talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

16 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Sport, ultimately, is not important. Unload your irrationality onto that, this prevents you from being a complete cunt in real life...I find.

Having said, I stand by all my points. America can fuck right off when it comes to footy, tacky, tasteless shit is what America will bring.

What a shit argument xD

The irony of it as well . Here's an idea, just don't be a cunt? 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

You can reduce almost anything culturally 'ultimately unimportant'; that isn't a sound argument at all because just because you perceive something to be a venue to unload irrationality doesn't mean others do as well. Is it still objectively unimportant when a derby match has very real world implications? Deaths of fans, traffic congestion, riots, violence, etc. Is it unimportant when the city of Napoli shuts down for the day, and celebrates their identity of 'those terrone'? Just because sports can be perceived as a frivolity of survival doesn't mean that they aren't an important corner-stone of culture. You are telling me that sports are ultimately not important, but at the same time lamenting the loss of identity and culture that foreign influence on that sport has. So are sports unimportant, or are they an important component of your cultural and national identity? I'm getting mixed signals

You may percieve it as tacky and tasteless (which a lot of it can be, both in Europe and America) but that is merely the eye of the beholder, some others may find whatever you do to be the same.

Who said I care what others think? I don't. Do you? What's important to you is all that's important, why would you be arsed about what I or any other person on this forum thinks, it's like a breeding ground for delinquents. I can happily resent Americanisation of football and stand up for globalisation in the politics threads. Am I hypocrite, quite possibly, but so is every human being. It's all a laugh.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Who said I care what others think? I don't. Do you? What's important to you is all that's important, why would you be arsed about what I or any other person on this forum thinks, it's like a breeding ground for delinquents. I can happily resent Americanisation of football and stand up for globalisation in the politics threads. Am I hypocrite, quite possibly, but so is every human being. It's all a laugh.

Of course I care what others think, I am not a psychopath. I care very deeply about my peers, friends, and family. If they do not like me for who I am, that is okay, I won't change their perception because I'd rather sincerity over manipulation, but if a lot of people disliked me, then maybe they aren't the problem, I am. A very solipsistic world view can be very harmful, as we are social animals, not solitary predators that exist within a vacuum.

Acknowledging hypocrisy doesn't make it okay! xD All it does is ruin your integrity. Imagine the police officer that stand for justice but at the same time unlawfully beats up a man, acknowledging the hypocrisy doesn't absolve the sins.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The real point I was trying to make, is that I think playing domestic games in America is not a good idea. 

could have just said that from the start xD 

Just now, Spike said:

Of course I care what others think, I am not a psychopath. I care very deeply about my peers, friends, and family. If they do not like me for who I am, that is okay, I won't change their perception because I'd rather sincerity over manipulation, but if a lot of people disliked me, then maybe they aren't the problem, I am. A very solipsistic world view can be very harmful, as we are social animals, not solitary predators that exist within a vacuum.

Acknowledging hypocrisy doesn't make it okay! xD All it does is ruin your integrity. Imagine the police officer that stand for justice but at the same time unlawfully beats up a man, acknowledging the hypocrisy doesn't absolve the sins.

Okay, I care what my friends think but this is an internet forum, do you care about anyone on here? I'd hope not.

It's all gone off on a tangent but the basic points I'm making stand up. The game is being taken away from working-class people who football clubs were set up to represent, many people don't care about that but I think it's a bit shit.

1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The real point I was trying to make, is that I think playing domestic games in America is not a good idea. 

Which is a perfectly fine point of view. It's when you disseminate that view with vitriolic and unnecessary comments towards nearly 400,000,000 people most of whom probably don't care about your sport, is when you become something else. I even agree with you, but I won't stand idly by while you insult and generalise the culture and people of many that I dearly love. 

lol I dont think one person on this forum and in this thread said otherwise. Everyone said thats a bad idea and none wanted that to happen just like you but without having a meltdown xD

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Okay, I care what my friends think but this is an internet forum, do you care about anyone on here? I'd hope not.

It's all gone off on a tangent but the basic points I'm making stand up. The game is being taken away from working-class people who football clubs were set up to represent, many people don't care about that but I think it's a bit shit.

I think you have misunderstanding. I don't care if someone dislikes me that is their own prerogative, but of course I care when they do in fact like me. I have met many people from online forums and created friendships with them, not just online but in real life. You can dismiss the internet if you like, but the internet is now a very real, a very substantial component of modern day life. I'd rather discuss subject that people I enjoy having a discourse with over jackasses.

If I want somewhere I really don't care and the feeling is mutual, I'll got to an anonymous online imageboard like 4chan. Maybe the anonymity is more your speed.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You do realise that every single member on this forum who isn't English, agrees with you right? 

No doubt that "new" rich clubs with foreign owners or investors will be the first to want to play games abroad. For them football is nothing but a business and they honestly couldn't care less about the average match goer. The billionaires play the cards here and whatever generates more venue, will be what is put to practice.

Football caught the HIV in the 90's and now it effectively got the AIDS.

The game was taken away from the working class the moment it became professional and international. It isn't being 'taken' away at all, that happened years ago. It isn't a symptom greed, it's a symptom of technology. Technology is what caused the change, when it was no longer necessary to be from Leeds to watch Leeds United is when Leeds United stop being about the people of Yorkshire. Far transmission radio, TV, internet, killed the locality of sports. 

IN FACT American still does this quite well. It's hard to watch sports that aren't local in America without paying for subscription services. Live in Chicago? Nearly all sports will be Chicago teams on the TV. Support Boston teams but live in Colorado? Good luck, because all sports will be Colorado based. Haha, it turns out American teams still do represent their localities better than Europeans LOL

29 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not one person on here, including the Americans, have said anything other than this. 

No real football fan thinks otherwise on this point. 

6 minutes ago, Eco said:

Not one person on here, including the Americans, have said anything other than this. 

No real football fan thinks otherwise on this point. 

The only club, I feel that can play anywhere, play anyone, and be supported by anyone without a second doubt is... Inter Milan. It is the whole founding concept of the club. 

"This wonderful night bestows us with the colours of our crest: black and azure against a gilded backdrop of stars. It shall be called International, because we are brothers of the world."

16 minutes ago, Spike said:

The only club, I feel that can play anywhere, play anyone, and be supported by anyone without a second doubt is... Inter Milan. It is the whole founding concept of the club. 

"This wonderful night bestows us with the colours of our crest: black and azure against a gilded backdrop of stars. It shall be called International, because we are brothers of the world."

In the future those twats of Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami could brag of the same. :usa:

Questions for US connoisseurs: to what extent would you say Spanish-speaking people are over-represented in the US "soccer" tv & match-attending market?

And totally unrelated request: @Stan As administrator, could you add an Atlético de Madrid crest?

45 minutes ago, Spike said:

tell me more about this....im interested

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I agree, Internazionale is a wonderful club. Odd how they have such a far-right following who find common cause with the strange creatures who follow Lazio.

29 minutes ago, Kowabunga said:

In the future those twats of Internacional Club de Fútbol Miami could brag of the same. :usa:

Questions for US connoisseurs: to what extent would you say Spanish-speaking people are over-represented in the US "soccer" tv & match-attending market?

And totally unrelated request: @Stan As administrator, could you add an Atlético de Madrid crest?

Telemundo televises a lot of games and when I was trying to watch the world cup on an NBCSN app on my iPad I could only get Spanish audio. It is also very dependant on where you are in the States. LA FC and LA Galaxy go hard for Mexican players to appeal to Mexicans and Chicanos. Where I lived in Atlanta had a lot of Bosnians and Colombians that were mad into the new Atlanta United team. The 'home' of American sokka is the pacific north-west, Seattle and Portland which are very non-latino American caucasian.

18 minutes ago, Asura said:

tell me more about this....im interested

Inter were founded because some people at A.C. Milan were upset that A.C. wouldn't let their foreign friends play at the club; so it was founded on the ideals that anyone can play the sport. 'Kick out racism' before it was a slogan.

I agree, Internazionale is a wonderful club. Odd how they have such a far-right following who find common cause with the strange creatures who follow Lazio.

Every team in Italy has right-wing sympathies at some level of support. Even Roma, but Roma gets a 'pass' because their rivals take it to the extreme making Roma look benign. Fucking Roma fans walk around the stadium doing the 'Puncicate' to foreign fans! 

Just now, Eco said:

We have a ton of hispanics here in Atlanta, and still there are about 5-7 Atlanta United games a year that I can only watch in Spanish. 

Technically Filipinos are Hispanic as well and don't speak Spanish! (and they are everywhere) :whistling:

Just now, Spike said:

Technically Filipinos are Hispanic as well and don't speak Spanish! (and they are everywhere) :whistling:

I actually did not know this. Typically when Hispanics is used in this area, we mean Central America.

Just now, Eco said:

I actually did not know this. Typically when Hispanics is used in this area, we mean Central America.

Hispanic is a really stupid term in English anyway. It just means any culture or nationality that is significantly influenced by the Spanish. Morocco and the Philippines both have significant Spanish influence but neither speak the language.

It has racial connotations in America because most people think this when they hear the term 'Hispanic'.

Image result for dark mexican

3 hours ago, Kowabunga said:

I had a big feeling that Barça would be the first to do this.  They've been investing a lot in the US for while now and only two years ago spent a lot of money on their headquarters in Manhattan, New York where Infact more work is done on the FC Barcelona brand name than in the central offices in the city of Barcelona.

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived