talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

Just now, SirBalon said:

Nudge got it right... Answering @Eco it's not about the actual money hit. Infact it would cost money to take a game to the US and the profits would be minimal and negligent. It's about media exposure and the market... The US market is the biggest in the world and you guys have a massive population of Hispanics that see Spanish football as the temple of the sport with Real and Barça. 

I work in the marketing world and it's no eureka moment that this would be a massive hit because Hispanics rule the US Soccer world and their attention alone will push other Americans to buy into the idea. It's actually good for US Socce too because it's obvious which game they'd choose and if it wasn't that one there are two or three other ones that would bring in the media attention the raw MLS has never been able to attract.

It's the next step after what the Premier League started in a different way back in 1992.

Yeah - I may be underestimating it. 

Again, I didn't read the thread, but if the El Classico is going to be played here, they need to bring it to Atlanta. Best soccer/football city in America, ESPECIALLY for Spanish speaking teams. 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Asura said:

I hope the spanish fans in spain protests this move in some way or the other and let their voice heard.

lets hope @SirBalon does a total nude streaking infront of the laliga main office in madrid and get this move reversed. Full power to you Balon :twothumbsup:

Spanish fans will protest but because this is La Liga (LFP) doing it, they have no say in the matter unfortunately.

Just to let it be known, I hate this idea!  Why was anything ever needed!

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's the world's biggest media market xD of course they get a lot of media attention. They're also a superpower, which is why they get a lot of political attention from every country. You'd think a journalist would know that...

He must be too busy owning a team and being a chairman while recovering from his fatal car accident. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

It's the world's biggest media market xD of course they get a lot of media attention. They're also a superpower, which is why they get a lot of political attention from every country. You'd think a journalist would know that...

I never said I was a politics journalist xD

Point is, I came in this thread asking myself "why always the USA". I'm sure China, and the Gulf States could do this as well. 

How do MLS team feel about all these European teams coming across every summer? 

Seems it could go two ways. They increase the mainstream attention for soccer, but also might also take away from the clubs playing through their season.

Just now, Eco said:

Yeah - I may be underestimating it. 

Again, I didn't read the thread, but if the El Classico is going to be played here, they need to bring it to Atlanta. Best soccer/football city in America, ESPECIALLY for Spanish speaking teams. 

Think you might need to fight Miami or LA for it. If El Classico was played in LA, I know shitloads of people who'd try to go up from San Diego - which means that tickets would probably sell out immediately because there's a lot more fucking people in LA.

I think I know what @Blue is getting at. For decades Spanish football has been the other football product aside from each South American respective league they've digested and going to any Latin American nation with one of Spain's biggest games would've been marvellous in a romantic world. If ever anything like this HAD TO BE DONE I only wish I'd had been done there.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I never said I was a politics journalist xD

Point is, I came in this thread asking myself "why always the USA". I'm sure China, and the Gulf States could do this as well. 

I don't think any of us are politics journalists but we can still understand why the world's largest media market might get so much attention from Western media...

1 minute ago, ScoRoss said:

How do MLS team feel about all these European teams coming across every summer? 

Seems it could go two ways. They increase the mainstream attention for soccer, but also might also take away from the clubs playing through their season.

I'm fine with it. I mean the MLS already plays a 'major' Euro team for the all-star game, and watching the game there were some Juve jerseys in the crowd, but whatever. I think it's good for the sport and if you are a fan of one of the teams visiting, then good for the fans that live here who finally get to see their team. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Think you might need to fight Miami or LA for it. If El Classico was played in LA, I know shitloads of people who'd try to go up from San Diego - which means that tickets would probably sell out immediately because there's a lot more fucking people in LA.

Yeah, it really needs to be in only a few cities. Houston, LA, Miami, Atlanta..

Just now, Eco said:

I'm fine with it. I mean the MLS already plays a 'major' Euro team for the all-star game, and watching the game there were some Juve jerseys in the crowd, but whatever. I think it's good for the sport and if you are a fan of one of the teams visiting, then good for the fans that live here who finally get to see their team. 

Yeah, it really needs to be in only a few cities. Houston, LA, Miami, Atlanta..

Didnt some college in detroit host real vs utd a couple of years ago and around 100,000 people filled in the stadium? And that was a mere friendly 

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I think I know what @Blue is getting at. For decades Spanish football has been the other football product aside from each South American respective league they've digested and going to any Latin American nation with one of Spain's biggest games would've been marvellous in a romantic world. If ever anything like this HAD TO BE DONE I only wish I'd had been done there.

If they had based this decision on passion alone, it would have easily gone to South America. However, there are other factors at play..one being the potential for money, which isn't a strong suit of South America at the present moment. 

Just now, Asura said:

Didnt some college in detroit host real vs utd a couple of years ago and around 100,000 people filled in the stadium? And that was a mere friendly 

Not sure, but sounds about accurate. We (Americans), love our sports, which is why we have so many that draw massive support. Filling a 100k stadium is normal for a lot of teams. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

Not sure, but sounds about accurate. We (Americans), love our sports, which is why we have so many that draw massive support. Filling a 100k stadium is normal for a lot of teams. 

109k in michigan stadium in 2014

Manchester United beat Real Madrid in front of record American football crowd

1 minute ago, Eco said:

If they had based this decision on passion alone, it would have easily gone to South America. However, there is one factor at play..one being the potential for money, which isn't a strong suit of South America at the present moment. 

I think that's probably more accurate...

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

109k in michigan stadium in 2014

Manchester United beat Real Madrid in front of record American football crowd

Nice - Like I said, filling up a 100k stadium isn't a big deal here. Seems crazy when you think about it, but my University fills there stadium up every weekend and it hold around 105k. 

full

Just now, Eco said:

Nice - Like I said, filling up a 100k stadium isn't a big deal here. Seems crazy when you think about it, but my University fills there stadium up every weekend and it hold around 105k. 

their*  :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

It also hosted Liverpool Vs Man United this summer (?), With it sold out again.

(Nit picking but it's not in Detroit, but within the same state).

Just now, ScoRoss said:

It also hosted Liverpool Vs Man United this summer (?), With it sold out again.

(Nit picking but it's not in Detroit, but within the same state).

Not sure about this one... I only read the madrid vs united one so I remember that on top of my head... maybe you are right

Just now, Asura said:

Not sure about this one... I only read the madrid vs united one so I remember that on top of my head... maybe you are right

U of Michigan is in Ann Arbor, not Detroit. Very different cities, although they are in the same state. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

U of Michigan is in Ann Arbor, not Detroit. Very different cities, although they are in the same state. 

Yeah i know about that but I couldnt recollect which university/city was that before I posted that picture. Since Detroit is the largest city in Michigan, automatically Detroit's name popped in my head but I was sure its somewhere in Michigan... 

26 minutes ago, Eco said:

full

GO D A W G S

Yeah, but that is an oddity. The Bulldogs have retarded levels of support in Georgia, more than the Falcons.

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

GO D A W G S

Yeah, but that is an oddity. The Bulldogs have retarded levels of support in Georgia, more than the Falcons.

Yep - odd in the South how College Football (American) teams are much more popular than Professional football (NFL)

America is the CONSUMERISM capital of the world, you spastics. Of course it's going to end up here. It doesn't matter if the stadium had the atmosphere of a wet fart because it'd still sell 120,000 tickets, and every Tom, Dick, and Harry would buy a scarf, jersey, hat, $10 beer, and hotdog. No other country is like this outside of China. Why on Earth would La Liga care about South and Central America? Real Madrid and Barcelona are already household names there, and every other person is poor, why would La Liga eat an egg shell when it can eat another egg?

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived