talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Saturday 25th August - Liverpool 1-0 Brighton

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 17.30 - Live on BT Sport

f5bf75c6c632eeb0ac84ed498c85ab2e.png     VS     1200px-Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.p

Head to Head
Liverpool 4-0 Brighton
Brighton 1-5 Liverpool
Liverpool 6-1 Brighton
Brighton 1-2 Liverpool

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, judging by the head to head results this should be a stroll. We are in pretty good form but Brighton were quite good against Utd (or were Utd just very poor?), so it could be closer than people think.

Another win and another clean sheet would be great to carry on our perfect start to the season. 

• Subscriber

I don't think we're going to lose here but I do believe we need to be very tight defensively. Taking any team for granted in this league is a big mistake irrespective of what our historical numbers suggest.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

I mean, judging by the head to head results this should be a stroll. We are in pretty good form but Brighton were quite good against Utd (or were Utd just very poor?), so it could be closer than people think.

Another win and another clean sheet would be great to carry on our perfect start to the season. 

Surely two of those were either Cup games when Brighton were on their arse or in like the 80’s. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Brighton are generally decent at home though, away it's a different story.

32 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Fair enough. Wouldn’t take any notice of them tbh but those two results last year are terrible from Brighton’s point of view. 

Oh I agree, two completely different sides to 6/7 years ago

Brighton relied a lot on feeding long balls to Murray against Utd. If Van Dijk can take care of Murray in the air then I'd be confident of stunting most of what they'll throw our way. 

Going to say it'll be a comfortable 3-0 for us.

• Subscriber

This match only goes one way. Brighton will lose probably more than half of their away games but it won't keep $ky from trying to use what will be a routine Liverpool win as the next "This shows that Liverpool's title ambitions are actually realistic" landmark result of the season. Unbearable cunts. I think Klopp has dealt with it very well so far. 

• Administrator

Hate when keepers 'win' fouls for charging out their box and cleaning out players. Ryan just clattered in to Firmino and the referee was ready to blow his whistle for a free-kick before Firmino even jumped. 

It's as if it's not a contact sport for keepers and referees are far too lenient towards them. So many goals get disallowed purely because a player accidentally breathes in the vicinity of the keeper.

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

pretty sure that was 2-footed from Balogun, and late, and only a booking?!

Slightly worse and more out of control version of Jagielkas red on the first day. Consistency at work again there.

• Administrator
Just now, RandoEFC said:

Slightly worse and more out of control version of Jagielkas red on the first day. Consistency at work again there.

haha yep. reckless for sure.

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Brighton played pretty well, we were just much better.

3 points and another clean sheet, good start to the season.

Alisson kept you in it with 2-3 decent saves.

• Subscriber

Brighton did well. One mistake cost them a goal but Liverpool would have found their goal one way or another.

I don't think I'm being "bitter" saying this but the way people are going on about routine Allisson saves as if they're world class and justify his fee is a bit cringe. For example, the commentator on my stream saying that that save from Pascal Gross was worth three points on it's own. Nah mate, if that header finds its way into Liverpool's net it's one of the goalkeeping howlers of the early season I'm afraid. Good save but one that any average Premier League goalkeeper makes.

Not vintage from us again. Most of what we tried didn't come off and it was only that piece of quality from Salah that gave us the three points. In a way, though, it's good to win 1-0. We only did that once last season, and teams don't seem to fold against us at 1-0 in the way certain teams do against our rivals, so for us to prove we can win by that scoreline is a positive.

46 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Brighton did well. One mistake cost them a goal but Liverpool would have found their goal one way or another.

I don't think I'm being "bitter" saying this but the way people are going on about routine Allisson saves as if they're world class and justify his fee is a bit cringe. For example, the commentator on my stream saying that that save from Pascal Gross was worth three points on it's own. Nah mate, if that header finds its way into Liverpool's net it's one of the goalkeeping howlers of the early season I'm afraid. Good save but one that any average Premier League goalkeeper makes.

That does my head in too, but it's not just Alisson that gets that treatment. People used to gush over Mignolet on the rare occasions he'd make a save even if it was literally right at him, but I think most goalkeepers get it to a greater or lesser extent. It's a bit cringe coming from fans, but from a broadcaster's perspective, it makes it seem more exciting if you say "That was a brilliant save!" than if you say "Yeah he saved it, but you'd expect any PL keeper to save that. Nothing to see here." At the end of the day, excitement is what they're trying to convey, so it's understandable.

Liverpool have started well and they look like they're going to really challenge this season but Liverpool fans talking of the title being guaranteed are talking too early in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Best Alisson moment was the moment he bamboozled the Brighton attacker.

Yea, that was fine bit of skill there I have to say, any other day and you don't pull it off and it's ends up in the back of the net and you end up looking like a bit of a tit but fair play, nice bit of cool, calm control and for a keeper that's rare to see.. Lets be honest we all like to see things like that when they come off.. looks like Liverpool have found that keeper that gives the defence the confidence it never had at times last season... 

As with last week I didn't think that Liverpool were firing on all cylinders like we know they can do, They played well and were creative but thought Brighton played well enough just to stifle them a little and also did well to keep it down to just the one goal.. Again though despite not being at the top of their game they got the important goal and even more importantly kept the clean sheet, It was another one of those games where the margins were fine and could have ended in a draw last season..

I know it's only early doors and as Klopp said he never heard of anyone that won something for being top after 3 games of the season but points on the board at this stage is going to be vital because a lot of the more influential players like Salah, Kane, Hazard etc may be feeling it a bit come the end of the season after the World Cup tiredness starts to creep in and they may possibly lose a little of that sharpness and maybe even find themselves getting injured at times.. I don't see anyone getting carried away but have a good feeling about Liverpool this season.. They look more solid than previous seasons but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating when the more attacking sides like City rock up to test their title credentials... 

• The title was changed to Saturday 25th August - Liverpool 2-0 Brighton
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived