talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Spike said:

But that is several hundred miles further. Why can't they come to my backyard and play a game for me? Goddammit, I deserve this. 

From what I understand it's going to be different cities every year with next year being either Los Angeles or San Diego and the following year New York... Etc...

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

It shocks me less that these are the two teams to take part in this when I think that Barcelona are a major conglomerate and Girona are under the wing of Manchester City. 

Well from what I understand, it was first offered to Real Betis to play in the US as the home team against Barcelona.  But Betis get some of the most partisan crowds with one of the best atmospheres in Spanish football at the Beníto Villamarín and they refused the offer.  Financially it was beneficial but there are three points at stake and this is where the LFP are gonna find it difficult every season.

Javier Tebas (LFP President) was interviewed on Spanish radio station, Ondacero with the program presenter José Ramón de la Morena... Amongst other things on the deal La Liga has made in the US he said that no club is forced to participate and can opt out of playing games in North America.  It's totally voluntary but that those clubs that do help to push this forward in its early years will obviously be the ones that will get the most out of the benefits this deal will be offering. La Liga has made it clear to any clubs participating that they have to reimburse their season ticket holders either the amount of that 'A Class' game or provide the free flights and tickets La Liga have provided for the allocated season ticket holders so those home fans missing out get to attend the game in the US.

CpBnz63XEAEJDqg.0.jpg

So the Hard Rock Stadium home to the Florida Marlins in Miami and with a capacity for 65,326 is the official chosen venue to house the first ever European league game in the United States of America.  The game already has an official date an time which will be on the 26th of January at 19:45 bst (20:45 cet).

I remember the day Barcelona got the UNICEF on their shirts and a lad said this is the start of a new Barcelona and the end of what they used to be about. The UNICEF trick was a clever ploy to get people used to something on there and what would follow would be a the biggest selling of a soul you'd see. How right he was, a truly repugnant, rapacious company they are nowadays, unmatched in their whoreish nature. 

19 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I remember the day Barcelona got the UNICEF on their shirts and a lad said this is the start of a new Barcelona and the end of what they used to be about. The UNICEF trick was a clever ploy to get people used to something on there and what would follow would be a the biggest selling of a soul you'd see. How right he was, a truly repugnant, rapacious company they are nowadays, unmatched in their whoreish nature. 

This is true and a well known fact that UNICEF was used to get the Barça traditional fans accustomed to seeing something on the shirt.

But under no circumstances are Barça more repugnant than any other football club seeing as every club had at one point a clean sponsorless shirt and kit. 

1 hour ago, The Artful Dodger said:

True but it felt like Barcelona's stance meant something more. I know I'm arguing against life really but to see Barcelona being the first club to play a game in America is quite poignant and symbolic of how much things have changed. 

I don’t deny you’re right and there are many true Barcelona fans that have been left disaffected by the evolution of the club in recent years as those were a few of the ideals that marked them apart from others in the modern game.

But recent figures that have been released for last year where they have ended the biggest profiting club in the continent have shown an staggering 78% of the money made by the club goes on wages. The only way for the club to maintain its competitiveness and also maintain its name amongst the elite is to unfortunately do things like these.   

• Subscriber

A question I have which probably hasn't been answered here is this, when these games are played in neutral venues how do ticket sales get sorted for the club that is forfeiting its home/away advantage? Does the split go down the middle? What happens to the financial compensation for the stadium hosting the event? 

I imagine if clubs like Girona get a better compensation for playing games away from the continent then they'd probably jump at the opportunity to do more of these, not necessarily a good thing.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

A question I have which probably hasn't been answered here is this, when these games are played in neutral venues how do ticket sales get sorted for the club that is forfeiting its home/away advantage? Does the split go down the middle? What happens to the financial compensation for the stadium hosting the event? 

I imagine if clubs like Girona get a better compensation for playing games away from the continent then they'd probably jump at the opportunity to do more of these, not necessarily a good thing.

I don't know, but I assume it's a bit more generous to the away side than normal to incentivise them to agree to it.

That may sound harsh on Girona, but their stadium has a capacity of 13,450 and they've never filled it. Miami's stadium is 5 times the size and almost guaranteed to sell out at higher ticket prices than Girona would normally charge. Even if the split is exactly 50:50 (with some going to LFP of course), Girona come out well ahead.

That's one thing I actually like about this. Revenue sharing in La Liga has never been good enough, so this will be a massive and rare boost to smaller clubs.

Yeah, the home side which in this case is Girona will get 10 times their gate receipts due to attendance takings and the much higher cost of those tickets being sold to North Americans as Girona’s ticket prices are one of the lowest in La Liga. Plus the incentive of the promoter paying for 5,000 Girona fans to travel with paid for tickets to the game. Then there’s the extra bonuses the clubs get for playing the game overthere and an invaluable asset which is getting the name Girona plastered all over the media and in commercials... Free marketing!

Barça will be using it to simply maintain all the extensive work they’ve been doing over past 6 years in the States. 

The RFEF are getting involved in the argument from the latest news to hit the grapevine. Even though they have very limited jurisdiction over La Liga in this case, they do own the federative registrations to the players as Spain’s all powerful FA. 

Rubiales has gone to town on an interview for English newspaper The Guardian with all sorts of accusations. But maybe he should’ve thought about the Supercopa de España played in Morocco a month ago which is a competition organised soley by the RFEF as is the Copa del Rey. I smell hypocrisy.  

• Subscriber
On 17/08/2018 at 10:32, Danny said:

American sports are franchise like by nature, playing abroad is just an extension of that nature. That nature goes against the very fabric of association football, yes there has been piss taking with pre-season friendlies (the two pre-season cup friendliest you mention as well), but I believe there was uproar in Spain over the Morocco choice too.

This is spot on. I don't want a reciprocal deal here just because America are happy to send their sports out here. Football is nothing like American sport and it never will be, and if it does go up that route at the top level, I'll likely find myself looking around the lower reaches so I can watch actual football and not this complete nonsense.

I can't get on board with American sport because the entire concept is different to what I like in a sport. The culture is different. By all means Americans should enjoy their sport if that's what they like, but I don't want their franchise models coming into ours and I think I speak for a lot there.

47 minutes ago, Dan said:

This is spot on. I don't want a reciprocal deal here just because America are happy to send their sports out here. Football is nothing like American sport and it never will be, and if it does go up that route at the top level, I'll likely find myself looking around the lower reaches so I can watch actual football and not this complete nonsense.

I can't get on board with American sport because the entire concept is different to what I like in a sport. The culture is different. By all means Americans should enjoy their sport if that's what they like, but I don't want their franchise models coming into ours and I think I speak for a lot there.

But clubs are becoming franchises though, and no better example than Manchester City. This is the route being undertaken by some clubs at least for the now. 

I think this would be the last straw for me if Norwich got promoted to the Prem and we had a game moved to USA/China etc. 

Yup Messi and other Barca players can stand up and be heroes.

They haven't picked a Real Madrid game because they know Ramos would rally the troops and make a stand.

41 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think this would be the last straw for me if Norwich got promoted to the Prem and we had a game moved to USA/China etc. 

Yup Messi and other Barca players can stand up and be heroes.

They haven't picked a Real Madrid game because they know Ramos would rally the troops and make a stand.

Yeah, until some money was waved in front of him.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Yeah, until some money was waved in front of him.

I was about to say that... But in a different way.

When Messi, Ramos and co go crying to their respective presidents that they want their annual ridiculous pay increases, the presidents can tell them why they aren’t getting them.  Where do these players think the money comes from to pay these mental wages?

Such innocence.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, SirBalon said:

But clubs are becoming franchises though, and no better example than Manchester City. This is the route being undertaken by some clubs at least for the now. 

I'm not unaware of it, I'm just saying I quite simply will never ever accept it, but what do I matter? I'm just one of many who cares for the game, who are ultimately going to lose out eventually simply because we're the minority now.

Artful Dodger said some controversial things in this thread but "the plastics have won" is basically the truth. I've moaned about plenty of things about the way things have gone over the years in football but nothing's tipped me that final bit over the edge - but once Premier League games are being played abroad then that's me out, I simply cannot get on board with that anymore, it's futile, it's an abandonment of the round robin format that has been the backbone for English football for over 100 years. It isn't football.

I think when it comes to England (or leaves it, should I say), and I take absolutely no pleasure saying "when" rather than "if", I think I'll do a mixture of non-league football and football on the continent, probably at bizarre leagues, going to grounds I never thought I'd go - at least it's football as I know it. I've no doubt my own club would be in favour of this, for all the good they've done these owners didn't come here to treat our fans, if there's money in it for them they will be in support of it, and I can't get behind that.

I'm not ignorant to what's going on, I'm massively cynical by nature but it doesn't mean I accept things. This crosses the line for me. It's an absolute disgrace.

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived