talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FC Brentfjord - Official Premier League Topic

7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Odubajo was made because we had a release clause in his contract but you're right, even after selling Gray we still hadn't cleared FFP hence having to sell more. I don't think people realise how overbudget we were in our first season.

He did but had Grey stayed then I know Odubajo would had to.

Just now, Large said:

He did but had Grey stayed then I know Odubajo would had to.

Remember Gray leaving and Odubajo congratulating him as if leaving us for someone "bigger" was the goal, don't think he'd of been so open about that if he were staying.

Same as almost any job in pro football. I know somebody who knows somebody. Football is the worst industry in the world that I know for it. It's not what you know but who you know. Goes a long way to explaining why generally it is run so poorly [not talking about me though, obviously. I was probably the best bit of business the club has done B|].

Edited by Large

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 1:46 PM, Danny said:

Yeah youll always lose your best player if a bigger clubs wants him, but it wasn't just that one player we lost. Alongside Andre Gray we then lost Douglas, Diagouraga, Dallas, Pritchard (loan), Odubajo and Tarkowski. That's 7 players who were all fairly key players for us, we didn't lose them because big money was thrown around in transfers, we lost them because they weren't signing new contracts and we could only previously afford to keep them on 3 year deals, often only extending by 1 or 2 years. Tarks and Pritchard were different as Tarkowski refused to play for us once Burnley got involved and Pritchard was just on loan, but the point is we now have most of our players on 4-5 year deals with extensions thrown in there as opposed to just a 2-3 year deal. So if we are going to lose Sergi Canos or Ryan Woods we'll either be in a position to say no or demand top dollar as opposed to just taking something rather than nothing.

Currently we have the best winger in the league, if we keep him he'll score a shitload and if we sell him we'll make a shitload and bring in someone who can make a similar impact on a long term contract. We're still waiting on Alan Judge to come back and that's not mentioning the likes of Canos, Jozefzoon and Vibe too.

If Sergi Canos or Ryan Woods want to go, then they will go, whether you hang on an extra window or not would be the only variant. 

Whose the best winger in the league? Another big statement. How do you know if you sell him you'll automatically replace him with someone who can make a similar impact?

I like Vibe. He ruined us that dreaded night.

1 hour ago, TomAVFC said:

If Sergi Canos or Ryan Woods want to go, then they will go, whether you hang on an extra window or not would be the only variant. 

Whose the best winger in the league? Another big statement. How do you know if you sell him you'll automatically replace him with someone who can make a similar impact?

I like Vibe. He ruined us that dreaded night.

But it's the difference between losing 1 player or losing 3-4 in the same window. We had no room to manoeuvre, the players made it clear they wanted to leave and the clubs they went to got them for a cut price due to their contract length. Us having our players on 4-5 year contracts is undoubtedly a positive and will allow us to keep players for longer and sell them for a higher fee.

I'm saying he's the best in the league, he was when he was us before and then he was when he scored 12 goals in half a season. I never said he'd be as good, just that we will go out and buy someone who can make a similar impact. Jota would bring in a fair amount of money and our board know how to spend that.

You can't rely on always being able to replace sold players with the same standard. Albeit, many clubs do so year upon year.

Not that I am trying to piss on your parade, I really like Brentford. I'm just hoping your boy we signed has now found his feet and we can hopefully expect a better return, I think he'll be in the goals next year.

Talking of Jota, Ive just read hes been left out of your friendly squad due to an imminent Premier League bid.....how do you think that story ends?

Edited by TomAVFC

22 hours ago, TomAVFC said:

You can't rely on always being able to replace sold players with the same standard. Albeit, many clubs do so year upon year.

Not that I am trying to piss on your parade, I really like Brentford. I'm just hoping your boy we signed has now found his feet and we can hopefully expect a better return, I think he'll be in the goals next year.

Talking of Jota, Ive just read hes been left out of your friendly squad due to an imminent Premier League bid.....how do you think that story ends?

We won't sign another Jota but we'd sign someone who can offer enough goals to fill the hole, or at least someone who could grow into that if there's someone at the club ready to replace him.

When he's fit Hogan is a goal machine, feed him and he'll generally score.

If we had Jota with 2-3 years on his contract he'd be worth £15m easy in the Championship. With just one year that number goes down, we've said it'll have to be a big deal for him to move and the Evening Standard are reporting we'd let him go for £8m. If he goes it'll be a shame as he is a ticket to the Premier League, but £8m is a lot of money to spend. That is our business plan so I've full confidence either way in the club.

Edited by Danny

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Must try harder

It's true.

The teams coming down are only going to get stronger because of the money available at the top level and there's already at least 10 teams in that division I'd fancy to get promoted before Brentford.

I do think you're slightly deluded. 

14 minutes ago, Toony said:

It's true.

The teams coming down are only going to get stronger because of the money available at the top level and there's already at least 10 teams in that division I'd fancy to get promoted before Brentford.

Championship fans have heard that drum beat for over fifthteen years and there's  still not been a 23 team divide.

Other than Middlesborough who are about as good as they were two years ago the teams coming down are having to rebuild entirely. This league is completely open this year and there is an opportunity for teams to capitalise like Huddersfield did.

Edited by Aaroncpfc

Just now, Aaroncpfc said:

Other than Middlesborough who are about as good as they were two years ago the teams coming down are having to rebuild entirely. This league is completely open this year and there is an opportunity for teams to capitalise like Huddersfield did.

Perhaps.

The likes of Villa, Norwich, Derby, Reading, Fulham etc will be strong and particularly with Brentford looking like losing their best player, I don't think there's many that will see them causing too many problems.

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Toony said:

It's true.

If that was the case with relegated sides having such a big advantage we wouldn't be seeing two sides getting promoted for their first season in the Premier League like Brighton and Huddersfield are. 

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

If that was the case with relegated sides having such a big advantage we wouldn't be seeing two sides getting promoted for their first season in the Premier League like Brighton and Huddersfield are. 

I said they're only going to get stronger.

Villa spent ridiculous amount of money but had a manager that didn't know what he was doing. They'll go up next season.

2 hours ago, Toony said:

I said they're only going to get stronger.

Villa spent ridiculous amount of money but had a manager that didn't know what he was doing. They'll go up next season.

We heard all this bollocks ten years ago in The Championship mate when Charlton came down. "Theyve got too much money, they can sign anybody, nobody will be able to compete soon enough" They haven't been back up since.

36 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

We heard all this bollocks ten years ago in The Championship mate when Charlton came down. "Theyve got too much money, they can sign anybody, nobody will be able to compete soon enough" They haven't been back up since.

We'll see, I'll still be surprised to see Brentford up anytime soon.

We were in the play-off semi final in our first season up. We've much like then a young and talented side, no reason why we shouldn't be challenging for promotion. Anyone who's seen our team will know the quality we have.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Toony said:

It's true.

You're being a bit harsh. I'd definitely have more faith in Brentford to go up this season than Sunderland.

Storts dangling that bait out big time for Danny to chomp on but even Stevie Wonder would see that one coming.

You could never write them off. They play good football and are more than capable of finishing in the playoffs as they have done once before. Granted, they wouldn't be amongst my favourites but equally, I wouldn't be surprised if they did it.

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to FC Brentfjord - Messed up Automatic Promotion, Play-off Failure Here We Come!