talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Greatest Centre-backs in Premier League History

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it is a fair list, considering that everyone has their own opinion. Some would put some players bellow or ahead of the others but overall a decent list. Surprised to see Gallas at 15, i'd have Desailly with one leg instead of that cunt. 

As much as it pains me, Rio over Terry all day long I'm afraid. He had virtually everything and was the more complete centre back.

On a side note, people know I'm not a biased poster in the slightest and opening that list I knew for a fact he wouldn't be on there but Lucas Radebe has to be one of the most criminally underrated centre backs of the Premier League era. He was a colossus for us. Injuries played their part and maybe because we didn't win anything he has nothing to show for his efforts but he was unbelievable. I think working under George Graham was massive for him.

20 hours ago, Lucas said:

As much as it pains me, Rio over Terry all day long I'm afraid. He had virtually everything and was the more complete centre back.

On a side note, people know I'm not a biased poster in the slightest and opening that list I knew for a fact he wouldn't be on there but Lucas Radebe has to be one of the most criminally underrated centre backs of the Premier League era. He was a colossus for us. Injuries played their part and maybe because we didn't win anything he has nothing to show for his efforts but he was unbelievable. I think working under George Graham was massive for him.

As a Leeds supporter, how would you rate Jonathan Woodgate?  I remember at the time, pundits saying if they both had been healthy Woodgate and King would have been England's starting CB over the likes of Terry, Rio and Campbell.

17 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

As a Leeds supporter, how would you rate Jonathan Woodgate?  I remember at the time, pundits saying if they both had been healthy Woodgate and King would have been England's starting CB over the likes of Terry, Rio and Campbell.

Woodgate was so fucking good. Shame how injuries fucked his career up so badly. Same with King tbh.

Pretty mental how good England’s CBs were.

2 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

Very highly. For a short time, we had Rio and Woodgate together and what was so great about that was despite how young they were, there was such maturity to their play. They were a formidable force together.

And I would agree with you, but for his injuries (and also the trouble he got into during the court case for the alleged assault/affray on the Asian student) he would have represented England so much more. He was very unfortunate to have the likes of Sol Campbell, Rio, Terry etc to compete with.

Woodgate is one of the best talents we have produced and I think fans of Newcastle and Spurs would vouch for him as well.

If Woodgate and King wouldn't have been so brittle, then Terry wouldn't have had that much game time for England. 

Also Hyypia was an underrated defender. 

And on a controversial note, if Agger wasn't so brittle then he could have gone on to achieve great things. Maybe I am biased, but for me he was class. Shame he was injured most of the time. 

Archived