talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

On 16/12/2018 at 12:52, Smiley Culture said:

That Frank is going on Monday. You’ve heard it here first. He’s a cabbage like that Dutch fella was. 

Brilliant  :hh:

6 points off the play offs, a game in hand too. I still think the gap is probably too much as we have to play Sheffield United, West Brom, Swansea, Leeds and Preston. But what a turn around this has been, I didn't think we'd be this close to the play offs. Maupay and Benrahma have been an unstoppable force, Mokotjo controlling the midfield week in, week out. Sawyers an absolute gem pulling all the strings.

Frank has got us playing with a back 3 and it's working. Completely turned our fortunes around.

Overall I think our squad is stretched far too thin for us be in with a shout, we're overly reliant on B Team players on the bench. But it's also football, and there's a very small chance that we can find some consistency as we see the season out to be within a shout on the final day. 

New season new Brentfjord. With 9 Nordic players and an expected 5-6 in the first eleven at any one time, alongside our Danish coach Thomas Frank FC Brentfjord are alive and kicking.

This has been an up and down transfer window, we’ve made some good additions like Pontus Jansson and Pinnock who should give our defence some extra steel and experience it normally lacks. Christian Nørgaard who hopefully will will be able to help control the midfield with Mokotjo (relying on Mokotjo alone last season wasn’t  enough) and the signing of Mathias Jensen will hopefully replace Romaine Sawyers who’s just left for West Brom.

But we’re due to lose one of Maupay and Benrahma (most likely Maupay), maybe even both. Ollie Watkins is linked with Palace (@The Palace Fan), I think we could get over losing Watkins and I’d back our board to find a replacement for Maupay but I think we’re shooting ourselves in the foot of we let Maupay and Benrahma go, Benrahma has an extra year on his contract and I don’t think we can push for promotion if we lose 2/2 of our biggest goal threats from last season

You have to admire Brentfords scouting policy. Take Ezri Konsa for example, picked up after a good season with Chatlton, hes had one good season with Brentford and they've made a big profit on him. What do they now do? Sign Ethan Pinnock from Barnsley, a player whose very similar to Konsa but had a better season at league one level. They've done something similar with Bentley and Raya too. 

I had them down for promotion last season under Dean Smith, obviously I didnt anticipate the manager would be off. I'm not sold on automatic promotion just because I'm not fully convinced by the manager, but the playoffs isnt an unrealistic ambition at the moment.

@Danny The rumour on Ollie Watkins has gone a little cold but Dougie Freedman has been a massive fan since he was at Exeter. Unfortunately with our current position, I dont think were in a position to invest on developing talent because our owners want to sell up. Which is frustrating as we have seen a wealth of talent emerge that would really buy in to our club ethos (Watkins, Eze, Maja etc).

@The Palace Fan it was unfortunate that we lost Smith as at the time we were going through a dry spell but I think had he of stayed he’d have got us into the play-offs. Then Thomas Frank took over and we had to deal with that which took us longer than it would have had we not of lost Smith. On top of that Robert Rowan suddenly passed away throughout the season and he’s had a very big impact on the club that will be sorely missed.

Rumour from a trusted ITK on our forum that you’re looking at cash + Sorloth(sp?) deal for Watkins

1 hour ago, Danny said:

@The Palace Fan it was unfortunate that we lost Smith as at the time we were going through a dry spell but I think had he of stayed he’d have got us into the play-offs. Then Thomas Frank took over and we had to deal with that which took us longer than it would have had we not of lost Smith. On top of that Robert Rowan suddenly passed away throughout the season and he’s had a very big impact on the club that will be sorely missed.

Rumour from a trusted ITK on our forum that you’re looking at cash + Sorloth(sp?) deal for Watkins

Just seen that rumour doing the rounds and I'd take that from a Palace perspective. Roy clearly doesn't rate Sorloth, and his confidence has been shot to pieces because of it to the point where I dont see him ever succeeding here.

I'm not really sure how he would do at Brentford, from what people have said the blew hot and cold on loan at Genk.

14 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Just seen that rumour doing the rounds and I'd take that from a Palace perspective. Roy clearly doesn't rate Sorloth, and his confidence has been shot to pieces because of it to the point where I dont see him ever succeeding here.

I'm not really sure how he would do at Brentford, from what people have said the blew hot and cold on loan at Genk.

He done well in the Superliga so there’s obviously some talent there, I don’t know about Genk but Palace aren’t really the sort of side that will be peppering him with chances to score left, right and centre. If our DoF’s fancy him then financially it couldn’t be a good deal, one season of 15-20 goals in the Championship and he’s worth £20m.

Him dropping a division and joining an attacking, free flowing side that has a high level of chance creation might be the catalyst he needs.

Really I’ve no idea about him but his record in the Superliga looks encouraging

5 hours ago, Danny said:

He done well in the Superliga so there’s obviously some talent there, I don’t know about Genk but Palace aren’t really the sort of side that will be peppering him with chances to score left, right and centre. If our DoF’s fancy him then financially it couldn’t be a good deal, one season of 15-20 goals in the Championship and he’s worth £20m.

Him dropping a division and joining an attacking, free flowing side that has a high level of chance creation might be the catalyst he needs.

Really I’ve no idea about him but his record in the Superliga looks encouraging

Theres a player in him. The player that joined us in January 2017 was ten times the player we saw in December 2017. It must have been utterly demoralising for him not to get picked when he was our only fit forward. I do wonder if he was the victim of a political power struggle between Roy and Dougie as Roy continually picked him out.

Hopefully it will be one step backwards to move two step forwards as he genuinely seems like a really nice bloke.

• Subscriber

I like Brentford's model but every now and then you've got to say just don't sell as many players this summer - surely now just keep Maupay & Benrahma for this year. I'd have thought given you signed Jansson which isn't really the type you'd profit on that you were really going for promotion this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Konsa out for £12m, Maupay out for £20m and Benrahma still (happily) at the club.

Mbuemo in, Valencia in and Thompson in on top of our transfers already. We’re a bit light for natural centre forwards, but we’ve got a lot of cover in Watkins, Forss, Marcondes and Mbuemo.

It seems as if Benrahma is happy to stay with us and not go abroad so I’m happy with how our window has turned out. No idea how our starting eleven will look, a lot of competition 

• 5 months later...

Happy to see Frank has signed an extension, he has been a brilliant head coach for us and hopefully will take us to the Premier League. It was a slow start when he took over but he was taking over through the midst of a damp spell after losing Smith to Villa, we finished strongly last season and it didn't take long for him to get the new players in the Summer bedded into the side.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/07/2019 at 12:40, Danny said:

Turns out that Matthew Benham's Xg philosophy with Sorloth is absolutely spot on. Not remotely surprised. He was twice the player against Chelsea and Spurs than he was a year a later against Grimsby. 

Apparently Genk have a six million buy clause and Monaco have a fifthteen million offer on the table. Sorloth was asked about Crystal Palace and he said "I don't care what Roy Hodsgon thinks of me". Speaks volumes really.

12 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Turns out that Matthew Benham's Xg philosophy with Sorloth is absolutely spot on. Not remotely surprised. He was twice the player against Chelsea and Spurs than he was a year a later against Grimsby. 

Apparently Genk have a six million buy clause and Monaco have a fifthteen million offer on the table. Sorloth was asked about Crystal Palace and he said "I don't care what Roy Hodsgon thinks of me". Speaks volumes really.

Of course Matthew Benham was right :coffee: Bit late for us to sign him mind

7 hours ago, Dan said:

Feel like that was a big win for you earlier. Had a horrible feeling you were going to chuck it away and lose.

Yeah I didn’t watch but heard it wasn’t our best performance, but the result is what matters when you’re not playing well. Similar to the game at Hull, we didn’t really come out of 3rd gear.

31 minutes ago, Dan said:

What was all that about Sorloth?

He was linked to Brentford. We tried to work something out with Ollie Watkins and him but Brentford rejected our advances.

We ended up sending him to Trabszonspor on loan with a buy clause around €6 million. Hes being linked with clubs now for €15 million so Trabszonspor are likely to buy him and sell him on for a profit immediately. The biggest kick in the teeth is we paid £12 million for him.

On a side note. I didnt recognise that Brentford got Baptiste and Fosu- Henry from Oxford.

Fosu-Henry is an interesting case. Never really understood why Charlton didnt keep him. Something must have gone on there as he always looked like one of their better players in the highlight shows.

Baptiste looks like he could be some player. Hes got a battle on his hands to become a first team regular but once he emerges I reckon he could be a future PL regular. One day we will build to the future with players like this.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

That is just a day in the life of Said mate, there's not a footballer in this division that can clean his boots let alone lace them. We're lucky to have him because he should be playing Premier League football.

Should come to us in summer. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Should come to us in summer. 

If we're still down here then I can only hope he goes to a club like yourself as that's where he'll thrive, needs to be playing slick passing football. None of your Sheffield United's or Burnley's, as good and effective as they are at what they do (and Sheff Utd definitely play a better brand of football even if it's still a direct game) to get the best out of him it'd be someone like you, Villa or Brighton. Watford are too hoofball, Bournemouth are too pace based and not pass based, West Ham are shite and Newcastle will fall to shit soon enough.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Danny said:

If we're still down here then I can only hope he goes to a club like yourself as that's where he'll thrive, needs to be playing slick passing football. None of your Sheffield United's or Burnley's, as good and effective as they are at what they do (and Sheff Utd definitely play a better brand of football even if it's still a direct game) to get the best out of him it'd be someone like you, Villa or Brighton. Watford are too hoofball, Bournemouth are too pace based and not pass based, West Ham are shite and Newcastle will fall to shit soon enough.

Just clocked if Grealish goes for big money it could fund a move for Villa to sign him if they stay up. Was Smith there when Benrahma was? 

Hope not. 

Just now, Stan said:

Just clocked if Grealish goes for big money it could fund a move for Villa to sign him if they stay up. Was Smith there when Benrahma was? 

Hope not. 

Yeah Smith was when he came in, it was the season he left us for Villa.

Tbh I don't think Villa are selling Grealish, they're going to build a team around him and I think they might sack Smith at the end of the season to go for someone better and more experienced at pushing them up the table. If Smith does stay then Benrahma could go there, but Maupay is at Brighton and they combine really well so that would be a good option for him.

• Subscriber

I am terrified of comparing anybody to Mahrez again after I feel like in Ghezzal we signed what looked like the nearest thing to him in everything bar ability xD but this bloke really does take the piss in a way that I can only remember Mahrez, Taarabt etc... doing at that level. I'd welcome him here. A genuine flair that you can channel into more.

• The title was changed to FC Brentfjord - Messed up Automatic Promotion, Play-off Failure Here We Come!