• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2018/19 Football League > 21st-22nd August

football forum

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stan said:

Those close-range chances you had when you were 2-1 up really should have been put away.

Yeah, good save from the keeper. I thought Watkins should have dragged one back to Sawyers rather than close to Maupay but is what it is. Congested fixture list, I'm happy with a point as realistically I would have predicted that to happen.

Said at the the end of the Forest game, when we should have won by 3+ goals and conceded in the last min due to a refereeing howler, that someone would be spanked by us soon based on our opening 3 performances.

Smashing the bookies favourites for promotion on their own back yard and them going 90 minutes without registering a single shot on target is very impressive, good to see our young defence getting better each game.

Only negative is that we didn't convert more, could easily have been 5-0.

Should really be on 12 points from 12, but we'll take it, 7 points from 4 against 4 of the 4 biggest spenders and 4 of the promotion favourites is a brilliant start. We had the hardest start out of any side in the division.

Loving the power and pace throughout this side, plenty of depth as well, we'll turn a few other sides over this season I reckon.

Should have won the game, thought the midfield pairing should have changed to start.

Tough to take but that's 8 points from our first 4 games, this time last season we had just 1. 6 points was the difference between us and the play offs, 12 points between us and 4th place Villa. It was an eleven game period where we dropped points consistently. I'm happy with our progress so far.

Had last season of started eleven games in (I know it doesn't) we'd have finished 3rd.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

@RandoEFC & @Cannabis's favourite player just been sent off for Stoke :twothumbsup:

HAHA. Saw that he'd been booked and they were 3-0 down earlier. Amazing how poor his discipline has become these days after being such a leader in the past for Wales and Swansea. Sent off in his last Everton appearance at Burnley on top of that fight he got in against Lyon at Goodison which he somehow never got punished for.

Liability in every sense of the word. Martina will prove to be the better acquisition of the two which goes to tell you everything you need to know about Williams.

Robbery. We were dire, only looked half decent when Ameobi came on. What a player he is. 

Such awful tactics that Birmingham dealt with easily. Long ball only works if it lands in the same postcode as the battering ram up top... poor Magennis barely  got a sniff. We gifted them chance after chance, but Alnwick didn't really have a save to make other than one absolute worldy off a long range deflection. 

And yet... We're joint top 😂😂😂 Pinching myself.

*Fun fact: last season, it took us til 4th November to hit 10 points. It's not even September yet, with a net spend of £200,000. Dreamland.

4 hours ago, Stan said:

so? Stoke aren't what they used to be. They've no organisation or discipline about them. too many players on big wages and no cohesion about them.

I am finding that out about Stoke. While I am fully aware this isn’t the old resilient Stoke, I would expect them to have performed better than what they have shown. Poor @Dickie might be in a dog fight this year to remain out of L1

• The topic was unpinned
6 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

That's fucking brilliant xD

Regarding Rovers last night:- Great character to come back from 2-0 down in a game that looked to be a write off, but before the game, I would say this was the type that should have been 3 points before kick off. There are positives there though, it's mainly about converting those draws into more wins now.

We've been far better this season than our points total suggests. In fact last night was our worst performance of the season, but we got our only win from it. Football, hey.

I think we are 3rd in the xg table. I don't believe in it that much but I do believe it's an indicator. Fulham started last season poorly but were also near the top of the xg table and got the results in the end. The god of football Biesla also said today that we've been far better than 4 points suggests.

I really like Pukki. Good to see a cameo from Buendia too. Tettey was the worst player on the pitch, but what a goal. Atmosphere 1/10

27 minutes ago, Danny said:

Maupay banned for 3 games retrospectively, fair enough. Nothing made of Kodjia's stamp and scrape down the back of Konsa's achilles though??

Shouldn’t have been on the pitch the filthy cunt. 

And kodjia was dealt with on the pitch. Also you were by far the poorer team for at least 60-65 mins and took the lead against the run of play in the first half.

3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Shouldn’t have been on the pitch the filthy cunt. 

And kodjia was dealt with on the pitch. Also you were by far the poorer team for at least 60-65 mins and took the lead against the run of play in the first half.

Well ref got it wrong 😂

We were and our subs turned it around but on the run of actual chances it was fairly even

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Well ref got it wrong 😂

We were and our subs turned it around but on the run of actual chances it was fairly even

You finished strongly from 70 mins on, the first half goal was hugely against the run of play and if we’d been more clinical we’d have been out of sight. 

I was surprised by it, I predicted a loss because we’d been so disjointed so far but credit where it’s due that was arguably the best first half I’d seen of Bruce’s Villa. 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

You finished strongly from 70 mins on, the first half goal was hugely against the run of play and if we’d been more clinical we’d have been out of sight. 

I was surprised by it, I predicted a loss because we’d been so disjointed so far but credit where it’s due that was arguably the best first half I’d seen of Bruce’s Villa. 

We started the wrong midfield duo for me, should have at least had Yennaris or Mokotjo on alongside McEachran as you're a fairly physical side.

The goal may have been against the run of play but it was a class goal, we just need to pick things up against Blackburn but will be difficult now Maupay's banned for three games.

I am pleased for Frank Lampard. It would have been somewhat of an injustice if Ipswich Town got something from this game given how negative they set up. Worse than Mick McCarthy this.

Whilst he should never have been appointed in the first place. I think the QPR fans are venting their frustrations in the wrong person at Steve McLaren. The problems at that club extend a lot further than the Manager.

Hopefully that win against Rotherham United will be the confidence boost for Hull City to push on. I think it will be a difficult season for both teams, and wins like this early could be greatly appreciated when there's a couple of games to go.

If anybody was going to stop Bielsa, it was going to be this in form Swansea City team. Given how impressive he's looked for a whole year now, I wouldn't be surprised if clubs start making offers for McBurnie in January.

I was happy Aston Villa got something against Brentford given Neil Maupay got sent off. I imagine both teams will quickly put this game behind them and carry on their good form.

Barry Bannan's goal for Sheffield Wednesday was a realjoy to watch. I cant believe how long it was since he last scored! Whilst it looks grim behind the scenes there's enough talent on paper for Wednesday to have a good season.

Reading need a break. To finally convert their chances and be two goals up after 25 minutes to conceding by two penalties mist feel like another defeat.

Dropping points to Norwich City in the fashion they did is what's likely going to make Preston North End miss out on playoffs again. A shame as I like Alex Neil as a manager.

Seeing Bolton Wanderers win 1 - 0 through unattractive football makes me feel like I have gone in a time warp back to 2007

Stoke City. Jesus. But fair play to Wigan for their start.

• The title was changed to 2018/19 Football League > 21st-22nd August

Archived