talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 18th August - Cardiff 0-0 Newcastle

football forum

Karma for Kenedy. I hope the FA take retrospective action as it was really poor behaviour by Kenedy.

The challenges in general today from both teams were pretty poor - Hayden and Arter also - as was the game with very little quality on show.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure what people expected of that Newcastle team. There weren't any new signings in the line up and Joselu was upfront because we've let Gayle go. With Yedlin out as well that was a step backwards of a line up. Last season when things were turned around it was because we found and established a set 11 that worked enough.

We've signed a bunch of squad players and now we have to try and find an 11 again in the hope that we can comfortably stay up.

Rafa delivered a team last year that pretty much stayed in the vast majority of games. We lost 1-0 something like 14 times. Fine margins either side. That's what this was again. If we were ran by anyone with any sort of nous and footballing intelligence they would know we should have gone out there looking for a couple of decent calibre players who could help shift us from still in the game to taking the game. Instead Rafa was given a budget of scraps. So here we go again, time to work hard and work miracles.

• The topic was unpinned
13 hours ago, roversgirl said:

Karma for Kenedy. I hope the FA take retrospective action as it was really poor behaviour by Kenedy.

The challenges in general today from both teams were pretty poor - Hayden and Arter also - as was the game with very little quality on show.

Arter was very lucky yesterday. When I saw the challenge, I thought he was off. Got very lucky with the yellow and needs to keep a cool head, especially as he could be vital for us this season.

Kenedy at his worst yesterday... 

Just as well he missed the spot kick as he shouldn't have been on the pitch at all... It would have been a bit of injustice had he scored.. 

Why Kenedy for the spot kick though?? Strange decision that one.. 

3 game ban due up for him... 

1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Kenedy at his worst yesterday... 

Just as well he missed the spot kick as he shouldn't have been on the pitch at all... It would have been a bit of injustice had he scored.. 

Why Kenedy for the spot kick though?? Strange decision that one.. 

3 game ban due up for him... 

Gayle and Ritchie were first 2 choices last year. Gayle gone with no replacement playing and Ritchie had been subbed off.

I said in the pub when Kenedy stepped up that he will likely miss because he's had a bad game. Too often that seems to be the case as to not be just a coincidence. 

The ban might actually do him some good. Come back more focused and determined. 

Unfortunately for us it means 4 games with Atsu or Murphy. Kenedy and Murphy are attacking driving forces that make the team at least go forward. They want the ball and they want to attack. Murphy is timid and Atsu has been well out of form.

Ideally Rondon and Muto can come in through the middle and give us something else there to compensate for the loss of Kenedy. I don't know why Rondon didn't come on. Especially with 10 men, although in hindsight we somehow became the better team when we were down to 10 xD 

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

Gayle and Ritchie were first 2 choices last year. Gayle gone with no replacement playing and Ritchie had been subbed off.

I said in the pub when Kenedy stepped up that he will likely miss because he's had a bad game. Too often that seems to be the case as to not be just a coincidence. 

The ban might actually do him some good. Come back more focused and determined. 

Unfortunately for us it means 4 games with Atsu or Murphy. Kenedy and Murphy are attacking driving forces that make the team at least go forward. They want the ball and they want to attack. Murphy is timid and Atsu has been well out of form.

Ideally Rondon and Muto can come in through the middle and give us something else there to compensate for the loss of Kenedy. I don't know why Rondon didn't come on. Especially with 10 men, although in hindsight we somehow became the better team when we were down to 10 xD 

I thought Shelvey played quite well for you lot yesterday.. some of his passes were excellent, shame you couldn't carve anything out from them.. 

37 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

I thought Shelvey played quite well for you lot yesterday.. some of his passes were excellent, shame you couldn't carve anything out from them.. 

That's where Perez becomes the decider away from home to teams like this. He had 2 chances that 2nd half of last season he would have tucked at least one away. He didn't do much outside of that.

It's also harder to generate good chances with Joselu upfront and not Gayle. Gayle makes runs and doesn't lose the ball.

It's going to be a long season. Manquillo is tragic, as is Hayden even in his best position let alone at right back. It was clear Diames good form wasn't going to last forever. And has their ever been a worse strike partnership than Perez and Joselu kicking off the season?

Archived