talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

On 31/07/2020 at 20:26, Redcanuck said:

Just saw the odds on the final. Surprised Brentford are around even money and Fulham is close to 3 to 1?  I thought the two were pretty even.   I guess it's because Brentford beat them home and away and Fulham are carrying a couple of injuries.

On paper, both teams at their best, we’re the better side. Our track record against Fulham shows that.

But that means fuck all on Tuesday

So next season will be interesting, will have to see how the transfer window goes before getting an understanding of where we'll be.

Players I expect we may see a bid for are:

Benrahma - Should have got his move to the Prem with Neal last season, so no surprise he'll be gone.

Watkins - How do you keep hold of a player that good? I hope we do, new contract, more money, whatever it takes. Keep him, but I think he'll be off.

Henry - Simply the best left back in the league, has it all, shuts out speedy wingers, gets up the pitch, can cross it, can dribble, can pass in tight spaces, can beat big players for aerial duels. Hope he stays but I don't see it happening.

Otherwise I expect most of the first eleven to stay, Mbeumo included. If we keep Raya and most of that back line then we're already on great footing for next season. See no reason to sell Norgaard, Jensen, Dasilva or Emiliano. Canos will stay, Fosu will be looking to secure first team football.

The thing with Brentford is you never know who we're scouting, but we have been linked with a move for Folarin Balogun, other than that...I've no idea.

For the sale of Benrahma and Watkins I think we should be pushing for the most, let's not let teams bully us with corona as a reason when United are struggling to secure a pandemic shaped discount on Sancho. A lot of money in the Premier League, make them pay. Hopefully we're looking at £45m-50m for the pair if they go.

11 hours ago, Danny said:

So next season will be interesting, will have to see how the transfer window goes before getting an understanding of where we'll be.

Players I expect we may see a bid for are:

Benrahma - Should have got his move to the Prem with Neal last season, so no surprise he'll be gone.

Watkins - How do you keep hold of a player that good? I hope we do, new contract, more money, whatever it takes. Keep him, but I think he'll be off.

Henry - Simply the best left back in the league, has it all, shuts out speedy wingers, gets up the pitch, can cross it, can dribble, can pass in tight spaces, can beat big players for aerial duels. Hope he stays but I don't see it happening.

Otherwise I expect most of the first eleven to stay, Mbeumo included. If we keep Raya and most of that back line then we're already on great footing for next season. See no reason to sell Norgaard, Jensen, Dasilva or Emiliano. Canos will stay, Fosu will be looking to secure first team football.

The thing with Brentford is you never know who we're scouting, but we have been linked with a move for Folarin Balogun, other than that...I've no idea.

For the sale of Benrahma and Watkins I think we should be pushing for the most, let's not let teams bully us with corona as a reason when United are struggling to secure a pandemic shaped discount on Sancho. A lot of money in the Premier League, make them pay. Hopefully we're looking at £45m-50m for the pair if they go.

Wonder if Pontus will stay?

He must be feeling particularly aggrieved at the moment that we sold him given how it's turned out and that's another year without PL Football.

He deserves a chance to be fair, I just don't know if he's got it in him to wait another season.

32 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Wonder if Pontus will stay?

He must be feeling particularly aggrieved at the moment that we sold him given how it's turned out and that's another year without PL Football.

He deserves a chance to be fair, I just don't know if he's got it in him to wait another season.

Yeah interesting point, if a Prem team comes in for him then you can’t really say no. He’d be a fool to leave us for another side in the Championship though. He’s just recorded his best defensive record with us, knowing how good our defence is he’d be mad to leave for another side in this division. But if a lower Prem side wants a bit more solidity then he’s their man

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Yeah interesting point, if a Prem team comes in for him then you can’t really say no. He’d be a fool to leave us for another side in the Championship though. He’s just recorded his best defensive record with us, knowing how good our defence is he’d be mad to leave for another side in this division. But if a lower Prem side wants a bit more solidity then he’s their man

I don't think there is another side in the Championship that he's really any better moving to? The three that came down are all smaller clubs, they may be financially better off to go back up but Brentford are a more settled team. I would stick with you if it was me unless say Fulham came in or maybe someone like Villa say. I think he'd go then.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I don't think there is another side in the Championship that he's really any better moving to? The three that came down are all smaller clubs, they may be financially better off to go back up but Brentford are a more settled team. I would stick with you if it was me unless say Fulham came in or maybe someone like Villa say. I think he'd go then.

Yeah, but even then if you’re Villa wouldn’t you want to strengthen with proven quality? Same as Fulham imo

The Brentford team must be quite distraught right now. After having the great season that they had, they have come away with nothing. There is nothing worse for a Championship side than losing a play-off final I would imagine. I expect several of their better players will leave the club over the summer.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Ignore the tweet but reading the picture of the article, Thomas Frank is very confident we’ll have a strong tram next season. Glad to hear

Does that actually tell you anything though? Brentford will have a strong team because they (and presumably Frank) believe in what they’re doing and the model they’re implementing and whatever happens, they’re confident in their recruitment strategy and believe they’ll have a strong team, whether that’s Benhrama being sold for £20m and signing some unknown Danish striker for £2.1m as a replacement or Benhrama staying. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Second season running I've been incredibly unlucky with my pre-season bet. Had Leicester to win the league without the big six, and Brentford to go up, for £660. They blow it three times.

Last year I had Liverpool & Man City to get 90 goals for £400, Man City got 109, Liverpool got 89 xD

• 2 weeks later...

@Danny

Sounds like you had a bid accepted by Peterborough for Ivan Toney and he has turned you down? Very well publicised it's been Brentford.

Very strange. We're talking about a League One player here. He obviously thinks he can do much better and I can only imagine that means Premier League football.

Maybe you've had a lucky escape.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

@Danny

Sounds like you had a bid accepted by Peterborough for Ivan Toney and he has turned you down? Very well publicised it's been Brentford.

Very strange. We're talking about a League One player here. He obviously thinks he can do much better and I can only imagine that means Premier League football.

Maybe you've had a lucky escape.

Strange one that, there’s not many better clubs to act as a stepping stone to the Premier League than us. Unless he wants  stupid wages straight away, I don’t know

Edit: Someone whos a bit ITK on our forum reckons its cos Celtic are interested but they’ve not met his valuation yet

Edited by Danny

• Administrator

Big fee for a League One player. Peterborough have rejected loads of offers in the past so I'm guessing they've got some sell on fee included for sure. Will be decent for you I think with the amount of chances you guys create and style of play. Only 24 as well. 

So he turned down Brentford but couldn't get the move he really wanted and his agent has gone crawling back? xD I wonder if that was linked to Celtic getting knocked out the Champions League?

Surprised Brentford went through with it still if he mugged them off previously but there is no doubt he is a talent. The jump from League One to Championship is not enough IMO for him to be worried about not scoring. He should still bag in numbers.

Brentford are quite savvy so I don't think they would have been prepared to let Watkins go without a replacement. Should set off a bit of a chain reaction now I'd have thought.

Edited by Lucas

So we've signed Toney and have basically said only Watkins and Benrahma will go if our valuation is met...that's me happy for next season. If we managed to keep one of Said or Ollie I think I would shit myself out of pure excitement

Villa fans going mental over our asking price, well, some Villa fans. Gotta love that blind entitlement that can sweep sections of any fanbase when they feel they're being mugged off xD