talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Trophy

football forum

5 hours ago, Eco said:

And it's final. 

Pompey win 5-4 in PKs after playing 120 minutes drawing at 2-2. 

Congrats to Pompey!

Did you watch the game?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Did you watch the game?

Haha no. I like Pompey, but can't watch them. With watching the MLS, Serie A, and Bundesliga mostly, I dont even really keep up with them all that much.

• Subscriber

Portsmouth were the better team after half time and then throughout extra time just looked the more deserving. Credit to McGeady for keeping Sunderland in it. The shootout wasn't a bad one either and Cattermole was unlucky not to have put his penalty away as it was a decent save by the keeper. If anything, it makes good watching for the second series of Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix if Sunderland then go on to get the promotion. 

• 6 months later...
  • Subscriber

Sunderland v Grimsby the highlight of tonight’s games for me obviously!

Sunderland having just got rid of their manager hours ago and looking like playing a youth side versus Grimsby who have a couple of youngsters on the bench but a fairly typical XI for us.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the English should invite Celtic sides into the lower division Football League Trophy. I do not support merging the British Leagues. I support the best of both worlds where we keep our own leagues and have cross border cups on top of European and domestic football. If the English really want to help Celtic soccer then instead of stealing our best sides or merging the leagues they should help our leagues become as a strong as possible. The way to do that is cross border cups on top of European and domestic soccer.

My fave idea would be to invite all Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe, plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides into the Football League Trophy.

This would add spice to the season.

There would be cross border games, but not so many that it become gruelling to travel up to Scotland or down to England.

Inviting Scottish and Welsh sides into the lower division cup would do no damage to English ro Scottish soccer. But it would massively help Welsh soccer.

It would add spice to the Scottish and English leagues as we would have the famous Scotland – England banter.

A Scottish team could get to a Wembley Final.

Remember the cup is regionalised so the Scottish sides could play in the Northern section, while the Welsh sides play in the Southern section.

Imagine games like Hearts V Sunderland, or Aberdeen V Blackpool. It would be fun.

Travel is not an issue to the regional nature of the trophy, especially when you consider that Scottish sides have in recent years travelled to Kazakhstan, Israel, and Turkey. While look at the distances travelled by Russian, Australian, Canadian and Australian pro sports sides. A trip from Dingwall to Coventry is nothing.

I am not suggesting this would be as big as the Champions Leagues it would just add spice to the season.

Welsh and Southern Scottish sides could also play in the FA Trophy.

The Scots have allowed Welsh, Irish and English sides to play in the Scottish Challenge Cup, and the Welsh used to allow English sides in the Welsh FA Cup. So Uefa would be OK.

• Subscriber
On 17/04/2020 at 20:52, Inverness Fan said:

I think the English should invite Celtic sides into the lower division Football League Trophy. I do not support merging the British Leagues. I support the best of both worlds where we keep our own leagues and have cross border cups on top of European and domestic football. If the English really want to help Celtic soccer then instead of stealing our best sides or merging the leagues they should help our leagues become as a strong as possible. The way to do that is cross border cups on top of European and domestic soccer.

My fave idea would be to invite all Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe, plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides into the Football League Trophy.

This would add spice to the season.

There would be cross border games, but not so many that it become gruelling to travel up to Scotland or down to England.

Inviting Scottish and Welsh sides into the lower division cup would do no damage to English ro Scottish soccer. But it would massively help Welsh soccer.

It would add spice to the Scottish and English leagues as we would have the famous Scotland – England banter.

A Scottish team could get to a Wembley Final.

Remember the cup is regionalised so the Scottish sides could play in the Northern section, while the Welsh sides play in the Southern section.

Imagine games like Hearts V Sunderland, or Aberdeen V Blackpool. It would be fun.

Travel is not an issue to the regional nature of the trophy, especially when you consider that Scottish sides have in recent years travelled to Kazakhstan, Israel, and Turkey. While look at the distances travelled by Russian, Australian, Canadian and Australian pro sports sides. A trip from Dingwall to Coventry is nothing.

I am not suggesting this would be as big as the Champions Leagues it would just add spice to the season.

Welsh and Southern Scottish sides could also play in the FA Trophy.

The Scots have allowed Welsh, Irish and English sides to play in the Scottish Challenge Cup, and the Welsh used to allow English sides in the Welsh FA Cup. So Uefa would be OK.

I can't see many English clubs agreeing to this. And I'm not sure the Scottish ones would want another competition to play in would they?

Archived