talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Can Leeds United finally return to the Premier League?

2 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

It's bizarre that it's still a two-way hate though. Leeds fans could perhaps be jealous of Man United's success and hold resentment, but surely United would almost see them as a mild irritant these days? 

It's like, we don't sing about United these days, as they're echelons away from us. United never cared about us, and that's fine, but for a good decade, we could legitimately class them as a rival. Yes, most of us loathe the bastards, but singing en masse would just seem... weird these days - they're playing 4D chess while we're hitting a hoop with a stick.

Different perspective though, Leeds are historically a massive club, as are United. Even though Leeds are in the Championship they're still well supported.

If you look at United the only proper rivals they've got now are City (who lets face it are not their biggest) and Liverpool. They had Arsenal for a bit but that's long gone now. I think United fans would want Leeds back up simply for the rivalry.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Different perspective though, Leeds are historically a massive club, as are United. Even though Leeds are in the Championship they're still well supported.

If you look at United the only proper rivals they've got now are City (who lets face it are not their biggest) and Liverpool. They had Arsenal for a bit but that's long gone now. I think United fans would want Leeds back up simply for the rivalry.

Fair post.

Maybe they just miss each other. Aww.

Although, I'm sure the police forces of Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire hope Leeds don't go up this season...

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I just fucking hate Leeds. There an absolute irrelevance to us, but for me, still a hated rival from back in the day. Many a war at OT and Elland Road over the years.

To be fair, seeing Alan Smith cry at the Reebok after we sent them down is still one of my favourite footballing memories. There's just something grating about Yorkshiremen, isn't there?

3 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I just fucking hate Leeds. There an absolute irrelevance to us, but for me, still a hated rival from back in the day. Many a war at OT and Elland Road over the years.

And this is why I love Leeds so much.

I got some good mates who support your mob and the one thing they always say is how much they hate us. Like proper hate. I think we thrive on knowing we are like an itch that won't go away to you.

It must be absolute bollocks for some teams not to have this kind of animosity. Leeds and United will always be a massive fixture no matter how many years have passed since it was a regular match up.

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

And this is why I love Leeds so much.

I got some good mates who support your mob and the one thing they always say is how much they hate us. Like proper hate. I think we thrive on knowing we are like an itch that won't go away to you.

It must be absolute bollocks for some teams not to have this kind of animosity. Leeds and United will always be a massive fixture no matter how many years have passed since it was a regular match up.

Watched this live, and loved every minute. 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

Watched this live, and loved every minute. 

Great day. Cracking result obviously and one that can't ever be taken away from us in terms of embarassing them on their own turf. I think the fact they chose the underdogs visiting the favourites shows the size of the fixture it is.

That said, and speaking brutally honest here, I find the Leeds fans that continuously harp on about this (and plenty do) as a massive dose of double standards.

You can't live off a result like this and celebrate it like Hereford United beating Newcastle, and expect everyone to still consider you a big rival. Equally you can't lambast fans for treasuring the 'cup finals'they have had over us.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Great day. Cracking result obviously and one that can't ever be taken away from us in terms of embarassing them on their own turf. I think the fact they chose the underdogs visiting the favourites shows the size of the fixture it is.

That said, and speaking brutally honest here, I find the Leeds fans that continuously harp on about this (and plenty do) as a massive dose of double standards.

You can't live off a result like this and celebrate it like Hereford United beating Newcastle, and expect everyone to still consider you a big rival. Equally you can't lambast fans for treasuring the 'cup finals'they have had over us.

Excellent post.

7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Well said. I have thought it would be great for the sport for both Leeds and Man U to be in the EPL, I think the massive significance in the win with Beckford's goal was that most of us believe that in 10-15 years times we will look back and talk about the 'lean' years during Leed's history, yet still during these lean years, you were able to go to OT and beat Man U. 

Archived