Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace
Liverpool 2-0 Crystal Palace
Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace 2-4 Liverpool

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the myth of us being Liverpool's bogey team under has been dispelled under Jurgen, but there is an argument he's played us at fortunate times. 

2015/16 - We were winning and arguably deserved something. Unfortunately Pardew advised us to sit back, Benteke committed a dive that was borderline disgraceful, and Pardew picked Alex McCarthy in goal who is somebody I wouldn't trust with a crayon. His howler was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

2016/17 - Liverpool came here full of confidence at a time which was just before Jurgen's frailties were exposed. We were near the end of Pardew's reign at Selhurst Park when we were destined to lose every week.

2017/18 - Very fortunate to win this game but they showed a lot of character to pick out a result.

So with that in mind, this is the first time Jurgen's coming to Selhurst with us in the same mindset and confidence as were the two times when Brendan came here. It sets up an interesting contest.

At the sane time, the fact that only Liverpool have conceded less than us in the last ten games means this could fade in to a nothing game.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Well the myth of us being Liverpool's bogey team under has been dispelled under Jurgen, but there is an argument he's played us at fortunate times. 

2015/16 - We were winning and arguably deserved something. Unfortunately Pardew advised us to sit back, Benteke committed a dive that was borderline disgraceful, and Pardew picked Alex McCarthy in goal who is somebody I wouldn't trust with a crayon. His howler was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

2016/17 - Liverpool came here full of confidence at a time which was just before Jurgen's frailties were exposed. We were near the end of Pardew's reign at Selhurst Park when we were destined to lose every week.

2017/18 - Very fortunate to win this game but they showed a lot of character to pick out a result.

So with that in mind, this is the first time Jurgen's coming to Selhurst with us in the same mindset and confidence as were the two times when Brendan came here. It sets up an interesting contest.

At the sane time, the fact that only Liverpool have conceded less than us in the last ten games means this could fade in to a nothing game.

Dwight Gayle v. Liverpool = goals, weirdly. You might have been our bogey man, but I'm fairly certain that man is made out of some sort of anti-LFC kryptonite material. I think he was still there in 15/16 - but once he left I was much happier with the prospect of facing Crystal Palace.

I'm annoyed this match is on at Monday and that I'll be at work watching it, unless some dickhead comes into my office and asks me questions like "can you help me with this?" and "why are you watching this instead of working?" If we play like we did against West Ham, I'm fairly confident. But I'm also confident that Hodgson won't have Palace set up anywhere near as open as West Ham was.

• Subscriber

I don't think we're going to lose this one looking at how hungry our attack and midfield was in the first game. But I don't think Palace will be any kind of pushover and we saw it in the first game that there are momentary lapses in defense which I suspect will go on for a bit till the team settles. The real question is whether Palace can capitalize on them and more importantly how much pressure we exert on them in their own half of the pitch. They may not be the bogey team they used to be for us but this is the Prem and everyone knows this is the kind of game the eases pressure off come the end of the season if the points are grabbed now. 

I'd like to see Robbie run the show a bit more like last season because if he starts clicking with Naby we can start doing some serious damage to teams.

I think Palace are a much better side than West Ham, so while we were excellent against West Ham... I don't think Palace will defend with as high of a line or be as unorganised as West Ham were. And their left side, with Zaha and van Aanholt I think can pose a big threat if they combine well going against what is probably the weakest spot in our side at the moment, the right side of our defense. With relative inexperience with Gomez as the right sided CB and TAA (likely) at RB - granted, it's not like these are bad defenders and TAA especially has performed against some very good opposition. But if you had to pinpoint a weakness in the side, I think that right side of defense is the weakest link.

I think controlling Zaha is the key to us winning - he's so important to Palace. I think the addition of Keita in our midfield will give them a little something extra to think about compared to last year - he's got lots of energy and his weight of passing and dribbling ability make him a formidable presence in midfield. We get someone driving on forward from midfield, which I was worried the squad was lacking after Ox's injury. If Palace defend deep like I expect them to, our midfield pushing forward is going to be key too getting 3 points.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Sky Bet are giving odds of 7/1 for a Palace win. 

Got to be worth a punt at that price?

BTTS and Liverpool win I reckon.

On 16/08/2018 at 10:36, The Palace Fan said:

xD

Surprised Hendo isn't starting, I guess he's not 100% fit. But I figured his height would be important with Benteke on the pitch in that #6 role. Having said that, Gini played great in the role last week - so why change something that worked so well?

The difference with Liverpool in terms of their confidence playing out the back is really noticeable. 

It might gift an occasional chance but it also means more of their own chances like that when defending teams are caught high up the pitch.

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Firmino and Salah still look a little off the pace to me?

it's very narrow at times and Palace getting players around those 2 very quickly. As soon as Salah comes inside he's taking up Firmino's space, because he doesn't move out the way. The quick passing is all well and good when it comes off but it's made even more difficult when 4 or 5 Palace players all crowd around. You're not quite Barcelona just yet ;) 

• The title was changed to Monday 20th August - Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived