talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sheffield United first game of the season, I'm sure they'll be looking towards big things this season so it'll be a good test for us. We've got so many options up front now, there's going to be a lot of goals.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Batard said:

Feels like Neal has been around forever. He's all settled in then @Danny?

It's his second goal for us so it's not taken him long, believe it or not he came on as a sub and that was his first touch of the game.

Edited by Danny

Difficult deadline day, completely expected to see Jota go (though I was defo hoping he'd stay) and expected to see Dean go too. Not too bothered about Colin, good player but we've replaced him already. Overall now we have a strong team that most importantly are held to lengthy contracts. Jota filled the hole that Hogan left but we had no power there, if Maupay carries on that form then we have a long term plan.

We have one experienced centre back and two centre backs that you could say are in the same position Harlee Dean was 1 or 2 years ago. If they can make the same improvements throughout this season then we should have three centre backs in and around his quality, as well as Mepham. I do think we could have done with bringing in a decent centre back, I guess wages are a constraint and you have to ask who could we buy that would be a significant improvement on what we already have? Not many.

Overall I think our team is improved from last season, defensively I think we're much the same but we just have some more height in defence with Dalsgaard. Last season we were very reliant on Scott Hogan, but since January and this Summer we've now added Ollie Watkins, Neal Maupay, Sergi Canos, Jozefzoon and still have Vibe, Clarke and some B Team players knocking on the door now.

I'm looking forward to seeing the team gel now the windows closed, we've been playing some good football so far this season and outside of the final result we've been matching our outplaying whoever we've played. I'm optimistic and relieved that the next time someone wants to buy a key player off of us, they won't be in the last year of their contract.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

We're still on for it, who woulda thought it. So difficult as even one loss or draw from our next two games could see us drop. So proud of the team right now, we had a difficult start that saw us struggle to get the right results but we've managed to slowly turn that around. There's  so much belief at the club, the attitude of the players is top knotch and that's an example of smart recruitment.

If we don't make the play offs then we've still had a great crack at it and come closer than @Toony thought :coffee: So much potential for next season but two games to go, come on you Bees!

Given how the first two months of the season went, Brentford have done fantastic to be in this position at this stage of the season. I feel they've benefitted by going under the radar as the press have focused on Bristol City, Sheffield United and Millwall at stages of the season and i'ts allowed to Brentford to go about their business quietly.

An interesting summer ahead if they don't make the playoffs. I imagine the relegated teams will be looking at Ryan Woods. That said, there scouting system deserves a ton of credit when you consider how they've replaced those that have moved on over the previous three seasons.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 23:28, Lucas said:

Storts dangling that bait out big time for Danny to chomp on but even Stevie Wonder would see that one coming.

You could never write them off. They play good football and are more than capable of finishing in the playoffs as they have done once before. Granted, they wouldn't be amongst my favourites but equally, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

I will settle for that comment. Literally scrolled back through the comments praying I hadn't made a twat of myself. 

In the clear.

On 23/04/2018 at 00:12, The Palace Fan said:

Given how the first two months of the season went, Brentford have done fantastic to be in this position at this stage of the season. I feel they've benefitted by going under the radar as the press have focused on Bristol City, Sheffield United and Millwall at stages of the season and i'ts allowed to Brentford to go about their business quietly.

An interesting summer ahead if they don't make the playoffs. I imagine the relegated teams will be looking at Ryan Woods. That said, there scouting system deserves a ton of credit when you consider how they've replaced those that have moved on over the previous three seasons.

TBH mate the only major press we've had has been about not being able to hold onto a lead and that happened at the QPR game which was actually quite a while after we gave up so many leads. People generally expect us to get relegated more than anything.

Though you are spot on about our recruitment process and if we lose Woods it will be a blow but also I expect us to replace him (and sell for big money too). I think we'll lose Woods and Mepham (walks this division and he's not even played a full season yet) to Premier League clubs, Mepham definitely. The one I really hope we keep is Romaine Sawyers, he is just too good. Florian Jozefzoon will have a year on his contract and has been one of our better players, so he's another I'd like to see stay. I think we could be making in the £15m-£25m bracket per player this Summer, Mepham I think will go for £20m at least.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I will settle for that comment. Literally scrolled back through the comments praying I hadn't made a twat of myself. 

In the clear.

Ha lucky bastard.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

TBH mate the only major press we've had has been about not being able to hold onto a lead and that happened at the QPR game which was actually quite a while after we gave up so many leads. People generally expect us to get relegated more than anything.

Though you are spot on about our recruitment process and if we lose Woods it will be a blow but also I expect us to replace him (and sell for big money too). I think we'll lose Woods and Mepham (walks this division and he's not even played a full season yet) to Premier League clubs, Mepham definitely. The one I really hope we keep is Romaine Sawyers, he is just too good. Florian Jozefzoon will have a year on his contract and has been one of our better players, so he's another I'd like to see stay. I think we could be making in the £15m-£25m bracket per player this Summer, Mepham I think will go for £20m at least.

Ha lucky bastard.

I can't believe Romaine Sawyers is only 26. It seems like he's been around forever.

I think you may be able to keep Mepham given his age and lack of first team experience. It's only going to be beneficial for you in the long term as his value will go up season upon season.

1 hour ago, The Palace Fan said:

I can't believe Romaine Sawyers is only 26. It seems like he's been around forever.

I think you may be able to keep Mepham given his age and lack of first team experience. It's only going to be beneficial for you in the long term as his value will go up season upon season.

Yeah I think the price tag may put people off seeing as he's not played a full season, Bournemouth already rejected for example and didn't go higher. I do hope that's the case as I think he's class and will help solidify our defence more.

Its mad really because the first two months really hurt us, say we picked up an extra 8-10 points then we'd be comfortably in the play offs. If we can find that consistency next season then we'll be outside contenders for automatics I think (if we don't go up this season).

New season same old shit...but it's good to have football back and good to have Brentford back.

I've not been this excited for a season since we went up...obviously last season looked like it could have been a good one for us at the beginning when we still had Jota in the side, but he left, so did Colin and Dean. We struggled to adapt but once we did we performed comfortably like a play-off team for the rest of the season, just couldn't make up on the lost ground from the beginning.

Transfers In:

Ezri Konsa - £2.57m

Julian Jeanvier - £1.80m

Said Benrahma - £2.60m

Marcus Forss - Promoted from B Team

Transfers Out:

John Egan - £4m

Florian Jozefzoon - £2.79m-£3m

Konstantin Kerschbaumer - £900k

Andrea Bjelland - Free

Ilias Chatzitheodoridis - Free

Maupay/Watkins/Forss

Watkins/Benrahma - Sawyers/Marcondes - Canos/Ogbene/Judge

McEachran/Yennaris - Mokotjo/Macleod

Henry/Barbet - Jeanvier/Konsa - Mepham/Sorensen - Dalsgard/Clarke

Bentley/Daniels

This team is probably one of the most complete teams we've ever had, considering most of our shelf life has been League 1 and League 2....it's probably a stronger squad than what got us to the play-offs. We lost two centre backs, Bjelland to a free and Egan for a cushty fee...have brought in an England youth international in Konsa and supposedly experienced and "highly rated" defender in Jeanvier. We are expected to have to put up a fight to keep Chris Mepham with Leicester and Bournemouth both interested, but even if we lose him that brings us down to 4 centre backs so I think we're prepared.

I've not included Woods into the above because he's definitely expected to leave, but he'd generally be a first team who'd rotate on busy weeks with Nico, Kamo and McEachran. Expect to see Macleod in a more advanced position throughout the season. If there was a season to put money on us it'll be this season, we're buying well now and selling even better. Egan for £4m, Woods for £7m and Watkins and Mepham if they do go to go for £15m a piece.

We're don't have any proven, get out of this division 20+ goal forwards. But Maupay, Watkins, Marcondes, and Sawyers are all coming off of the back of promising seasons with more development in them and then the likes of Canos, Judge and Benrahma all seem to have the talent, just need to find the consistency. I'm not sure automatics will be on the cards for us this season as I think we'll end up in the play offs, but I think we'll go through periods where everything clicks and we blow whoever is infront of us away.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

You are my surprise pick this season @Danny :banana:

Just like you were two seasons ago 👀

To be honest mate I think we're beyond a surprise pick now, I doubt there will be many teams in this division that will clearly be better than us head to head and are chasing promotion and if they are, they'll probably make the automatics.

• The title was changed to FC Brentfjord - Messed up Automatic Promotion, Play-off Failure Here We Come!