talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Transfer Deadline Could Move Back to August 31st

Premier League clubs could abandon the new-look transfer window after just one summer.

Mirror Sport is aware of at least two clubs who voted for the change that now believe it is a mistake and they should go back to the August 31 deadline.

Several leading agents also believe that it has put English football at a major disadvantage compared to other major leagues as Spain, France and German teams can still buy players from Premier League clubs.

Premier League chiefs will discuss the window at their next meeting next month but it would take a club to propose a change back to the old system.

It would then require 14 clubs to vote in favour of going back to the old system.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/deadline-day-premier-league-change-13082383

I'd be in favour of moving it back, personally. I was against moving the deadline to start with as I think it's better for the league as a competition if teams are able to make late emergency additions if they need to. Whether you agree with that or not, it was especially stupid to make the change in a World Cup year, and to do it out of sync with the rest of Europe. Not only did the World Cup effectively make the transfer window even shorter, players returning late meant there was really no point at which managers could assess their whole squad and still have time to make alterations. The fact European teams are still allowed to make signings leaves English teams vulnerable to having their players poached without the possibility of replacing them, and means the league could miss out on some quality players who might be on the move around the continent.

Interested to hear others' thoughts on the new rules and their effects.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I think moving it in the first place was ridiculous anyway. What’s the point when European clubs can still buy your players and as a Premier League club you can’t remedy the problem. 

Yeah - this. It was stupid and didn't really do anything except let the clubs in the league not sign players while clubs in Europe can.

2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/deadline-day-premier-league-change-13082383

I'd be in favour of moving it back, personally. I was against moving the deadline to start with as I think it's better for the league as a competition if teams are able to make late emergency additions if they need to. Whether you agree with that or not, it was especially stupid to make the change in a World Cup year, and to do it out of sync with the rest of Europe. Not only did the World Cup effectively make the transfer window even shorter, players returning late meant there was really no point at which managers could assess their whole squad and still have time to make alterations. The fact European teams are still allowed to make signings leaves English teams vulnerable to having their players poached, and means the league could miss out on some quality players who might be on the move around the continent.

Interested to hear others' thoughts on the new rules and their effects.

My heart bleeds for the poor defenceless Premier League clubs 💔 

Sur£ly th£r£ is som£ way th£y could r£tain th£ir play£rs, what with a nic£ n£w TV d£al to soft£n th£ blow?

Nonsense to move it in any case, but I for one was delighted to see the joke of Sky's deadline day bonanza curtailed somewhat.

4 minutes ago, StefBWFC said:

My heart bleeds for the poor defenceless Premier League clubs 💔 

Sur£ly th£r£ is som£ way th£y could r£tain th£ir play£rs, what with a nic£ n£w TV d£al to soft£n th£ blow?

Nonsense to move it in any case, but I for one was delighted to see the joke of Sky's deadline day bonanza curtailed somewhat.

I think it's been conclusively proven that Premier League clubs can't retain their players if the genuine cream of the European crop come calling, but that's not the main issue as it's no different from every other transfer window. The issue is that English clubs would be unable to replace those players if they do get poached now.

• Subscriber

I think the right thing to do is move it to before the season along with the rest of Europe.

What has it actually cost us this time though? Obviously European clubs can just come and buy our players but what if they don't? I think it worked fine personally provided nobody gets a Hazard or similar pinched without having a chance to replace.

Trust us though to try something that could be a good idea, half arse it, cry when there were one or two inconveniences because of the poor execution, shrug and dismiss the idea altogether and go "oh well we tried".

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I think the right thing to do is move it to before the season along with the rest of Europe.

What has it actually cost us this time though? Obviously European clubs can just come and buy our players but what if they don't? I think it worked fine personally provided nobody gets a Hazard or similar pinched without having a chance to replace.

Trust us though to try something that could be a good idea, half arse it, cry when there were one or two inconveniences because of the poor execution, shrug and dismiss the idea altogether and go "oh well we tried".

European leagues don't all start at the same time though, so would we synchronise those start dates or continue to have a few weeks where some clubs have an open transfer window and others don't? Italy, for example, have done the same as us with the window closing before the start of the season, but it's still open until tomorrow.

Ultimately we'll never know what it cost us. We'll have a concrete answer if someone like Pogba or Hazard move in the next few weeks, but that won't tell the whole story because there are other potential missed opportunities. Players like Nzoni, for example, who was linked with Arsenal but signed for Roma after our window closed. I don't know how serious the links were, and I don't know if the early deadline stopped Arsenal getting a player who would've improved their squad, but it certainly didn't help, and I'm sure there have been and will be other similar examples in the days between last Thursday and the 31st. There are all sorts of potential scenarios. What if a Premier League club needed to raise funds to get a signing done but weren't able to shift the deadwood until after our window closed because the buying club weren't in a hurry? They've now got a pile of money they can't use until January or (more likely) next Summer. I'd go on, but I'm sure you get the point.

A better question than 'what has it cost us?' would be 'how has it benefited us?'. I'm struggling to put my finger on anything.

Archived