talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 18th August - Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal

football forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone coaching U9's can show this game as a prime example of two teams not defending right. Awful from both and the amount of ball watching from the cut backs was extraordinary. How can professional footballers be so clueless in what to do when they are defending a cross? 

This can only be down to learning their roles in the new system. I can't speak for Arsenal, but the likes of Jorginho, Kante, Barkley, Rudiger, and Luiz, were so guilty of watching the ball being played down the side and crossed in. You learn as a 9 year old, that you need to watch your man, not the ball in scenarios like that. So much lack of concentration. You'd think they would have learned after the first goal, but no. The entirety of the 1st half was the same. Embarrassing. Needs to be sorted out ASAP. 

Alonso got the goal, but he and Luiz are a pairing destined for failure. So much space they leave open, and are always chasing shadows when defending. I love Luiz, but he should only be a rotation option. Alonso is great in the opponents box, such a liability everywhere else. Put Christensen and Emerson in. 

On the positives, thought we moved the ball great. We look very comfortable under pressure which is a first. Hazard changed the game immediately and the link up play between him and Kovacic was wonderful. Still a lot of work to do but the errors that were made were nothing that can't be fixed. 

Can't stress how important these 3 points are on a confidence level. Especially for Morata. 

Both teams are going through big transitions. Arsenal have a new manager for the first time in decades, Chelsea have a new manager trying to entirely change the way they play. I’m not surprised both sides are full of mistakes. Arsenal I think were second best, but I think that’s to be expected right now - on paper Chelsea have the better side. Even so, Arsenal created a lot of top quality chances and could have won had they put their first half chances away. That’s got to be encouraging if you’re an Arsenal fan. Chelsea looked good, although dodgy at the back.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Like the moment where you lose two in a row is important or affects the points you get or lose. 

pretty sure losing does affect the points you get.

Just now, Stan said:

pretty sure losing does affect the points you get.

Indeed... Losing two in a row in the first two games of the season or somewhere in the middle always affects 6 points. Although with the Americanisation of the sport I may be unware of new rules. :eek:

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Marcos Alonso is THE best goal scoring defender in the world, but he still an average to okay player. His off the ball movement in the box is ridiculous, better than a lot of forwards.

Sergio Ramos?

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

He takes penalties and doesn’t take FKs.

so? Not like he doesn't score plenty of headers of goals from set-pieces...

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Alonso scores from open play m8. Don’t see Ramos scoring blooters 

why does that matter? Goals are goals. Willing to forgo the penalties but Ramos has scored nearly 60 goals that aren't from the spot.

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

why does that matter? Goals are goals. Willing to forgo the penalties but Ramos has scored nearly 60 goals that aren't from the spot.

Yeah and Pele scored a thousand in the past as well ! I’m just counting since when Alonso joined Chelsea.

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Spike said:

Alonso has one less in 13 less games in the last two seasons.

Alonso since summer 2016:
Games - 84
Goals - 15

Ramos since summer 2016
Games - 86
Games - 17

Now, if you said at the start that Alonso's goals are of better quality, I'd be inclined to agree and we wouldn't be having this conversation xD

I'd say the second half our full backs were a lot more disciplined. No doubt at half Sarri was instructing Dave and Alonso to be more tight on the wide player to prevent the cross in. 

The ball watching shite needs to get sorted though. When Kante starts to ignore his runner, that's when you know somethings' wrong. 

In the first half we were perfect in the opening 20 minutes, after we scored Arsenal missed a sitter from a yard out. We then instantly scored the second and we looked in control before Arsenal missed another clear chance. I knew then this half is going to be tricky, we then conceded and never looked stable or in control. Arsenal had all the time in the box with our back four letting them take shots in the box with ease. After Iwobi scored Arsenal was close to even getting the third but half time saved us. In the second we were good overall, the defense did better and with Kovačić and Eden coming on we looked far better with Cech pulling some excellent saves before Alonso got the winner. I knew this would be hard as every time we are favorites we struggle. Mateo had a very good debut with completing every pass he tried. Obviously we will need more time to gel but overall i can only be pleased as you can see that from an attacking point we will be excellent, even the midfield did well but at the back we were sunday league at best. Don't think that Luzi and Rudiger work well, perhaps Christensen could jump in, while Azpilicueta needs time to adapt to right back again. Alonso was decent today even in defense, while my man of the match was Pedro after an excellent performance all over the pitch. Six points out of two games hura.

3 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Two awful fixtues to begin with, but still need to be doing better. Such an annoying winner to concede, but we just weren't in it second half. Defence needs to take a long hard look at itself absolutely garbage today barring Cech.

Agreed on both defenses, but Cech was quality. In the second he had some top notch saves before he could do very little for Alonso's goal.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

In the first half we were perfect in the opening 20 minutes, after we scored Arsenal missed a sitter from a yard out. We then instantly scored the second and we looked in control before Arsenal missed another clear chance. I knew then this half is going to be tricky, we then conceded and never looked stable or in control. Arsenal had all the time in the box with our back four letting them take shots in the box with ease. After Iwobi scored Arsenal was close to even getting the third but half time saved us. In the second we were good overall, the defense did better and with Kovačić and Eden coming on we looked far better with Cech pulling some excellent saves before Alonso got the winner. I knew this would be hard as every time we are favorites we struggle. Mateo had a very good debut with completing every pass he tried. Obviously we will need more time to gel but overall i can only be pleased as you can see that from an attacking point we will be excellent, even the midfield did well but at the back we were sunday league at best. Don't think that Luzi and Rudiger work well, perhaps Christensen could jump in, while Azpilicueta needs time to adapt to right back again. Alonso was decent today even in defense, while my man of the match was Pedro after an excellent performance all over the pitch. Six points out of two games hura.

How bloody awful was Willian though? Looked like he wasn't even arsed and was 100% at fault for the first goal. 65 million we turned down to inevitably have this waste man rot on our bench when the likes of Odoi show much more fight and hunger. 

3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

How bloody awful was Willian though? Looked like he wasn't even arsed and was 100% at fault for the first goal. 65 million we turned down to inevitably have this waste man rot on our bench when the likes of Odoi show much more fight and hunger. 

He was poor good sub taking him off, he had some decent runs but massive mistake for the first goal. I am still thinking how can we be that good in 25 minutes and that shit in the last two. However in the second much much better.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived