The better place to talk football.

Saturday 25th August - Wolves 1-1 Man City

football forum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Nothing wrong with the Wolves goal because it clearly wasn't a deliberate handball. Yes, it's unfortunate for City, but it shouldn't have been disallowed.

xD

But if you're being serious, the rules are a bit different for scoring with illegal body parts.

In fact I'm pretty sure that accidental handball is a foul, but deliberate handball is a yellow/red depending on the context. 

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

xD

But if you're being serious, the rules are a bit different for scoring with illegal body parts.

In fact I'm pretty sure that accidental handball is a foul, but deliberate handball is a yellow/red depending on the context. 

No they're not. We can argue all day long about whether they should be, but they're not.

The second part is just nonsense. Accidental handball has never been an offence.

1 minute ago, Happy Blue said:

Hard to spot in real time but on the reply he is in front of the flick/shot and City defenders

I'm sure I'll be treated to all sorts of different angles and overlays on Sky after the final whistle so I'll find out then

Won't matter in the end though. I fancy you to nick this at the death.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

No they're not. We can argue all day long about whether they should be, but they're not.

The second part is just nonsense. Accidental handball has never been an offence.

Maybe Maradona's goal should have stood after all then? And there was nothing wrong with that goal Henry scored to fuck Ireland over that time?

If you score with your hand it should be disallowed no matter what technicality you can find in the rules to suit any counter argument. That goal shouldn't have stood and would have been disallowed had the officials caught it or had VAR. And if it had been disallowed nobody would be complaining that it should have stood which is usually a good test of whether the opposite decision should have been made.

• Subscriber

Sane miscontrolled everything he touched until that run to be fair, played that corner straight out and misplaced several other passes in his cameo. Mahrez not much better.

City pretty disappointing today but Wolves were well organised and had an effective game plan.

• Administrator

Handball for the goal. You're not allowed to score with your hand, simple as. Accidental or not. 

Bullet header from Laporte but can't imagine Guardiola will be happy with a point.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Maybe Maradona's goal should have stood after all then? And there was nothing wrong with that goal Henry scored to fuck Ireland over that time?

If you score with your hand it should be disallowed no matter what technicality you can find in the rules to suit any counter argument. That goal shouldn't have stood and would have been disallowed had the officials caught it or had VAR. And if it had been disallowed nobody would be complaining that it should have stood which is usually a good test of whether the opposite decision should have been made.

Stop pretending you don't know the difference between deliberate and accidental handball.

I agree with you that goals scored with the hand/arm shouldn't be allowed to stand even if it's accidental, but nowhere in the rules does it say that. We can't know if VAR would've disallowed it for handball, but it shouldn't have, because, again, nowhere in the rules does it say goals scored accidentally with the hand shouldn't stand.

@Burning Gold @RandoEFC 

I was able to see the goal (only once though from a very low quality screen)

I think "accidental handball" really depends. More often than not, a handball will be accidental but it all seems a bit daft because you need to take other factors into count, most notably carelesness.

From what I saw, Boly's goal was completely accidental as he had his hand below the ball and it just so happened that the header wasn't powerful enough to hit the hand. That's "accidental". 

Maradona's goal was completely intentional, I don't remember Henry's and I'll add Ruidiaz' handball vs Brazil too which seemed intentional to me. However, I think goals are a bit more delicate because with penalties, you could shoot straight at someones hand and they'd touch it without being able to react. With goals you obviously can't do it bar an unlucky deflection or something.

I think in real time its fair to give the goal that Boly scored. I still don't want VAR despite it actually improving by tournament, but I don't think it should've mattered in this particular case.

• Subscriber
Just now, Burning Gold said:

Stop pretending you don't know the difference between deliberate and accidental handball.

I agree with you that goals scored with the hand/arm shouldn't be allowed to stand even if it's accidental, but nowhere in the rules does it say that. We can't know if VAR would've disallowed it for handball, but it shouldn't have, because, again, nowhere in the rules does it say goals scored accidentally with the hand shouldn't stand.

Yeah but in almost every area of the rules of football there's about ten million grey areas so the rules rarely get followed to the letter anyway. We're arguing about a technicality. Goals scored with the hand should not be allowed deliberate or not and the fact that that goal stood can only be classed as a huge stroke of luck on Wolves' part regardless of the exact letter of the law. City have every right to feel hard done by.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

A bit of controversy about the goal I see.... well what's done is done, nice for something to go in favour of the underdog for a change...  

It would be nice if goals could go to a review board and be corrected after the game :ph34r:

• The title was changed to Saturday 25th August - Wolves 1-1 Man City
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived