talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

Where to start.

The match...my ability to analyse it as it was happening was seriously depleted by the fact that my arse was falling out of itself. But we started brightly and got a goal early on, Toney's finish was magnificent. He does not care, ice in his veins, this man was made for that occasion. I do feel sorry for some Swansea fans, to lose in a play-off final is a horrible feeling, to get a red card on top of that, your day just gets worse. But on a side note, Swansea fans really jumped on the Leeds bandwagon last season and spent much of this season calling us the new bottlers, jumping on a really weird dislike of Thomas Frank etc, so it was pleasing to see their team completely fade out of the game from the first whistle.

Very proud of Thomas Frank and the team this season, specifically Thomas Frank. Last season was his first full season in charge of us, he received a bit of stick from West Brom (lol) and Leeds fans for how he spoke in the media but those who are aware of how direct Danish people can be will know that there was never really any intention to play mind-games, to us they are direct and to them we are too sensitive. But he adjusted this season to how English fans and media react to comments and really hasn't given anyone cause to beat us, before getting the team to win again he had personal work to do to succeed in this job and he done that. Then he took a team that lost a play-off final and two of it's best players back out, rejuvenated us and had us competing for the automatics at one point. Yes there was a period in the season where a lot of fans criticised him and whilst a certain section of the fanbase went a bit far in general the criticism was fair, went from fully competing for the automatics to completely falling off a cliff and our performances for a solid month or two were consistently underwhelming. Frank is a system manager, not necessarily someone who changes tactics massively in game, he trusted the system for a bit too long when we were without Henry and Dasilva but once he changed it up we looked so much better and the system improved. Since then we went on an unbeaten, knocked the air out of Bournemouth in the regular season and then smashed them at home in the play-offs. The rest is history. Overall he took this team to a 21 match unbeaten run and completely made a mockery of Bournemouth and Swansea. A good season from Frank that ended phenomenally. 

What I will say is that this has been the toughest season for any side to ever play in the Championship, it has been relentless and there has really been no time for rest or training. Just recovery and light tactical work. As Steve Cooper said any side who have gone up this season, of all seasons, deserve to, a nice comment from him unlike the sour grapes at the Vitality Stadium xD.

An unsung hero for Brentford is the late Robert Rowan, Robert completely lead the revolution of our model and B Team and unfortunately died young. This season we have seen performances from Mads Roerslev, Mads Bech Sorenson and Marcus Forss that have all made a massive impact on this team, Forss has a brilliant goals per minute record and of course scored the winner against Bournemouth in the play-off semi final second leg, Roerslev has had to deputise whilst Dalsgaard has spent the last month or two of the season injured and very importantly Mads Bech Sorensen has spent most of the season covering for Pontus Jansson's injury whilst Charlie Goode was also out injured. These lads are young and not the finished article, but have stepped up massively and allowed the shape of the team to carry on as normal. There is a board at our training ground that is dedicated to Robert Rowan and it has the name of every B Team player that has played for the first team.

You may have seen an older gent lifting the trophy with the team on Saturday and that is Peter Gilham aka Mr. Brentford. A lifelong fan who works for the club, he is the matchday stadium announcer but more importantly delivers the history of the club to our players, gees them up for derby matches against the likes of QPR and Fulham and is completely embedded in the club as a whole. If you attend one of our games or watch them on the tele next season, he will be voice that roars Brentford just before kick-off.

I genuinely don't know what else to write, not even sure it's properly sunk in yet, guess that will happen the first game I attend, but I started supporting this club 10 years ago this season. I've not gone through the lifelong pain most Brentford fans have, I'd had 2 play off final defeats not 9, but I loved this club as a little old League 1 side in a half filled Griffin Park. It is a shame I won't get those days back, turning up to the ground 5 minutes before kick off and buying a ticket, pretending to be 16 when I was 20/21/22/23, as they are more than anything what Brentford was all about...but new days are coming in a new stadium within a new league, and this club and it's fans deserve Premier League football. Can't fucking wait.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I just hope Ghoddos does more in the league than Jahanbakhsh has done so far (because that's been a bit disappointing). But very cool to have 2 Iranians in the league now.

Probably best not to expect a lot from him this season lol, but great for him that he’s now going to be having a second season at the same club. Should help him improve 

10 minutes ago, Danny said:

Probably best not to expect a lot from him this season lol, but great for him that he’s now going to be having a second season at the same club. Should help him improve 

I expect at least 2 Balon d'Ors in one season, and anything less will be immeasurably disappointing xD

Yeah, he's not really had much stability in his career tbh... so two years at one club is big for him. He's a very talented, but still very far from perfect player - so expecting him to be a key player for Brentford is probably unreasonable. But this is a big moment for him in his career, hope he seizes the opportunity. I don't think he's the best Iranian player around - but I think he's got the potential to be the star of the Iran national team.

If he can build on last season, which is a HUGE ask I realise - because he's been promoted a division, it'll be massive for him. And for Team Melli. And probably Brentford as well!

• Subscriber

Be interested to see if you take the Norwich approach of basically banking the money or if you try and spend a bit more and stay up. I mean I'm all for being prudent with money but Norwich really did take it too far.

45 minutes ago, Dan said:

Be interested to see if you take the Norwich approach of basically banking the money or if you try and spend a bit more and stay up. I mean I'm all for being prudent with money but Norwich really did take it too far.

We will be somewhere in between I think, can’t see us spending £100m as Fulham and Villa did, those teams needed entire first eleven revamps. For us I think we need to look at bringing in 2-3 first team players and maybe 1-2 squad players, but we won’t move away from our model of signing young players with potential for big sell on value.

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Danny said:

We will be somewhere in between I think, can’t see us spending £100m as Fulham and Villa did, those teams needed entire first eleven revamps. For us I think we need to look at bringing in 2-3 first team players and maybe 1-2 squad players, but we won’t move away from our model of signing young players with potential for big sell on value.

Yeah absolutely don't take the Fulham route. Fulham and Norwich's approaches generally saw them do the same thing anyway xD though Norwich may be a bit different this time around. I'm completely behind your model, I just wonder who specifically comes in, and will you actually make any significant sale this time around.

I think Brentford will look to the foreign market and whatever cream is left of the Championship. It's what they know best really and I don't think they need to change that game plan. They used to pick out the League One talent but I think they have the pull to aim higher at the Championship starlets now.

Michael Olise, Arnaut Danjuma and possibly Adam Armstrong would be good players for them to target that I could see fitting in their system.

I actually wouldn't mind us going for Olise to be fair. He's looked a decent prospect.

Could do a lot worse than look at possibly Sam Johnstone as a keeper too although not sure what West Brom would ask for him. I am definitely not convinced by Raya at all, bloke is a liability.

Edited by Lucas

• Administrator
55 minutes ago, Danny said:

23 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yeah absolutely don't take the Fulham route. Fulham and Norwich's approaches generally saw them do the same thing anyway xD though Norwich may be a bit different this time around. I'm completely behind your model, I just wonder who specifically comes in, and will you actually make any significant sale this time around.

@Danny would you say you have enough leaders in your team? Often think this is key to survival for a promoted team - sometimes clubs buy players to fit the system but when it gets to the tough points of the season where you really have to grind a result out, they're missing that leadership or basically someone to give other players a kick up the arse when they're not giving enough; or someone to just get you over the line in a game or as part of the whole season. Fulham showed they lacked it a lot this season. 

Do you also think you'd be able to keep Toney now that you have got promoted?

19 hours ago, Dan said:

It goes back to how we shape up, full strength last season we played a 4-3-3....to cover for injuries we ended the season in a 5-2-1-2. Assuming everyone is fit I think we will play a 4-3-3 which would look like this roughly:

Fosu - Toney - Mbeumo

Jensen - Norgaard - Dasilva

Henry - Pinnock - Jansson - Dalsgaard

Raya

Players whos contracts expire this season:

Emiliano Marcondes

Henrik Dalsgaard

Winston Reid

Luke Daniels

For me the backline and goalkeeper will largely be untouchable, I would like Winston Reid on a perm and I want us to re-sign Dalsgaard, think there's a slight family issue but we need him. He's calm, experienced, a leader and makes good cover at centre back and can attack really well down the right.

Norgaard is a certain starter as is Josh Dasilva, Mathias Jensen has the ability to force himself to be a starter next season but consistency is his problem. Then we have Vitaly Janelt who is fully able to start for us but not ahead of Dasilva or Norgaard. Jensen plays a pivotal role for us as he's very neat and tidy in possession, dictates the play and spreads the ball around the pitch. He also leads a lot of our midfield's pressing, so on his day is a great asset. Janelt will see plenty of game time though I imagine, from then on we are likely to lose Marcondes in the Summer which leaves Ghoddos who plays centre mid for us. After that we have Mads Bidstrup who was signed from RB Leipzig with a lot of promise, but after injuries last season he's only made sub appearances towards the end.

I think it would be wise for us to sign 2 centre mids, one more as cover and another to try and provide attacking competition.

Toney is certain to start obviously, I think we will stick with Mbeumo to an extent but I do think we need at least 2 forwards, 1 a solid goal scorer and the other maybe more for rotation. We have a lot of forwards to rotate in Fosu, Ghoddos, Canos and Forss but ideally think we need to have 2 players either side of Toney who we'll be confident in performing at this level, I don't have the same confidence in that group of players having seen their numbers for last year and I don't want us to rely on Mbeumo as it'll end up denting his confidence.

@Lucas you'd think that but with Brexit we may have to look closer to home or attempt to set something up in South America, I wouldn't say no to Armstrong, Olise or Ejaria though. Otherwise I'd be open to signing David Brooks, Arnaut Danjuma and Asmir Begolol. Probably take Mepham back as backup mind, he'd get more defensively out of Frank than he would Howe imo. Starting to feel like a game of football manager now and I'm sure I won't know the players we actually sign anyway.

@Stan Norgaard, Jansson and Dalsgaard are big leader, hopefully we keep Dalsgaard. Toney is a giant amongst men too.

Edited by Danny

• Subscriber

I remember going to a couple of Bochum games thinking there's nobody in this team that's going anywhere, so surprised to see how well Janelt has ended up doing.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

I remember going to a couple of Bochum games thinking there's nobody in this team that's going anywhere, so surprised to see how well Janelt has ended up doing.

He sort of highlights my other topic about athleticism being a big step up, he was miles ahead of most players in this division when it came to his natural fitness and strength. The kid is built from titanium, still fairly light and quick on his feet yet clatters players. And for what looks like a slightly stiffer midfielder he's quite quick with his feet, couple tricks on his pocket to take the ball away from someone and then you add to that his passing range and his ability to shoot from distance. He really is a full package midfielder, but on top of that he is more of a box to box midfielders yet fairly comfortably covered for Christian Norgaard for most of the season as a defensive midfielder.

Henrik Dalsgaard has left for FC Midtjylland, believe he's been away from his family for too long and wants to return back to Denmark. Big shame he won't get to play in the Premier League with us, the DoF's have a job to do to replace him as I don't think Mads Roerslev is ready yet. Hopefully Midtjylland can quality for the Champions League.

Separately to that we have just promoted Mads Bidstrup who we signed from RB Leipzig last season from the B Team to the first team, he looked really tidy on the ball in the games he played last season so look forward to seeing him push on for a starting position next season.

37 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Congrats on the Promotion @Danny boyyyyy! :coffee: :congrats:Very exciting team to watch last season, wish you well in the Premier League.

Cheers mate, though it's happened to us plenty of times you should be safe in the knowledge we probably won't put a bid in for Armstrong xD

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Cheers mate, though it's happened to us plenty of times you should be safe in the knowledge we probably won't put a bid in for Armstrong xD

You still had the 2nd best striker in the Championship, so i think you will make do with him. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

According to the athletic and daily mail we have:

Had a £13m bid rejected for Kristoffer Ajer, would be a very Brentford signing.

Are in for Glen Kamara.

Also interested in Harry Wilson.

And then aside from that Frank Onyeka is still due to sign for us.

Edited by Danny