talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Target Technical Director

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

A few years too late. The perfect guy, Monchi, was available after leaving Sevilla, but he chose AS Roma. 

I would add Giuseppe Marotta of Juventus and Andrea Berta of Athletico to Monchi.   One of those three will do.

17 hours ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Luis Campos. 

Possible.  Mourinho it is said brought him to Real Madrid from Monaco and they are supposed to get along.   Not sure if Woodward wants a confidante of Mourinho as DOF though.

Manchester United have identified the FA's technical director Dan Ashworth and RB Leipzig's head of recruitment Paul Mitchell as potential candidates for the role of technical director at Old Trafford, Sky Sports News understands.

Ashworth's reputation continues to grow after England's successful World Cup campaign followed on from age-group tournament wins for England at U17s and U20s World Cup, while the U19s won the European Championships.

The 47-year old former West Brom sporting director has recently been linked with similar roles at both Brighton and Chelsea, who are yet to replace Michael Emenalo since he left for Monaco last November.

• 1 month later...

Gary Neville was right when he said that the Fergie way of doing things is over and that the Director of Football route is the road we need to go down. Woodward might be good at conning old ladies out of their savings but when it comes to football he pays £90 for a dabber/instagram addict, pays £2m a month to someone named after Joan Collins' character in Dynasty and signed Fellaini - for Manchester United. Clearly he should stick to making money for the the Glazers erm I mean United and leave football to someone who knows what they are doing.

CUE PUNCHLINE...

We need a winner... not an equaliser

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What did you think of Moyes then  @Salford Kel Out of interest?

He was the man I wanted at the time but he was well out of his depth. I was critical of the Zaha signing by Fergie at the time but he had a really good pre-season and was farmed out on loan which was odd. Then it was the claim that drawing away at Swansea or whoever is a good result which made me cringe and reminded me of Hodgson at Liverpool. Then came the awful football and the signing of Fellaini.

However, I don't think he was given enough time and I don't think Van Gaal was any better. If Ferguson came to United today he'd never have been given time to succeed because football is so fickle and money oriented. He'd have lasted a couple of years at best. 

It's clear with Mourinho though that he has lost the dressing room and that things will never get better. He has to go in my opinion but so does Woodward and especially Pogba who needs to be made an example of. Players cannot undermine the manager (even Roy Keane who said nothing but the truth about his teammates - he was right but he undermined Fergie and you can't have that. Manager's word is final) and he has to go

10 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

He was the man I wanted at the time but he was well out of his depth. I was critical of the Zaha signing by Fergie at the time but he had a really good pre-season and was farmed out on loan which was odd. Then it was the claim that drawing away at Swansea or whoever is a good result which made me cringe and reminded me of Hodgson at Liverpool. Then came the awful football and the signing of Fellaini.

However, I don't think he was given enough time and I don't think Van Gaal was any better. If Ferguson came to United today he'd never have been given time to succeed because football is so fickle and money oriented. He'd have lasted a couple of years at best. 

It's clear with Mourinho though that he has lost the dressing room and that things will never get better. He has to go in my opinion but so does Woodward and especially Pogba who needs to be made an example of. Players cannot undermine the manager (even Roy Keane who said nothing but the truth about his teammates - he was right but he undermined Fergie and you can't have that. Manager's word is final) and he has to go

I think the thing was Moyes took over a team that had won the league and took them to 7th. I think that was why he was sacked because it had been such a deterioration.  Similar to Souness at Liverpool 

3 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I think the thing was Moyes took over a team that had won the league and took them to 7th. I think that was why he was sacked because it had been such a deterioration.  Similar to Souness at Liverpool 

The team had been in decline probably since Ronaldo left. The club remained so competitive because of Fergie's ridiculous will to win that rubbed off on the players. I think he found it difficult though to maintain those standards with the type of players that he brought in because the mentality just wasn't there. I think the difference between Souness and Moyes is that Souness rightly identified that many changes had to be made but he made the wrong signings. Moyes didn't really sign anyone but that's arguably down to the ineptitude of Woodward rather than Moyes. 

I just feel that since Fergie went the club has become nothing more than a Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea/Citeh, just throwing money at players and when that doesn't work throw more. When I say Chelsea and Citeh though, I mean when they were first taken over and, to be fair, they didn't really have much choice as they were playing catch up. I'd say both, Citeh in particular, are both operating in a better way than United on the football side which is the most important side. If you are successful on the pitch everything else will fall into place

2 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

The team had been in decline probably since Ronaldo left. The club remained so competitive because of Fergie's ridiculous will to win that rubbed off on the players. I think he found it difficult though to maintain those standards with the type of players that he brought in because the mentality just wasn't there. I think the difference between Souness and Moyes is that Souness rightly identified that many changes had to be made but he made the wrong signings. Moyes didn't really sign anyone but that's arguably down to the ineptitude of Woodward rather than Moyes. 

I just feel that since Fergie went the club has become nothing more than a Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea/Citeh, just throwing money at players and when that doesn't work throw more. When I say Chelsea and Citeh though, I mean when they were first taken over and, to be fair, they didn't really have much choice as they were playing catch up. I'd say both, Citeh in particular, are both operating in a better way than United on the football side which is the most important side. If you are successful on the pitch everything else will fall into place

Now you know what it feels like to support a normal club 😂

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Now you know what it feels like to support a normal club 😂

Yea, been spoiled from day one really. I think part of me actually has quite a perverse enjoyment of the situation as I always felt I'd be more suited to a club that genuinely has a reason to moan 

23 minutes ago, Salford Kel said:

Yea, been spoiled from day one really. I think part of me actually has quite a perverse enjoyment of the situation as I always felt I'd be more suited to a club that genuinely has a reason to moan 

Who would you like to be the next utd manager?

6 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Who would you like to be the next utd manager?

Personally I'd like Pochettino but I don't see why he'd leave Spurs for United at this time. I wouldn't if I was him.

One final thought on what is missing at United from former United Sports Psychologist Bill Beswick:

1 minute ago, Salford Kel said:

Personally I'd like Pochettino but I don't see why he'd leave Spurs for United at this time. I wouldn't if I was him.

One final thought on what is missing at United from former United Sports Psychologist Bill Beswick:

What about Zidane?

2 hours ago, Salford Kel said:

Gary Neville was right when he said that the Fergie way of doing things is over and that the Director of Football route is the road we need to go down. Woodward might be good at conning old ladies out of their savings but when it comes to football he pays £90 for a dabber/instagram addict, pays £2m a month to someone named after Joan Collins' character in Dynasty and signed Fellaini - for Manchester United. Clearly he should stick to making money for the the Glazers erm I mean United and leave football to someone who knows what they are doing.

CUE PUNCHLINE...

We need a winner... not an equaliser

Indeed it's why Arsenal have struggled for years, we relied solely on Wenger to do everything with a bit of help from Gazidis, but that way of working is dead now. It doesn't work anymore and I'm delighted we have finally moved with the times. United need to start implementing a new technical system now and look for a more current manager. For me United's issue is with who they have hired as manager is their prime as managers were a decade before they got to United. If United got the right system in place they will easily be one of the top forces in Europe.

Archived