talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Liga MX - México

football forum

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pedro Aquino joins Monterrey and will be loaned to Lobos! Not sure how far Lobos can go but they've gotten ahold of a few good players and think they will put in a good campaign. This is a good move for Aquino and the Peru NT, especially as he needed to escape the hellhole that was currently Sporting Cristal.

Not a Peruvian but a player joining from Peru, William Palacios. He's good but I'm not so sure he's good enough to play in Mexico although this will definitely hurt Comerciantes Unidos as he's one of their key players.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Teso Dos Bichos said:

Tigres was also linked with ever banega

Nice avi xD

I have NEVER understood the layout of the Mexican League, but I may try and watch some since I'm learning Spanish and you can always find a couple of matches on. Teso, what's your team?

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Nice avi xD

I have NEVER understood the layout of the Mexican League, but I may try and watch some since I'm learning Spanish and you can always find a couple of matches on. Teso, what's your team?

Its very similar to what Argentina was. Apertura, Clausura and a 3 year point system for the relegation. Mix that with the Colombian league where the top 8 teams go into a playoff. 

Just now, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Its very similar to what Argentina was. Apertura, Clausura and a 3 year point system for the relegation. Mix that with the Colombian league where the top 8 teams go into a playoff. 

I have never kept up with Argentina. Unless it's the standard European system, or like the MLS where there isn't one, I'm probably clueless.

Just now, Eco said:

I have never kept up with Argentina. Unless it's the standard European system, or like the MLS where there isn't one, I'm probably clueless.

Apertura is the first half of the season, Clausura is second half. Its like 2 seasons in 1. Its pretty easy to learn, the only hard part to get a grip of is the relegation system which to this day I still can't fully explain.

Some leagues have the 2 champions of the season to play a playoff against each other for the super champion, but Mexico doesn't have this. If I'm correct, I think Argentina did before it reverted to that silly 30 team league.

5 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

Apertura is the first half of the season, Clausura is second half. Its like 2 seasons in 1. Its pretty easy to learn, the only hard part to get a grip of is the relegation system which to this day I still can't fully explain.

Some leagues have the 2 champions of the season to play a playoff against each other for the super champion, but Mexico doesn't have this. If I'm correct, I think Argentina did before it reverted to that silly 30 team league.

The Atlanta Silverbacks, when they were in the NASL, would have a Spring Champion, and a Fall Champion, and then those two teams would play over two legs to decide the 'Champion'. I was never a big fan of it, but it seems like this is kind of like it.

Actually, Cruz Azul came up and played the Silverbacks one year, and that was quite a sight to see.

• The topic was pinned

League starts in less than a month. With learning Spanish, this should help as I will go to one of the 4,000 Mexican bars near me and watch matches, and try to use the language.

@Teso Dos Bichos is our only known Liga MX supporter,  as he supports América.

• 2 weeks later...

Enner Valencia to Tigres. A few years ago I would have said this is a good move, but Valencia is awful now. Whats the deal with Tigres anyways? They only ever reinforce with forwards. Sosa, Gignac, Vargas. Isn't that enough?

And now Medel linked with Tigres. It won't be long before we start hearing that Ronaldo is linked with them, given how much "vende humos" exist in Mexico.

In seriousness, this is a good move. Medel is a top defender and way too good for the Liga MX. Much better move than Enner Valencia that is.

Starts next weekend. I am really looking forward to it. 

Thinking Monarcas could finish 8th or 7th as they have a nice team built, not enough for a championship but to sneak into the playoffs again for sure. Sosa, Ruidiaz, Polo, Sepulveda, Cuero, Achillier, Valdes. Funny as I used to not rate Achillier at all, but he's won me over last year.

Think Lobos will also do nicely. Aquino and Advincula are great players to have for a club like them.

Veracruz will struggle this year I feel. Tigres on the other hand, I doubt will finish as champions but are favourites as usual. I think Club America or Monterrey have good chances

Honestly, I think Tigres will struggle. Guido Pizarro hasn't been properly replaced and there isn't a great holding midfielder in the team or many others really. They have a lot of attacking quality but defensively they need work.

35 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

League starts today, monarcas vs Monterrey and Xolos vs Cruz Azul

Monterrey to win it and the other game a tie. 

@SirBalon am i wrong for thinking paco jemez is a nutcase and a very poor coach or is it just his mexican team thats poor? 

I followed the start of Paco Jémez's adventure in Mexico but due to the second half of the season in Europe becoming intense I stopped keeping tabs.  I know he had various verbal fights with other coaches especially one and that he done his usual of arguing with players he doesn't think are pulling their weight.

He is a bit of a nutcase xD but I do love the way he doesn't compromise his style of play even though he hasn't learned how to make his teams defend and that has stunted his evolution as a coach.  There was a time where he looked to be the next best thing but unfortunately right now it doesn't look like he's advanced.

I actually like the mental side to the way he is xD

Ruidiaz to get to a scoring start today. In general though I do like Monarcas' chances this season. Sepúlveda will help the forwards which they had in Valdés last year but now they have more creativity. Achillier and Sosa last year helped ensure a solid backline. I think they're really just missing a good CDM, that could be their undoing. I doubt they'll finish as champions but I think they'll make the Liguilla.

I look forward to this. Will watch both matches. Xolos with Bou and Coudet will be an interesting watch this year.

Also I saw Queretaro vs Club America the other day. Had the replay of the match and saw it on the plane. Club America were shocking but Lainez impresses the hell out of me. He's a real talent, hope to see him more this season.

Queretaro's #30 Villa was probably the best of the match. Ran rings around the opposition defense.

Monarcas drew 0-0, superb defensive performance with a mix of Monterrey missing sitters. Vegas and Achillier were superb. Completely unpassable brick walls. Polo was good whenever he got the ball but was invisible most of the match. 

Currently watching Club America vs Queretaro. 0-0 at HT.

Monarcas were a mess last night. Andy Polo was passing it back like he often does instead of driving forward, Cuero's passes were off and Valdes was also terrible. Puebla were making too many mistakes at the back and its a shame Morelia weren't able to take advantage. I think 1-1 was a fair result.

Atlas also beat Pumas. Strong start for them.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived