talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can Leeds United finally return to the Premier League?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long hard season in the Championship.  Not sure about their depth and whether they can overcome injuries and suspensions. However, they do look good and my relatives in Leeds are smiling.

Not a fan of Leeds, remember their teams from the 60's and early 70's but  would enjoy seeing them back in the top division.  In fact I would be happy to see Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Nottingham Forest and Derby back in the Premier, would be great to see Premier football when I am back in England visiting family.

Their goals against Stoke were hardly dicking them, two of them fortunate.

It's a long season but a 4-1 win over Derby does set a benchmark for them, but with that said Reading could easily have scored another 2-3 against Derby.

Well, the early signs are very good. They have comfortably beaten two sides that are no mugs, and all the players seem to be buying in to the ethos and the ideas of a man recognised as a genius.

What has most impressed me is that this is largely the same players as last season. The four players that have been most impressive are players that were there last season. Klich, Alioski, Saiz and Roofe. The only one of those four that you could say was definitely good enough for Leeds United was Saiz. 

Fingers crossed they keep Bielsa happy off the pitch. If he walks it could go to absolute shit.

• Administrator

Would love to see it as we need some @Lucas in the Premier league section. And cos they play some lovely football under Bielsa. Just hope they don't tail off after Christmas if they continue the form they gave now up to then. 

Only potential problem I see is some sort of implosion, obviously it's early days and they will experience blips but Bielsa is a class above any manager in that league and many in the league above. They already show signs of adapting to his style, it's looking positive. However, both the club and manager are prone to random, inexplicable thinking and a poor run or even just a fit of pique could see either party end the relationship prematurely. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Only potential problem I see is some sort of implosion, obviously it's early days and they will experience blips but Bielsa is a class above any manager in that league and many in the league above. They already show signs of adapting to his style, it's looking positive. However, both the club and manager are prone to random, inexplicable thinking and a poor run or even just a fit of pique could see either party end the relationship prematurely. 

Literally this, it's Leeds and it's Bielsa...could not have any more reason for it to go tits up at some point

I hope Leeds go up only so they get a better kit manufacturer.

• Subscriber

I don't think they will go up. I think they'll be the leagues most entertaining side (and honestly, this first two games they'd have beaten a lot of PL sides) but the problem with Bielsa isn't on their day capability, it's maintaining it. They'll likely burn out soon. Strangely that's something Leeds seem to manage most years anyway xD

I agree with someone on Twitter who said that Leeds won't go up under him, but they'll learn some really valuable stuff under him and that'll make it worth it.

I'd like to see them go up though.

I would agree with a lot that has been said. I don't know a great deal about Bielsa's previous stints other than they infamously start well and peter out and I really don't know how our players will cope with the demands he'll continuously set.

I've seen enough of Leeds to never get too OTT or excited and I won't be starting now. We were top of the league after 7 games last year and look what happened.

But it's been a cracking start, nearly faultless. 3-1 v the title favourites, and 4-1 away at a team tipped for playoffs minimum. Going forward we look absolutely ace, playing out from the back and constructing an attack but off the ball looks so much better too.

My question mark is defensively. The way we play does give teams a chance against us. We have a young teenage keeper learning his trade, he will make mistakes as he did yesterday. We have a full back in at CB at the moment in Berardi and it's fairly evident he's an accident waiting to happen there. Sooner Bielsa plays Pontus Jansson back there the better.

I also fear if we lose big players, the squad doesn't have the quality to replace them. But that said, right now we have players I wouldn't have wanted starting for us playing out their skin because of Bielsa's impact. So I guess all we can do is see what happens.

As per usual with Leeds, all the attention is on us and it will be an up and down ride. Nothing is straight forward with us.

Would be great to see. I have never been a Leeds man myself, however I have always loved @Lucas so I'd be so damn happy for him if they were able to get promoted. 

However, it's only 2 games,  and there is so much football left. 

I actually remember our last game with them, it was the final game of the 2003-04 season when they went down. Jesper score the only goal, incredible that 15-16 years passed by in a blink of any eye. Back than i was in my teen's now i am an old cunt.

Don't like Leeds but Lucas is a really cool guy, it would be nice for him if they made it back.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I would genuinely be perplexed leaving the Football League board. It's literally all I've ever known xD

come to the dark side ;) 

I would be happy to have Leeds back in the top league. It's a long way to go in the Championship with plenty of clubs who could improve over the coming weeks. Would have thought both Stoke and West Brom would have started better than they have and feel confident at least one of those two clubs will take an automatic promotion place.

As ever the championship will be wonderful entertainment over the winter & into spring.

On 14/08/2018 at 13:30, DeadLinesman said:

Hope they get relegated to be honest.

I was at the Theatre of Parked Buses on Friday, and was surprised that your singing element were changing about hating Leeds United. 

Sure, I took it as a poke in the nose to City, as if you see them as a non-rival - but I found it fascinating nonetheless. Half those lads chanting would have been at primary school the last time Leeds popped up on United's radar...

6 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

I was at the Theatre of Parked Buses on Friday, and was surprised that your singing element were changing about hating Leeds United. 

Sure, I took it as a poke in the nose to City, as if you see them as a non-rival - but I found it fascinating nonetheless. Half those lads chanting would have been at primary school the last time Leeds popped up on United's radar...

It can't surprise you? There are supporters of clubs that have never even met someone from the city or country of the clubs they hate, some kids singings songs learnt from their dads is nothing.

8 minutes ago, Danny said:

It can't surprise you? There are supporters of clubs that have never even met someone from the city or country of the clubs they hate, some kids singings songs learnt from their dads is nothing.

It's bizarre that it's still a two-way hate though. Leeds fans could perhaps be jealous of Man United's success and hold resentment, but surely United would almost see them as a mild irritant these days? 

It's like, we don't sing about United these days, as they're echelons away from us. United never cared about us, and that's fine, but for a good decade, we could legitimately class them as a rival. Yes, most of us loathe the bastards, but singing en masse would just seem... weird these days. They're playing 4D chess while we're hitting a hoop with a stick.

Archived