talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

La Liga in America

What about the fans of these clubs who are local and go every week. How do they get to the USA and China to watch these games?

Spanish football has become utterly farcical. It's sad that a league which stayed so traditional to its roots is the one that is putting the final nail in the coffin, as this is what this is. Why do we even watch football anymore?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Blue said:

Mexico and Argentina definitely can.

Mexico has the second biggest stadium in the world and a big population.

Argentina on the other hand, always fills up everything.

Mexico also has a terrible rep for crime rates, and are dealing with some infrastructure issues at the moment. 

They should do what the NFL does when it sends teams to London. Send 2 teams nobody will give a fuck about.

But ultimately, I hate shite like this. I really hope that this doesn't generate any money for La Liga so England doesn't follow suit.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Football's already big in those places though.

1 minute ago, Eco said:

No to Australia because of Time Zone
No to Mexico because of the bad rep for crime and safety
No to Canada because there wouldn't be much exposure. 

Argentina is a maybe. I'm not sure how stable is currently is there. 

And I already said China. 

Ok you've got me on Australia.

Mexican fans are not dangerous. It may be a country with a lot of crime but in terms of football they are calm barras and don't really fight a whole lot. Argentina is a lot worse for it.

Canada would have a ton of exposure. TFC fills up most of their games, you need to place it in Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal which are the multicultural cities. Regular Canadians wouldn't care.

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

But why the USA? There are hundreds of other countries that would love to see Barcelona vs Real Madrid, yet they pick the one that always gets all the attention. I never said it wasn't La Liga's fault, but it bothers me that everything is US, US and US bla bla bla.

Not having a pop at you, I'm having a go at the USA who always gets all the attention. They aren't the only country that exists FFS.

At the end of the day, I would be against La Liga sending games anywhere outside of Spain, but of course they pick the one country eveeryoooone loves.

How did you become a journalist mate? Im sorry but your question about USA getting the attention sounds very stupid to me.

USA has more money obviously and companies that can spend in terms of sponsorship... its a clear strategy that spanish league wants to grow more in the states. Why would they want to go to a country like, lets say, Peru which has more footballing culture and more passionate fans but less money instead of a rich country like USA?

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

As I said above, it's not really about filling the stadiums... Can Mexico, Australia or Argentina offer a TV rights deal of 1 billion USD?  Do they have enough big companies that are interested in  excessive sponsorship deals? Is there enough marketing opportunities? Doubtful.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Football's already big in those places though.

That's the issue though, what's the big issue with trying to "increase" popularity in those countries though? Why do they care? There are plenty of countries that try to be a football nation yet the USA gets the golden boy treatment because they are a country with lots of media attention. 

Even China still struggles with these deals.

It's kind of like Canadians and the UK crying over the USA elections. Focus on your own country you nobheads,

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

As I said above, it's not really about filling the stadiums... Can Mexico, Australia or Argentina offer a TV rights deal of 1 billion USD?  Do they have enough big companies that are interested in  excessive sponsorship deals? Is there enough marketing opportunities? Doubtful.

That's fair enough, but in the end sending La Liga outside of Spain is stupid. I just dislike the USA for all their attention when they really aren't that special in my eyes.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

What about the fans of these clubs who are local and go every week. How do they get to the USA and China to watch these games?

Spanish football has become utterly farcical. It's sad that a league which stayed so traditional to its roots is the one that is putting the final nail in the coffin, as this is what this is. Why do we even watch football anymore?

We'll switch to amateur football once professional football is completely off the rails, problem solved...

3 minutes ago, Asura said:

How did you become a journalist mate? Im sorry but your question about USA getting the attention sounds very stupid to me.

USA has more money obviously and companies that can spend in terms of sponsorship... its a clear strategy that spanish league wants to grow more in the states. Why would they want to go to a country like, lets say, Peru which has more footballing culture and more passionate fans but less money instead of a rich country like USA?

I never said Peru. Mexico, China can do it, as can any of the gulf states.

Just now, nudge said:

We'll switch to amateur football once professional football is completely off the rails, problem solved...

Kind of like boxing. KSI vs Logan Paul is what the sport has become :( 

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I never said Peru. Mexico, China can do it, as can any of the gulf states.

Peru was just an example... USA dwarfs any other countries (maybe barring China) in terms of potential revenue... 

• Subscriber
Just now, Blue said:

That's fair enough, but in the end sending La Liga outside of Spain is stupid. I just dislike the USA for all their attention when they really aren't that special in my eyes.

Of course it's stupid from our point of view. Football clubs are businesses though and don't really give a fuck about fans anymore, so I'm not sure why anyone is acting surprised... It's been a long time coming.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

This has fuck all to do with the "USA seeking attention" - this has everything to do with the USA being a giant consumer nation and top flight European football being consumed more and more by American TV watchers. I think right now the prem pretty much dominates that market though, this is La Liga trying to break into the same market and they've probably looked at recent pre-season tour revenue for clubs and seen that US fans will fill stadiums for teams they've heard of before.

Which pretty much guarantees that we'll see El Classico in the USA in a few seasons, I think, unfortunately. But I agree with you that sending La Liga outside of Spain is stupid.

I hope the spanish fans in spain protests this move in some way or the other and let their voice heard.

lets hope @SirBalon does a total nude streaking infront of the laliga main office in madrid and get this move reversed. Full power to you Balon :twothumbsup:

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

This has fuck all to do with the "USA seeking attention" - this has everything to do with the USA being a giant consumer nation and top flight European football being consumed more and more by American TV watchers. I think right now the prem pretty much dominates that market though, this is La Liga trying to break into the same market and they've probably looked at recent pre-season tour revenue for clubs and seen that US fans will fill stadiums for teams they've heard of before.

Which pretty much guarantees that we'll see El Classico in the USA in a few seasons, I think, unfortunately. But I agree with you that sending La Liga outside of Spain is stupid.

My post had nothing to do with La Liga games meaning the USA are seeking attention, I just said in general the USA gets a lot of media attention, when they aren't very special. They are just another country. Do they have importance in the world? Absolutely. Very much so. But its blown out of porportion to the point where some people pay more attention to the USA than their own countries.

It was the case when I was in Canada.

Just now, Blue said:

My post had nothing to do with La Liga games meaning the USA are seeking attention, I just said in general the USA gets a lot of media attention, when they aren't very special. They are just another country. Do they have importance in the world? Absolutely. Very much so. But its blown out of porportion to the point where some people pay more attention to the USA than their own countries.

hehe take your anti USA rant to the politics section or something man... they are giant market with a lot of money and huge companies that can sponsor the league and teams... 

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

You need to post in another thread then. You are obviously hurt or offended by something Trump or the USA has done, which is strange since our closet allies are France and...that's right, Canada. 

Take your bigotry to the political section so I don't have to personal move you posts there myself. 

28 minutes ago, Eco said:

Can't be that much money though, surely. If El Classico, during league play, were to be played in Miami or LA, would it really generate that much more month than playing it like they regularly do? 

Your logic is absurd. La Liga has obviously accepted this, yet they don't bother you...#BertieLogic

If I offer you $100 to run down your street naked screaming, and you accept. How does that make me the bad guy? Right, it doesn't. It makes you the greedy hungry fool. 
Yet I assume that you also blame America for playing NFL games in London because of media attention, whereas this is exactly what La Liga are doing. 

I don't understand you Brian, I really don't. If there was one person I had to name that was desperate for attention, it would be you. 

18 minutes ago, nudge said:

It's not only about the gate receipts though. It's a 15 year partnership and competitive La Liga matches in the US is just a part of it... think in terms of exposure, TV rights, merchandise, new sponsors, etc. 

I hate this shite, but that's modern football for you. It's nothing more than business.

Nudge got it right... Answering @Eco it's not about the actual money hit. Infact it would cost money to take a game to the US and the profits would be minimal and negligent. It's about media exposure and the market... The US market is the biggest in the world and you guys have a massive population of Hispanics that see Spanish football as the temple of the sport with Real and Barça. 

I work in the marketing world and it's no eureka moment that this would be a massive hit because Hispanics rule the US Soccer world and their attention alone will push other Americans to buy into the idea. It's actually good for US Socce too because it's obvious which game they'd choose and if it wasn't that one there are two or three other ones that would bring in the media attention the raw MLS has never been able to attract.

It's the next step after what the Premier League started in a different way back in 1992.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's the world's biggest media market xD of course they get a lot of media attention. They're also a superpower, which is why they get a lot of political attention from every country. You'd think a journalist would know that...

• The title was changed to La Liga in America

Archived