talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liga MX - México

football forum

Didn't mention the result last night. Monarcas ended up winning 1-0. It was a good win for them as the defence for the most part had Tijuana controlled. Gabriel Achillier was massive, best player on the pitch last night by some distance. Sebastian Sosa was also very good as he was confident and made a couple saves that could have changed the game.

Hopefully the Ruidiaz injury isn't serious. I said he'll probably be out for the second leg and if he is, I can't see Monarcas successfully knocking out Xolos.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gignac has hit form at the right time for Tigres. That was a superb free-kick to open the scoring yesterday. I thought that Rayados would offer a bit more resistance over the two legs. Ferretti bringing on Meza to bolster the Tigres defence in the 25th minute or so was a smart substitution, and Rayados struggled to find a way through. 

An awful performance from Toluca last night and they have Talavera to thank for holding on in those last 30 minutes and progressing to the semi-finals. 

I've lost count of the number of Liga MX liguilla ties I've seen over the years, where both legs have been won by the away teams. I do love this craziness.  

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Gignac has hit form at the right time for Tigres. That was a superb free-kick to open the scoring yesterday. I thought that Rayados would offer a bit more resistance over the two legs. Ferretti bringing on Meza to bolster the Tigres defence in the 25th minute or so was a smart substitution, and Rayados struggled to find a way through. 

An awful performance from Toluca last night and they have Talavera to thank for holding on in those last 30 minutes and progressing to the semi-finals. 

I've lost count of the number of Liga MX liguilla ties I've seen over the years, where both legs have been won by the away teams. I do love this craziness.  

I was talking to one of the guys on ESPN MX and we agreed that Gignac is like Lebron James in the NBA. Doubtful in the regular season but shows up when it most matters. Different sports but similar "post season mentalities" if you get where I'm going with this.

Today Monarcas play Xolos and without Ruidiaz I think they'll struggle. Still hope they win with Andy Polo around but it will definitely be tougher now.

Yes I understand that comparison. He definitely raises his game for the liguilla time and time again. It's very impressive and you expect it to happen. 

The only negative is that he hasn't been able to win an international competition with Tigres, with them losing the 2015 Copa Libertadores final against River Plate (they prioritised that competition) and the last 2 CONCACAF Champions League finals against América and Pachuca respectively. But it's always tough to manage that hectic scheduling and win domestic and international titles in the same season. 

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yes I understand that comparison. He definitely raises his game for the liguilla time and time again. It's very impressive and you expect it to happen. 

The only negative is that he hasn't been able to win an international competition with Tigres, with them losing the 2015 Copa Libertadores final against River Plate (they prioritised that competition) and the last 2 CONCACAF Champions League finals against América and Pachuca respectively. But it's always tough to manage that hectic scheduling and win domestic and international titles in the same season. 

Tigres are complete chokers in international finals. For me they were a better side than that River Plate overall and possibly over Club America. I'd definitely say they're better than Pachuca.

45 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Tigres are complete chokers in international finals. For me they were a better side than that River Plate overall and possibly over Club America. I'd definitely say they're better than Pachuca.

Yes they have the most expensively assembled squad in the Western Hemisphere and should have won an international title by now.

The 2015 Copa Libertadores was crazy. They were in the same group as River Plate and twice had the opportunity to eliminate them. In the penultimate round they faced River at home. They were already safely through to the next round with River battling desperately for 2nd place. Tigres were leading 2-0 before River scored 2 late goals to secure a crucial draw. And then in the final round of group matches they were losing 3-1 away to Juan Aurich but fought back to win 5-4, sending Juan Aurich out and River through to the knockout stages with them. 

In the final they dominated in the first leg at home but missed a lot of chances (credit to River for their defending though), and in the 2nd leg in El Monumental they had the better chances to score before the River eventually took the lead, and had some good chances to equalise before River scored their 2nd goal and then put the tie to bed. 

Against América in 2016, they had over two thirds of possession across both legs, but failed to create too many meaningful chances with it.

And Pachuca put in some heroic defending to keep them out in the 2nd leg in the last month's final. As I said before, I like Pachuca with them bringing through their own or signing a lot of young talented Mexican players like Lozano, Gutiérrez. Pizarro (sold to Chivas for a lot of money) and Aguirre. I think was a great storyline for football, a team with a lot of talented young players (Pachuca), beating an opponent with an expensively assembled squad (Tigres). 

Huge respect to a club like Chivas. Despite the South American dominance in the league, they still manage to do well. If Monarcas lose today, then my second hope would be Chivas to win it.

Based on these performances and the absence of club america in the liguilla, I would be shocked if Tigres didn't win the league.

Tigres won 2-0 and are a step into the final. While comebacks are common in this league, I can't see Xolos pull it off here. Tigres are outstanding offensively and will score one in Tijuana.

Chivas and Toluca draw but this one is hard to predict. I want to say Chivas will go on but Toluca have been very good away from home and that could be where they get a result. Hope Guadalajara do it as I have respect for them as a club.

Chivas and Toluca have both been in pretty poor form over last 7 matches or so, not helped by injuries, so it was always going to be interesting how to see how this tie would pan out. Yesterday's first leg certainly came to life in those last 10 minutes. 

It's true Toluca are a better team away from home than at home, so they will certainly feel that they can win in Guadalajara. 

Rodolfo Pizarro is just pure quality. I would have preferred to have seem him make the step up to a European league rather than a big money transfer to Chivas. However in the Liga MX he has generally stepped up time after time for both Pachuca and Chivas (when he has been fit). 

The war of words between Tuca Ferretti and Herrera ahead of the Tigres-Xolos tie was pretty fun. Ferretti had a dig at Herrera for his widely reported agreement to rejoin América while still coaching Xolos in the playoffs. Herrera responded by telling Ferretti to mind his own business. 

Tigres have scored 16 goals in their last 5 matches. Xolos's goalkeeper Lajud was brilliant and prevented Tigres from winning by a much bigger margin. 

So Chivas vs Tigres is the final. Great to see Guadalajara go back to another final. Proving that the home grown philosophy can keep Chivas a powerful team. Honestly. I don't see anyway Tigres don't win but I still think the final should be interesting. Hopefully Chivas do it.

Chivas-Tigres is an intriguing heavyweight final between one of the traditional powerhouses of Mexican football, and the new kids on the block so to speak.

I want Chivas to win but I would shocked if they were overcome such an in-form Tigres team. 

Chivas 2-0 up at the half. Surprise result so far, but despite Nahuel Guzman having been dreadful, Chivas deserve their lead. What an atmosphere it will be next game!

There is no better league in the world for entertainment than the Liga MX.

What a fucking final. 2-2 is the end of the first leg.

In terms of a balance between both excitement and footballing quality, Liga MX is right up there with the best of them. The liguilla especially is always exciting. I know quite a few football purists in who want to scrap the Liguilla and the Apertura/Clausura format and just have one single 34 game system, like the European leagues. However this current format is so entertaining and it generates too much money for them to scrap. Liga MX games consistently generate higher TV ratings in the USA than Premier League, La Liga or MLS games. 

Guzman was at fault for both of Chivas's goals and should have caught them both, although as a big Rodolfo Pizarro fanboy I was happy to see him scoring yet again in a big game. Chivas were the better team for most of the first hour, and Orbelín Pineda was superb in linking the play between the midfield and the forwards. I thought they kept Tigres at bay very well for that first hour. 

But then as expected for the last 30 minutes Tigres surged forward and completely dominated the game. The turning point was Ferretti bringing on both Jurgen Damm and Damián Álvarez, who both looked dangerous and made an impact. Their depth and attacking options are just scary. And as expected it was Gignac who rescued Tigres and delivered yet again in a big game. 

This sets things up very nice for the second leg in Guadalajara on Sunday. I definitely want Chivas to win this and complete a double alongside their Copa MX title last month. Matías Almeyda has revitalised the club and this season they have been a joy to watch. 

A friend of mine in Monterrey paid the equivalent of $600 to watch this match. As much as I love football there's no way I would ever pay that much for any match, I'd much rather watch on TV. 

MÉXICO -- El Apertura 2017 arrancará con la implementación de la regla 9/9, dándole un lugar más a los futbolistas mexicanos y quitando un espacio a los elementos foráneos dentro de los encuentros de la Liga Bancomer MX.

El Comité de Desarrollo Deportivo se ha reunido en los últimos días en la Federación Mexicana de Futbol para detallar los puntos a aprobar en la próxima Asamblea de Dueños, misma que se realizará una semana previa a la final del presente certamen.

El presente Clausura 2017 contó con la mayor participación de elementos extranjeros en la historia, con 201 no nacidos en el país.

Equipos como Veracruz contaron en el presente torneo con 20 elementos no nacidos en suelo nacional, mientras que el recién descendido Chiapas tuvo en sus filas a 19.

De esta manera, el Comité cumplirá con lo acordado durante la junta que sostuvieron previo al arranque del Apertura 2016 y quitarán posiciones a los futbolistas que emigran al país, para ofrecer más minutos a los formados en las fuerzas básicas de México.

https://espndeportes.espn.com/futbol/mexico/nota/_/id/3164955/el-apertura-2017-arrancara-con-la-regla-9/9

So the very divisive 10-8 rule will be changed to 9/9 from next season's Apertura, removing one slot for foreign players and adding one more for Mexicans.

Entertainment wise, the Liga MX has been superb this season and as good as ever, but of course in a lot of cases young Mexican players have been struggling to get minutes, which hasn't been great for the Mexican NT as Osorio has publicly said. In an ideal scenario from the perspective of the NT, more of the Mexican players in their mid-20s would move to Europe to test themselves at a higher level there, while the younger Mexican players would step in and take their place in Liga MX. Of course a lot of Mexican players understandably don't want to move to Europe when they may have to take a pay cut and fight for their place. 

Of course the rule also wasn't popular with US born Mexican players or other naturalised Mexicans, as to count as domestic Mexican player, you have to register with the FMF by the age of 18 (or 19 if born in the US).

As much as I'd like Chivas to win, I think Tigres will probably get the win in Guadalajara. They've been superb these playoffs and had their off day yesterday. Hopefully I'm wrong as I have huge respect for a team like Chivas but I can definitely see Tigres getting a win there. The final is far from over.

Eduardo Coudet is the new Xolos manager after Piojo went back to Club America. Superb appointment for them.

Xolos have a history of appointing Argentine managers in recent years. They will be hoping that he follows in the footsteps of Antonio Mohamed rather than Jorge Almiron. He did a very good job with the resources available to him at Rosario Central, so the signs look optimistic. 

It looks like Hirving Lozano will leave Pachuca this summer for Celta Vigo. That is great news and I hope the deal is finalised soon. The more Mexicans playing in the top European leagues the better. I'm a big fan of him and the other notable graduates from Pachuca's outstanding youth academy. He has won both a Liga MX title and the CONCACAF Champions League with the club over the past 2 years, so it's now time to the make the step up to La Liga. 

I'm really looking for to tonight's 2nd leg. With it a being a public holiday in the UK tomorrow, I should be able to stay up to watch it.

Speaking of Tigres, considering the outstanding form that Jesús Dueñas has shown for them for a quite a while now, I wonder if he can threaten Héctor Herrera's starting place for NT. Herrera was once again very poor for the NT in the friendly defeat to Croatia yesterday, when Chicharito scored his 47th goal to become the all-time leading goal-scorer. And he has struggled at Porto and usually sat on the bench since the New Year. He doesn't appear to have the same confidence with his passing these days. 

• The topic was pinned
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived