talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

Just now, Spike said:

American is the CONSUMERISM capital of the world, you spastics. Of course it's going to end up here. It doesn't matter if they stadium had the atmosphere of a wet fart because it'd still sell 120,000 tickets, and every Tom, Dick, and Harry would buy a scarf, jersey, hat, $10 beer, and hotdog. No other country is like this outside of China. Why on Earth would La Liga care about South and Central America? Real Madrid and Barcelona are already household names there, and every other person is poor, why would La Liga eat an egg shell when it can eat another egg?

but...but...but... @Blue doesn't like us because of all the attention...

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ScoRoss said:

Rugby Football, American Football, Gaelic Football, Aussie Rules Football...

It's just a name.

i know mate.     that's why i said that i'll act like a cunt for a sec.  no need to take what i said seriously.

but on a serious note though, the whole point of this move is to promote football in the US, but why do they need to include a La LIga game to be played in their grounds ???

we now have the internet, why the need to see an actual game of football when the US has the MLS.

is this move really for the sake of football to grow in the american hearts or just a money-influenced move ???

Just now, Eco said:

but...but...but... @Blue doesn't like us because of all the attention...

Let's do a check off about the USA

• Lingua Franca? Check.
  • Gigantic population? Check.
  • Cultural focus on consuming and spending money? Check.
  • The largest and most powerful media institutions in the world that export culture and entertainment? Check.
  • Significant Latin population? Check.
  • Fuck huge stadiums? Check.

I wonder why America is such a focus?

9 minutes ago, Eco said:

Yep - odd in the South how College Football (American) teams are much more popular than Professional football (NFL)

It also helps that people tend to prefer the grass roots sports down South, as well shying away from the media circus of the NFL. High School games are even televised ffs. I was at a bar in Snelville and they had the local high school on the bloody telly

Just now, Spike said:

It also helps that people tend to prefer the grass roots sports down South, as well shying away from the media circus of the NFL. High School games are even televised ffs. I was at a bar in Snelville and they had the local high school on the bloody telly

The High School I went to (Parkview in Lilburn, GA) was #2 in the nation my Junior year (I'm not sure how you nationally rank HS football teams), and we were on ESPN one Friday night. It also helped that we had one of the hottest baseball prospects on our football team in Jeff Francouer. 

1 hour ago, SirBalon said:

I'd like to know @Cicero's view on this.

Inevitable. The way football is going. This however makes more sense than Asian countries competing in the Copa America. 

Going to be a proper piss take if it's the El Classico.  Sadly, that is the one I see happening for revenue purposes. No way will they host a Leganes vs Eibar game. 

• Subscriber

The modern day football club operates on the premise that its fan base exists outside the imaginary line that is the city of origin for said club. Anyone that thinks otherwise is wearing horse blinders. What is very intriguing to me here is how the money works when it comes to La Liga selling rights to its own network providers in Spain for TV rights to broadcast these games elsewhere. Surely they'd have to piggyback on a US network carrier and that in itself incurs a cost which would then mean what? That the providers in Europe now have to pay more to gain rights to show the matches via a partner elsewhere? Surely someone in that gang of snakes is thinking I need to make more money here.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I think the smartest game to the play is the Copa Del Rey final as it's usually played on a neutral ground anyway.

Isn't that right around the second leg of the CL semi-finals? Be pretty strenuous for a team, if and only if they are in both, to do that kind of travel? I do agree though that games with neutral venues should be the primary target for this kind of event.

Just now, Spike said:

I think the smartest game to the play is the Copa Del Rey final as it's usually played on a neutral ground anyway.

I was thinking that same thing and considering the issues that arise in Spain over where it will be played every year, that would actually be a smart move considering that the Spanish fans that tend to go to the final are middle to upper middle class.

But it's the LFP who have come to this agreement and not the RFEF. The LFP own La Liga while the RFEF run the Copa del Rey.

• Subscriber

Another sad day for football, another bit of progression towards a sport completely deprived of its soul.

Disgusting. This is a big step in the complete wrong direction.

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's gone, the plastics have won. Football has been dying a long drawn out death for some time and now football is for Cicero, 666 and the ilk. It's finished.

Did you not say that man united and liverpool are the country's biggest clubs in a match thread because of the attendance their match got in the US?

Just now, Asura said:

Did you not say that man united and liverpool are the country's biggest clubs in a match thread because of the attendance their match got in the US?

They're the biggest clubs in the country for a litany of reasons but mainly because of their home support, their appeal to thick Americans is just another example of this but it's not something I condone. 

Anyway, I've accepted defeat. Football clubs have been destroyed by non-local fans, stream watching wankers with no affinity for the city or place the club represents.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

They're the biggest clubs in the country for a litany of reasons but mainly because of their home support, their appeal to thick Americans is just another example of this but it's not something I condone. 

Anyway, I've accepted defeat. Football clubs have been destroyed by non-local fans, stream watching wankers with no affinity for the city or place the club represents.

Ofcourse they are probably the biggest clubs of England because of their trophies and the home support and I do agree with that. I was only mentioning your old post because I do remember you said that in a thread where those two clubs played in the US which should probably have been irrelevant to you since they are all plastics and not associated to either of those clubs anyway.

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

Ofcourse they are probably the biggest clubs of England because of their trophies and the home support and I do agree with that. I was only mentioning your old post because I do remember you said that in a thread where those two clubs played in the US which should probably have been irrelevant to you since they are all plastics and not associated to either of those clubs anyway.

I was saying that more to wind up the fans of tinpot clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc who don't have anything like the appeal those two have. 

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I was saying that more to wind up the fans of tinpot clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc who don't have anything like the appeal those two have. 

again... that "appeal" should have been useless to you since they are non local fans...  :what:

I'm gonna cry melancholy and say that I genuinely remember (because that's when I started going to games) the primitive entrance into Highbury and the turnstiles where you left your £3 (as a Junior Gunner) to watch the game.  I've mentioned it before but I remember the peanut man too!

But that all ended the day the FA took control of England's top division and created the Premier League... That was the start of the global game where everyone followed suit and all we're seeing now is the follow up on all of that with the evolution of the sport as a global entity with the local identity being a part of history. It ain't coming back!

20 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It's gone, the plastics have won. Football has been dying a long drawn out death for some time and now football is for Cicero, 666 and the ilk. It's finished.

What the fuck? xD I know you're an over dramatic melt but there's no need to pretend others were feuding against you over this and that this was some great war between you and other posters. I'm not even in favour of this you fucking moron.

But seeing as football belongs to me now, you can fuck off. :coffee:

22 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

If you are going to call out people, you might want to tag them so they might actually see it. @Cicero @6666 

9 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You truly are miserable aren't you? If you have something nice, exciting, and fun, you don't want others to enjoy it? Grow up and realize that as technology advances, more and more exposure is going to happen for all things that each country hold dear. 

In England, it's a sport...a sport that has never been popular in America, at least no where near a level like it is in England. I feel in love with the sport BECAUSE of my visits to England and experiencing the beauty of the game and the fans. 

Football hasn't been destroyed, but it is changing. I get it you don't like it, nor condone the fact that people like me pay $150 a year to watch Pompey matches, but luckily you live in a free country that if it bothers you so very much, you might as well aim your passion towards snooker, or darts. 

5 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

I'm gonna cry melancholy and say that I genuinely remember (because that's when I started going to games) the primitive entrance into Highbury and the turnstiles where you left your £3 (as a Junior Gunner) to watch the game.  I've mentioned it before but I remember the peanut man too!

But that all ended the day the FA took control of England's top division and created the Premier League... That was the start of the global game where everyone followed suit and all we're seeing now is the follow up on all of that with the evolution of the sport as a global entity with the local identity being a part of history. It ain't coming back!

mate what were the changes back in 1992? I thought they only changed the name of the league form division one or whatever to premier league but kept the format and any other rules the same..... what else changed? 

Who's betting against a European Super League now then?

This is where it's all heading and dissociating local fans from their club is the predecessor to having a European Inter League with the biggest clubs maybe one day leaving their national championship.

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

If you are going to call out people, you might want to tag them so they might actually see it. @Cicero @6666 

You truly are miserable aren't you? If you have something nice, exciting, and fun, you don't want others to enjoy it? Grow up and realize that as technology advances, more and more exposure is going to happen for all things that each country hold dear. 

In England, it's a sport...a sport that has never been popular in America, at least no where near a level like it is in England. I feel in love with the sport BECAUSE of my visits to England and experiencing the beauty of the game and the fans. 

Football hasn't been destroyed, but it is changing. I get it you don't like it, nor condone the fact that people like me pay $150 a year to watch Pompey matches, but luckily you live in a free country that if it bothers you so very much, you might as well aim your passion towards snooker, or darts. 

I certainly do not want Americans enjoying it, you spoil everything. Leave the only good sport alone and stick to the shite you enjoy. 

I am being unreasonable but it is extremely sad watching this happen to a great game. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

I certainly do not want Americans enjoying it, you spoil everything. Leave the only good sport alone and stick to the shite you enjoy. 

I am being unreasonable but it is extremely sad watching this happen to a great game. 

nothing really happens.. you are hull city fan and I dont even think they would want your team in the US or any other country touring... so enjoy your local footy mate :drunk:

Just now, Asura said:

nothing really happens.. you are hull city fan and I dont even think they would want your team in the US or any other country touring... so enjoy your local footy mate :drunk:

If the pinnacle of the English game is demeaned by selling themselves to greasy, fat right-wing Americans then the whole pyramid is demeaned. It's not one or the other. 

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived