talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City Academy Coach In Trouble for Alleged Racial Slur

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

He may not have used a racial slur or said anything overtly racist, but there's an implication there. Black skin isn't a trait that affects one's ability to play football in any way, so why mention it unless you're using it as shorthand, consciously or unconsciously, for something else?

It's not really that bad even for me and I'm very anti racist but I think it's better if football is carefull. Not something you should loose your job over but i can understand why a some may prefer it not to be said. 

18 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

There's not even 1% of Co2 in our atmosphere :coffee:  ..."Nitrogen, oxygen and argon together comprise more than 99 percent of the atmosphere, The next most abundant gases--water vapor and carbon dioxide" :readthemessage:

Well scientists disagree and they know a lot more than you

Funnily enough I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is dark skinned during the England game against Panama and he raised the point that when people talk about the qualities of black footballers people always say they're big or use a term like rapid, fast or quick.

I thought about it and he was actually right. I've done it multiple times about Antonio before that when we were linked to him, and when I think of Palace i think of pace. 

Then in the pub people alluded to Reuben Loftus-Cheek being big and quick, Raheem Sterling being quick, Jesse Lingard being quick and Ashley Young being quick all in the second half. That included the commentators too.

Maybe it is a taboo that needs breaking over time. Whilst I dont think people will be pissed off that Tim aged 19, the United fans with 200 followers on Twitter using an analogy to describe black people as big and quick, this scenario is different. Having somebody in an authorative role with players development at the best club in England using terms like BBQ to emphasise they're only big and quick will piss people off as it shows a large amount of arrogance from somebody that actually has a tremendous amount of power.

14 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Jesus, this forum really is the pits in terms of intelligence.

Yeah, absolutely no need for people to start going on about genitalia and to randomly use the term queer when it has no relevance to the discussion at all. Come on, you're all better than that.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

Funnily enough I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is dark skinned during the England game against Panama and he raised the point that when people talk about the qualities of black footballers people always say they're big or use a term like rapid, fast or quick.

I thought about it and he was actually right. I've done it multiple times about Antonio before that when we were linked to him, and when I think of Palace i think of pace. 

Then in the pub people alluded to Reuben Loftus-Cheek being big and quick, Raheem Sterling being quick, Jesse Lingard being quick and Ashley Young being quick all in the second half. That included the commentators too.

Maybe it is a taboo that needs breaking over time. Whilst I dont think people will be pissed off that Tim aged 19, the United fans with 200 followers on Twitter using an analogy to describe black people as big and quick, this scenario is different. Having somebody in an authorative role with players development at the best club in England using terms like BBQ to emphasise they're only big and quick will piss people off as it shows a large amount of arrogance from somebody that actually has a tremendous amount of power.

Look at Rugby mate, at least in England, generally if a black player is faster or stronger than everyone else they're normally referred to as beasts, freaks of nature, some form of non-human description. Not that a white player has never been referred to as that, but generally white players are referred to by their Rugby skills rather than physical attributes, and generally people being referred to by physical attributes are not normally compared to other humans but animals. It's more of a subconscious thing there as the association is generally black = more likely to be quick and big, where as white = more likely to be skilful or tactical.

Here's a story, I was once in a pub with my cousin who is mixed race. We're sat down watching the football and get chatting to this couple who were watching and apparently my cousin played football near where they live, after finding out my cousin plays football, and after only knowing these two whilst being sat down, in a completely stationary position, the bloke says to my cousin "oh yeah, you do look fast". In this case him seeing my cousin's afro hair and slightly darker skin and coming to the conclusion that that must make him fast. Honestly we still laugh about it to this day it was so fucking weird.

really guys.   if the color of the person's skin is black.    how will you call it ??? dark skin ?? of course you'll use the word black.

BBQ - BIG. BLACK. QUICK.      if a person is black and he is big and he is quick.   then why get offended with the word black ???

has the world become too soft ?? or too self righteous when it comes to using terminologies ???

2 hours ago, Marc said:

This place is the low of the low. Well said @The Artful Dodger

This forum absolutely battered all other competition in terms of post count and quality throughout the entirety of the summer. It's also trebled this year in terms of volume and traffic to the place. It's going to grow year on year largely thanks to a core group of members that have been happy to donate their cash and will be here for years on end. This place is getting better, and will continue to do that.

What it doesn't benefit from is people like yourself who, when they feel like it, produce some sort of split persona and ramble on about agendas that dont exist. It is boring as fuck. This forum is not the 'lowest of the low', if you think that by all means then leave.  

3 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

This forum absolutely battered all other competition in terms of post count and quality throughout the entirety of the summer. It's also trebled this year in terms of volume and traffic to the place. It's going to grow year on year largely thanks to a core group of members that have been happy to donate their cash and will be here for years on end. This place is getting better, and will continue to do that.

What it doesn't benefit from is people like yourself who, when they feel like it, produce some sort of split persona and ramble on about agendas that dont exist. It is boring as fuck. This forum is not the 'lowest of the low', if you think that by all means then leave.  

This forum certainly didn't batter anyone away in terms of quality. Far too many trolls on here.

The majority of the people that have posted in this topic fail to understand how what the man City academy has done (racial stereotyping) is racist. It's really concerning.

Talk about your post counts all you want, but when not just a few individuals but what seems like the majority of people brush racism under the carpet and just refer to those that disagree as snowflakes it's concerning to me.

I won't be the only person thinking this.

It's stereotyping more than anything. However I do agree that it shouldn't of been used in a professional setting. It's racial profiling, and regardless of intent, it is naive or sheer negligence to think others wouldn't find it offensive. 

And yes, I do accept the irony of 'white men can't jump', which in itself is also racial profiling. 

27 minutes ago, Cicero said:

It's stereotyping more than anything. However I do agree that it shouldn't of been used in a professional setting. It's racial profiling, and regardless of intent, it is naive or sheer negligence to think others wouldn't find it offensive. 

And yes, I do accept the irony of 'white men can't jump', which in itself is also racial profiling. 

This. This is correct. It's up to Man City as to how they handle it. I imagine if it's like most corporate settings, if it's his first offense with anything like this he'll probably get an unpaid leave of absence and then have to sit through some racial sensitivity course. And if it's not, he'll get sacked.

Well even outside of a professional setting, racial stereotyping/profiling shouldn't really be acceptable. Widespread generalisations about large groups of people are usually stupiid tbh.

18 hours ago, Marc said:

This forum certainly didn't batter anyone away in terms of quality. Far too many trolls on here.

The majority of the people that have posted in this topic fail to understand how what the man City academy has done (racial stereotyping) is racist. It's really concerning.

Talk about your post counts all you want, but when not just a few individuals but what seems like the majority of people brush racism under the carpet and just refer to those that disagree as snowflakes it's concerning to me.

I won't be the only person thinking this.

Come on mate, you can do better than that xD

I'm actually in agreement with yourself that the remark (especially from somebody in an influential role) smacks of ignorance regardless if he intended to be offensive or not.

I think most people saw this as 'positive stereotyping' rather than 'racial profiling' and it can easily be construed as either, hence the responses.

19 hours ago, Cicero said:

Racism is also systemic, terms like BBQ add to stereotypes that have been long held by communities, businesses and governments. Profiling like "white men cant jump" is not systemic and nor does it have a slavery based and/or genocidal past. What aboutisms just tries to avoid the history of racism and attempts to bring a level of equality to the discrimination at hand that doesn't exist, simply to allow racism to exist.

I realise you weren't arguing that the term white men cant jump is equal to stereotypes like "BBQ" by the way.

Archived