talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

I would leave it all for a bit of Klopp!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Never!

I know! xD

But it has always made me wonder how you asses anything (in terms of possible signings) connected to Liverpool.

For someone that loves football as much as you obviously do, it seems (at least to me) strange that you don’t broaden your horizons because Liverpool don’t play everyday. 

13 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I know! xD

But it has always made me wonder how you asses anything (in terms of possible signings) connected to Liverpool.

For someone that loves football as much as you obviously do, it seems (at least to me) strange that you don’t broaden your horizons because Liverpool don’t play everyday. 

Just because I don't venture from the PL section on here, doesn't mean I don't watch football outside of the PL. 

And if for any reason I need information I'm not privy too, I just ask you xD

Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Just because I don't venture from the PL section on here, doesn't mean I don't watch football outside of the PL. 

And if for any reason I need information I'm not privy too, I just ask you xD

xD

But you do understand that for the forum aside from interaction from yourself it would be great for your opinion and comments on other games outside English football?

I think both yourself and us (obviously) are missing out on that detail mate. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

xD

But you do understand that for the forum aside from interaction from yourself it would be great for your opinion and comments on other games outside English football?

I think both yourself and us (obviously) are missing out on that detail mate. 

Ok I'll do my best to venture out from time to time :D

Honestly, I hope Klopp, Pep and Poch all stay at their clubs for a long time. I hope Sarri does well at Chelsea too and ends up doing well and staying for a long time, even though Chelsea managers and staying around for a long time isn't really something that happens... With the insane amount of money in the league and with how competitive the good sides are, it's great having these great managers with sides that play attractive football here. The most legendary managers in English football are those that stuck around forever and things like that iconic Wenger v. Fergie duel (which was once seemingly a never ending struggle between them) are what we will remember about that era of our league. Now we've got some great managers building great sides. And have you seen the top 6's net spend? 1. City, £404m 2. United, £320m 3. Chelsea, £208m 4. Arsenal, £162m 5. Liverpool, £126m 6. Spurs, £45m - Spurs blows my mind*. Poch's built a really class side with a 3rd the budget of the next closest big spender in the top 6 & both of those sides have spent less than the next highest spender... and people want to pile pressure on their managers. Who are in the midst of building something very cool for the supporters of their respective clubs. I don't understand why we'd want to encourage clubs sacking managers of sides who are progressing - but some people love it.

We should be wanting more positive thinking managers that play attractive football and can get their clubs to steadily progress, even if it doesn't result in trophies immediately, because they're building up to that. And they're against the most profitable club in the world and the richest club in the world (that also has Pep Guardiola, who's probably the most influential manager in this era of football). I'm happy as fuck that right now there's so much ambition in the top 6 (and in the league trying to break up the status quo) and I hope all of these managers keep up the good work and all enjoy some forms of success so we can keep them at their clubs for as long as possible. We've got shitloads of money to burn in this league, why not want good managers who play sexy football at our top clubs, giving us sexy football to enjoy?

*These stats are only since Klopp's arrival because they're cherry picked from an LFC source. And just for fun, Everton's net spend in the same time period is £141.92m according to some website called Royal Blue Mersey.

2 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

Wonder if Klopp is too one deminsional and lacks the tactical nuance to switch it up if his first plan of action isnt working?  Does he have a plan B or plan C?

Well he doesn't have a Felliani to lump it up to if that's what you mean :ph34r:

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

*These stats are only since Klopp's arrival because they're cherry picked from an LFC source. And just for fun, Everton's net spend in the same time period is £141.92m according to some website called Royal Blue Mersey.

What time period is that? Not impossible and it seems a bit over-inflated given that we sold Stones and Lukaku for £140m between them and I doubt we've spent almost £300m.

*Thinks*

Bolasie 25m

Pickford 30m

Keane 30m

Williams 10m

Lookman 10m

Sigurdsson 45m

Klaassen 20m

Sandro 5m

Richarlison 40m

Mina 30m

Digne 20m

Actually that might not be far off, disappointing but further evidence of the devastation caused by Walsh and Koeman. Those of us that recognise it need to campaign for awareness on this one because so much of our mismanagement gets laid at the door of "the club" and yes someone is responsible for putting those two nobheads in charge of the money but at least they're gone now, lessons have been learned and "the club" shouldn't be exhibiting that self destructive behaviour any more.

Back on topic anyway...

32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

What time period is that? Not impossible and it seems a bit over-inflated given that we sold Stones and Lukaku for £140m between them and I doubt we've spent almost £300m.

[big list of players & their fees]

Actually that might not be far off, disappointing but further evidence of the devastation caused by Walsh and Koeman. Those of us that recognise it need to campaign for awareness on this one because so much of our mismanagement gets laid at the door of "the club" and yes someone is responsible for putting those two nobheads in charge of the money but at least they're gone now, lessons have been learned and "the club" shouldn't be exhibiting that self destructive behaviour any more.

October 2015 - now. Yeah, it just goes to show how easy it is to quickly spend money if the transfer strategy is simply to throw money at problems without really thinking about whether the players brought in will actually improve the side - which is what we saw from Everton last season. I don't know if that Royal Blue Mersey website is 100% accurate or anything, but it goes to show that spending big without a plan isn't going to guarantee success. It's not like we didn't know that though.

It's also not like Everton haven't learned a bit from their mistakes. Honestly, it reminds me a bit of when FSG first came in with us - they had ambition but they knew fuck all about football. But they spent a lot of money to demonstrate their ambition. Unfortunately, Damien Comolli was the man tasked with spending that money and he did not have the greatest eye for talent (although Suarez was pretty decent). Bringing in an experienced DoF with Brands should go a long way to making things a bit better, as he's got experience in that sort of role and isn't being handed an extraordinary amount of power as compared to previous times in their career - like Walsh & Comolli - and he's demonstrated a decent eye for talent with PSV.

I think the future looks brighter for you than it did last season tbh.

1 hour ago, Redcanuck said:

Wonder if Klopp is too one deminsional and lacks the tactical nuance to switch it up if his first plan of action isnt working?  Does he have a plan B or plan C?

Doesn't really seem to get in the way of Pep Guardiola does it? Either way, I think it's just wrong to say that Klopp doesn't change up his tactics, he's just very extreme about it. But look at our match against Roma at Anfield. Controlling possession in the midfield, like we normally like to, just wasn't really possible because they had a very very impressive midfield and while ours was good... they simply had a better one. So we bypassed the midfield entirely and went very direct.

Something we didn't really have last season with Lucas gone is a "pure" defensive midfielder - because while people for some reason think Emre Can is... he isn't/wasn't a defensive midfielder and he won't be. The closest thing we really had to that is Jordan Henderson, and the skipper really isn't a traditional holding midfielder - he's just a very well rounded midfielder. Next closest to that was Gini - who's again sort of a very well rounded midfielder. They can do a job in the role, but if our midfield really needed to lock down a match we couldn't throw on a pure defensive midfielder to keep things tight. Now we've got Fabinho for that, who's probably not going to play much in the first half of the season as he said he's "getting used to our system" - which is what Robertson and the Ox said last season before they became regulars, but I think having a real defensive midfielder will go a long way for giving us tactical flexibility. And go a long way for making our midfield much stronger overall.

Similarly, last season if we had to pull of Mane or Salah... we, by necessity, had abandoned Plan A. Because Plan A was reliant on Mane and Salah and their pace from out wide. So in another sense, now we don't have to pull away from our most preferred system as much because Shaqiri might not be anywhere near as good as the other two, but he's certainly a better replacement than Solanke or a paceless Lallana in the position. So another reason to want us to keep Klopp is he very clearly understands the squads strengths and has made signings like Fabinho, Shaqiri, and Alisson that all fill clear deficiencies in our squad that were evident in the last season.

If Klopp was such a tactical amateur, I don't think we'd look so far from the side he inherited. Not just in terms of personnel, but in terms of our general outlook and approach to matches. Because Rodgers was really more of the manager that lacked tactical nuance and went all out attack, and could not adjust properly once it was clear his tactics were no longer working and no world class Suarez to paper over our tactical deficiencies. Sure, he's spent a lot on certain players - but he's also held out and been willing to spend on what he thinks are the "right" players. So far those players have ended up being players like Mane, Salah, and VVD - so he's got my trust.

Liverpool are on an upward curve because of him so it's understandable why Liverpool fans think so highly of him but the heavy investment (which he's apparently against...) is a big part of and it'll all be for nothing if he doesn't win something that justifies the money spent.

08/09-17/18: 2nd, 7th, 6th, 8th+League Cup, 7th, 2nd, 6th | 8th, 4th, 4th.

People don't realise it because the media don't point it out but for a club like Liverpool, it's been quite a mediocre past decade and they don't have the excuse of not being able to spend. Things are now going well but they're gonna have to deliver. "It feels like we're winners" isn't good enough.

22 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Liverpool are on an upward curve because of him so it's understandable why Liverpool fans think so highly of him but the heavy investment (which he's apparently against...) is a big part of and it'll all be for nothing if he doesn't win something that justifies the money spent.

08/09-17/18: 2nd, 7th, 6th, 8th+League Cup, 7th, 2nd, 6th | 8th, 4th, 4th.

People don't realise it because the media don't point it out but for a club like Liverpool, it's been quite a mediocre past decade and they don't have the excuse of not being able to spend. Things are now going well but they're gonna have to deliver. "It feels like we're winners" isn't good enough.

A few of those years listed (including one where we came second) we were hamstrung by Gillet and Hicks bleeding us dry, then the Hodgson debacle (which when we were looking like relegation battlers, everyone here and in the media was telling us we needed to be patient with a man who was very clearly out of his depth). Then FSG came in, Dalglish came in for a temporary boost where instead of looking like relegation battlers we looked like a semi-decent side... and then in the following season Comolli and him proved that modern football had left Dalglish's tactics behind & that Comolli is a fraud. Then a few years of Brendan Rodgers, which was pretty shite other than one year in all honesty... but again Rodgers is still pretty highly rated by people who think he didn't get a fair shake despite having the wheels pop way the fuck off for us after Suarez left and apparently took all of Rodgers' tactical ideas with him.

If you're going to blame Klopp for the years of mismanagement, both on the pitch and off the pitch for us, that's a bit silly. As is giving Klopp money for spending big, what are we supposed to do - not spend the Coutinho money & our annual transfer budget? Although I do agree it was stupid of him to make a statement like that, because now he comes off as a hypocrite so some people are just going to hang onto it. But it is his job to make signings for us that keep us strong. And as stated above, our net spend in the top 6 is the 2nd lowest; but honestly when I look at that stat all I think is "wow Spurs are pretty well run to be as good as they are without spending anywhere near as much of their own cash."

In any case, the league is what all Liverpool fans want the squad to go out and win, then the CL, and while the FA cup or league cup would be nice... I don't think our success/failure in those competitions is our real focus right now. The two competitions that we're measuring for our progress are the league, where we're competing against 5 (more realistically 3) very strong sides in a very competitive league - so it's not a given that spending will result in success (just ask Manchester United). And then in the CL, you have to play some insanely good sides.

I'm not going to call for more pressure on the manager when he's doing a good job and we're getting better with each successive season. When Klopp came in in 2015, did you think that in May of 2018 he'd be in a CL final? I didn't. Call for pressure on the manager when they've lost the plot and it doesn't look like they'll get back on track. And I even think that managers who've proven they can succeed at a club can be afforded a shite season tbh. Short termism and extra pressure on managers, generally speaking, hasn't really panned out for any English clubs that aren't owned by oil barons, which we aren't.

Archived