talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga - Week 1 Fixtures - 17th-20th August 2018

football forum

• Administrator

just seen the Sociedad goals against Villarreal. 

2 terrible blunders from each of the centre-backs for Villarreal - one of them being from Ramiro Funes Mori. 

Must be so frustrating as a manager when you plan and work out tactics to try and win the game and then your defenders go and do that xD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi is Messi and nothing compares.  Let's just leave that bit like that!

Had it not been for Pacheco (Alavés keeper) it would've been 6 or 7 easily...  A great performance by Dembélé (this seems to be his season) and even Ter Stegen had time to show some football skills.  There were some great moments and clear goal scoring opportunities that were either saved or fluffed (you choose)... Luis Suárez was the culpable on various occasions with that but he'll get back into the swing of things because the worry would be if he wasn't getting himself into goal scoring opportunities.

Anyway... Great start and 3 points on the board!

30 minutes ago, Danny said:

47,000 empty seats at the Camp Nou...

This has happened forever when La Liga has started in August mate.  Most socios (members) are on holiday (most people in Spain take their holidays in August) and you get massive absentees at games until September.

8 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

This has happened forever when La Liga has started in August mate.  Most socios (members) are on holiday (most people in Spain take their holidays in August) and you get massive absentees at games until September.

Don't get me wrong everyone suffers with it, late August-early September are the cheapest times to holiday whilst still getting the good weather. But 47000 empty seats, that's an embarrassing number.

31 minutes ago, Danny said:

Don't get me wrong everyone suffers with it, late August-early September are the cheapest times to holiday whilst still getting the good weather. But 47000 empty seats, that's an embarrassing number.

It is and it's happened before with even more numbers missing.  80% of the stadium is inhabited by its members and they can't even pass their season ticket onto someone else because they're not there to do it.  I would say that yesterday the high majority of attendance was tourists.

All 3 were class goals and I think the team which played in the second half is Valverde's current strongest line-up, with Coutinho playing deeper and Dembele as part of a front 3 with Messi and Suarez.

This is a strong squad overall. There have certainly been better starting 11s(although that is still very strong as well) but the depth of the squad is certainly an improvement for me and you'd expect Valverde to utilise it well this season.

34 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

All 3 were class goals and I think the team which played in the second half is Valverde's current strongest line-up, with Coutinho playing deeper and Dembele as part of a front 3 with Messi and Suarez.

This is a strong squad overall. There have certainly been better starting 11s(although that is still very strong as well) but the depth of the squad is certainly an improvement for me and you'd expect Valverde to utilise it well this season.

I would say that right now unless Real Madrid sign a few players that both Atlético Madrid and Barcelona have by far the strongest squads with depth.

Expected more from Rayo, who look very disorganized and unable to deal with Sevilla's system.

As for Sevilla, the big question for them is how that midfield two of Banega and Mesa would do against better opposition and whether or not they would get overrun. Also whether Silva is going to work out for them as they have lacked a striker of high quality for a while now. Would have also thought they would have spent a bit more considering some of the money they made from their departures this summer.

• Administrator

so who had Carvajal first scorer xD. Good header to be fair, cleverly done.

Ramos had a goal disallowed and looked to have gained a penalty but offside prevented that.

Getafe are showing nothing like they could do and I expect Real to score 2 or 3 more. Not sure Navas has even been tested.

46 minutes ago, Marc said:

Why on earth is the Real Madrid game kicking off so late?

The heat mate, a lot of the games this weekend have had water breaks as well. TV scheduling and audiences also plays a part I would imagine.

The Spanish days are also longer and it's part of their culture to do things later as well.

Bale is arguably a far better free kicker than Cristiano Ronaldo, but at this point he lacks the self-awareness of the later (and Messi's) of getting free kicks at will  in critical positions (of metaphorically telling himself: I want a free kick here and I want it now... and getting it).

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Looked a penalty to me on Asensio there. Surprised the VAR team don’t think so. Maybe the theatrical fall by the player has put them off. 

agreed. ref had a clear view of it as well. The defender clearly puts 2 hands on Asensio.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived