganic nanocrystals are stacked together like Lego pieces, with small differences in the orientation where they join together.

Transmission electron microscope image of hydroxyapatite, a nanoparticle that is one of the components contributing to the toughness and resiliency of the mantis shrimp’s dactyl club. Kisailus lab / UCI

Transmission electron microscope image of hydroxyapatite, a nanoparticle that is one of the components contributing to the toughness and resiliency of the mantis shrimp’s club © Kisailus lab/UCI

“The high-resolution TEM really helped us understand these particles, how they’re architected and how they react under different types of stress. At relatively low strain rates, the particles deform almost like a marshmallow and recover when the stress is relieved,” Prof Kisailus said.

“The particles stiffen and fracture at the nanocrystalline interfaces. When you break something, you’re opening up new surfaces that dissipate significant amounts of energy.”

The structure could be imitated and used to engineer similar particles to add enhanced protective surfaces for use in everything from cars and aircraft to cycle helmets and body armour, the researchers say.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/mantis-shrimp-clubs-could-inspire-a-new-generation-of-super-tough-materials/

• 4 months later...
  • Subscriber

Electric eels work together to zap prey

VIDEO

622189468_download(3).thumb.png.e8aa182df4dbc2883bb7438e066b948f.png

More than 200 years after the electric eel inspired the design of the first battery, it has been discovered that they can co-ordinate their "zaps".

Researchers working in the Amazon filmed eels gathering in packs to herd prey, then stunning them with a synchronised electric shock.

"It was really amazing - we thought these were solitary animals," said researcher Carlos David de Santana.

The discovery is published in the journal Ecology and Evolution.

Douglas Bastos, from the National Centre for Amazonian Research in Manaus, Brazil, filmed the behaviour - capturing the moment of the collective electric strike. Small fish, called tetras, are the target of the attack; they fly into the air and land stunned and motionless on the water.

Dr de Santana, who works at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, was amazed when he saw this behaviour

FULL REPORT

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Life below zero

The Antarctic delivers surprising insights into life and survival.

871475073_download(1).thumb.png.95e20ef360bbaf07379998c929328bef.png

Life continues to amaze.

Hundreds of metres below Antarctic ice, in complete darkness and temperatures below zero, scientists have discovered a community of animals that expands knowledge about survival in frosty conditions.

They found the lifeforms, which consist of various sponges and other potentially unknown species, living on rock 260 kilometres in from the front of the ice shelf and up to 1500 kilometres upstream from the closest source of photosynthesis.

“This discovery is one of those fortunate accidents that pushes ideas in a different direction and shows us that Antarctic marine life is incredibly special and amazingly adapted to a frozen world,” says Huw Griffiths from the British Antarctic Survey. 

Griffiths is the lead author of a paper titled “Breaking all the rules: The first recorded hard substrate sessile benthic community far beneath an Antarctic ice shelf,” published in the journal Frontiers in Marine Science.

The authors explain that current theories suggest the diversity of sessile lifeforms (stationary beings that include mussels, barnacles and coral) diminishes as you move further away from the ice shelf front, sunlight and nutrient availability. What’s left are small nomadic scavengers and predators that have previously been observed, such as fish, worms, krill and jellyfish.

download.thumb.png.a0599850e6b138241f45ddfd0cf12f17.png

The geologists were drilling through 900 metres of ice in the Filchner-Ronne Ice Shelf on the South Eastern Weddell Sea to collect sediment samples from the ocean floor. They were surprised to strike rock instead, and even more so by remote video footage that revealed a metre-long boulder covered in an assortment of marine fauna.

Such filter-feeding communities typically thrive on an abundance of plankton from above, which grow in response to summer melt and uninterrupted daylight. Underneath the ice, it was thought sessile feeders were restricted to food sources close to the shelf front, and they say none were previously found this far out.

The authors write that this discovery challenges our understanding of what types of organisms can survive so far from daylight and that there are wider implications with regards to the evolution of Earth’s first complex organisms (in particular through the “snowball earth” period), astrobiology and the survival of polar organisms during more recent glacial maxima.”

Similar types of fauna have been found under ice shelves before, notes Jonathan Stark from the Australian Antarctic Division, who wasn’t involved in the study. He points to filter feeders listed in the article such as bryozoans, ascidians, holothurians and sponges also found long distances from open water – albeit on sediments.

“While this study confirms that these organisms can be found on the rare bit of solid bottom – boulders or rock – under ice shelves,” he says, “it’s not really surprising given the very small area investigated to date.”

There is much to learn. As the study team notes: “Given that our combined knowledge of in-situ under-ice-shelf habitats (more than 1.5 million square kilometres) is drawn from 10 discrete observations covering an area comparable to that of a tennis court, it should not come as a surprise that we are still discovering previously unseen types of sub-ice-shelf communities far from open water.”

Do these communities have unknown connections to the outside world or have they developed special extreme adaptations? Such findings raise a flurry of questions such as how and when the creatures got there, what they eat, whether they are new species and how many there are. 

It also raises concerns about the fate of the ecosystems as climate change collapses the ice, putting pressure on polar scientists to learn more before they disappear – no small task at such a remote site, which calls for new and innovative approaches, according to Griffiths.

“To answer our questions we will have to find a way of getting up close with these animals and their environment.”

https://cosmosmagazine.com/science/biology/life-below-zero/

Archived