talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a serious note, i dont like this concept. Maybe this move will give people like me who dont live in Spain to watch spanish clubs play a competitive match (unlike the friendlies in summer) but still I think thats a bad concept. I dont want that to happen at the expense of the local match going fans missing their home club matches. It doesnt make any sense at all. 

Also im almost 100% positive that there wont be any matches like osasuna vs getafe or those sorts because no one will go to those matches in USA or Canada leaving the organisers empty handed. 

first off, these american money hungry cunts should stop using the word SOCCER ......    it's FOOTBALL  !!!    if they want to promote football in their region, then they should start by using the proper name --- FOOTBALL.

"This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."

5 minutes ago, Asura said:

duh

giphy.webp

Can't be that much money though, surely. If El Classico, during league play, were to be played in Miami or LA, would it really generate that much more month than playing it like they regularly do? 

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Sorry @Eco but this is a prime reason as to why I can't stand the states. Always need extra media attention. 

Your logic is absurd. La Liga has obviously accepted this, yet they don't bother you...#BertieLogic

If I offer you $100 to run down your street naked screaming, and you accept. How does that make me the bad guy? Right, it doesn't. It makes you the greedy hungry fool. 
Yet I assume that you also blame America for playing NFL games in London because of media attention, whereas this is exactly what La Liga are doing. 

I don't understand you Brian, I really don't. If there was one person I had to name that was desperate for attention, it would be you. 

5 minutes ago, bozziovai said:

first off, these american money hungry cunts should stop using the word SOCCER ......    it's FOOTBALL  !!!    if they want to promote football in their region, then they should start by using the proper name --- FOOTBALL.

"This unique relationship will create new opportunities for millions of North American soccer fans to experience the most passionate, exciting, and highest level of soccer in the world."

I say football on here, but soccer when I am around others to avoid confusion with what we call Football. Truth is, who gives a shit. Is your identity so thin that this really effects you so much? Soccer/Football is growing in the states, so the name in which you give it is irrelevant. 

Just now, Eco said:

Can't be that much money though, surely. If El Classico, during league play, were to be played in Miami or LA, would it really generate that much more month than playing it like they regularly do? 

Your logic is absurd. La Liga has obviously accepted this, yet they don't bother you...#BertieLogic

If I offer you $100 to run down your street naked screaming, and you accept. How does that make me the bad guy? Right, it doesn't. It makes you the greedy hungry fool. 
Yet I assume that you also blame America for playing NFL games in London because of media attention, whereas this is exactly what La Liga are doing. 

I don't understand you Brian, I really don't. If there was one person I had to name that was desperate for attention, it would be you. 

But why the USA? There are hundreds of other countries that would love to see Barcelona vs Real Madrid, yet they pick the one that always gets all the attention. I never said it wasn't La Liga's fault, but it bothers me that everything is US, US and US bla bla bla.

Not having a pop at you, I'm having a go at the USA who always gets all the attention. They aren't the only country that exists FFS.

At the end of the day, I would be against La Liga sending games anywhere outside of Spain, but of course they pick the one country eveeryoooone loves.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I say football on here, but soccer when I am around others to avoid confusion with what we call Football. Truth is, who gives a shit. Is your identity so thin that this really effects you so much? Soccer/Football is growing in the states, so the name in which you give it is irrelevant. 

I did the same in Canada. Called it football with real fans and called it soccer with non-affiliated people.

Just now, Blue said:

But why the USA? There are hundreds of other countries that would love to see Barcelona vs Real Madrid, yet they pick the one that always gets all the attention. I never said it wasn't La Liga's fault, but it bothers me that everything is US, US and US bla bla bla.

Not having a pop at you, I'm having a go at the USA who always gets all the attention. They aren't the only country that exists FFS.

At the end of the day, I would be against La Liga sending games anywhere outside of Spain, but of course they pick the one country eveeryoooone loves.

See, right there you are wrong. IF you were going to play it outside of Europe, which makes sense IF you had to move it, you only have a handful of options in terms of exposure, proper stadium, and financial backing. 

Off the top of my head, I have USA and China. Sure you could head to South America, but it's not perceived as glamorous for fans. 

List me 5 countries outside of Europe that doing this would make sense if you HAD to do it....

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

Im not sure about numbers but I would definitely assume so... an average NFL ticket costs a lot more than a typical football match in europe (atleast thats what I heard)... Also since these are going to be one off games that will be played in USA the organisers can definitely charge more... plus the marketing of the clubs in the continent... throw in the Nikes and Adidases in the mix... I guess thats going to be a lot of money... 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

let me be a cunt for a second.     Americans use the name "football" for a sport that doesn't even use the feet, well only during a field goal,  just a whole mass of bodies and padding and throwing a pig skin and carrying it around with their HANDS to the end zone.   Now, that's facked up.

Just now, Asura said:

Im not sure about numbers but I would definitely assume so... an average NFL ticket costs a lot more than a typical football match in europe (atleast thats what I heard)... Also since these are going to be one off games that will be played in USA the organisers can definitely charge more... plus the marketing of the clubs in the continent... throw in the Nikes and Adidases in the mix... I guess thats going to be a lot of money... 

Well they already did an El Classico in Miami, and while it was preseason, it was also terrible to watch and the crowd didn't seem to give a shit. They could haven't gotten a load of money, but it doesn't seem worth it knowing that you are going to piss off your own fans by doing this. 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Eco said:

It's not only about the gate receipts though. It's a 15 year partnership and competitive La Liga matches in the US is just a part of it... think in terms of exposure, TV rights, merchandise, new sponsors, etc. 

I hate this shite, but that's modern football for you. It's nothing more than business.

Just now, Eco said:

Well they already did an El Classico in Miami, and while it was preseason, it was also terrible to watch and the crowd didn't seem to give a shit. They could haven't gotten a load of money, but it doesn't seem worth it knowing that you are going to piss off your own fans by doing this. 

yeah but we all know thats a friendly though... however if the same match happens during league duration then the players are going to play to their full potential which means higher chances of having a good match... 

Definitely going to piss off the local fans and I honestly dont like this concept at all... 

1 minute ago, bozziovai said:

let me be a cunt for a second.     Americans use the name "football" for a sport that doesn't even use the feet, well only during a field goal,  just a whole mass of bodies and padding and throwing a pig skin and carrying it around with their HANDS to the end zone.   Now, that's facked up.

Rugby Football, American Football, Gaelic Football, Aussie Rules Football...

It's just a name.

Just now, Eco said:

See, right there you are wrong. IF you were going to play it outside of Europe, which makes sense IF you had to move it, you only have a handful of options in terms of exposure, proper stadium, and financial backing. 

Off the top of my head, I have USA and China. Sure you could head to South America, but it's not perceived as glamorous for fans. 

List me 5 countries outside of Europe that doing this would make sense if you HAD to do it....

Argentina, China, Australia, Canada and Mexico.

Just now, ScoRoss said:

Rugby Football, American Football, Gaelic Football, Aussie Rules Football...

It's just a name.

Nauruan football :what:

Just now, bozziovai said:

Wow...never heard that before...¬¬

Read and learn something - 

From Time Magazine

To Americans, it’s soccer. To most of the rest of the world, (including England, the birthplace of the modern sport,) it’s football. But what most people don’t know is that the word “soccer” is not in fact an American invention. On the contrary, it was an import from England, and one that was commonly used there until relatively recently.

At least, that’s the argument made by Stefan Szymanski, a professor of sports economics at the University of Michigan. In a paper from 2014, Szymanski writes that “soccer” originated in late 19th century England, as a way of differentiating between variants of the game which at that time did not have a commonly agreed-upon set of rules.

In the early 1800s in England, football and rugby existed as different variations of the same game. But in 1863, the Football Association was formed to codify the rules of football so that aristocratic boys from different schools could play against one another. In 1871, the Rugby Football Union followed suit. The two sports officially became known as Rugby Football and Association Football. (Those new rules were slow to spread to America, where another version of the game was evolving — one that the rest of the world now knows as “American football,” and is played in the NFL.)

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Canada is included in this new deal, it's USA and Canada.

China is the next step.

All other markets are not big enough to generate enough revenue I reckon.

Just now, nudge said:

Canada is included in this new deal, it's USA and Canada.

China is the next step.

All other markets are not big enough to generate enough revenue I reckon.

Mexico and Argentina definitely can.

Mexico has the second biggest stadium in the world and a big population.

Argentina on the other hand, always fills up everything.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

No to Australia because of Time Zone
No to Mexico because of the bad rep for crime and safety
No to Canada because there wouldn't be much exposure. EDIT: Just saw this is a deal which includes Canada. So I guess I was wrong about this. 

Argentina is a maybe. I'm not sure how stable is currently is there. 

And I already said China. 

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived