talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Trophy

football forum

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Exactly anyone that knows Cov knows they couldn’t give a toss. For a lot of them which they freely admit the Ricoh will go and that was really the only chance they’re likely to get to see them at Wembley before they go. Half the fans I know think they’re going to fold within a decade

Coventry City truly is a club dying on its arse. There's such an apathy about them now it's ridiculous.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

248 at Grimsby Town v Sunderland U23's, including three away fans. 

Might as well cancel the competition now. 

Bollocks. Didn't you know England future stars such as Jack Rodwell and Callum McManaman were playing last night, as well as Ibrahim Afellay, Charlie Adam and Saido Berahino for Stoke? ¬¬

Clearly a worthwhile competition. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Especially seeing as Luton got a fine last year for actually playing youth players. 

yeah i thought that was ludicrous. quite a hefty fine for a lower league club as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Checkatrade Trophy
9 hours ago, Cannabis said:

It'd be nice for a small club to win this so that us top flight teams can continue to use this competition to improve our players. 

The next breed of England stars aren't coming from Swindon, Wimbledon or Chesterfield they're coming from the top flight. 

Keep this going and if possible, introduce 'B' teams into League Two.

They ain’t coming from Reading, Boro or Brighton’s U21 teams either. 

• 5 months later...
  • The topic was unpinned

Another trophy to distract real teams from their goals from promotion :| Plus, with the addition of Academies, this really has become a rather large joke of a tournament. 

However, Portsmouth are in Group A in the Southern Division, alongside Crawley Town (L2), Gillingham (L1), and Tottenham U21s (ACA)

Pompey's schedule is as follows:

4 Sept: vs Gillingham
9 October at Crawley Town
13 November: vs Tottenham U21s

Just noticed that all of the academy teams play all of their matches away...Well, at least there is that. 

Don't see why the U23 sides are drawn out for this, they should just be assigned groups. Like West Ham U23's should be playing Charlton and Wimbledon rather than Swansea U23 playing Charlton and Wimbledon.

I'm in Liverpool for a few days in October, I was hoping Tranmere would be at home when I'm there. Unfortunately, they're not. Marine and Prescot Cables are at home that week so not all bad.

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Don't see why the U23 sides are drawn out for this, they should just be assigned groups. Like West Ham U23's should be playing Charlton and Wimbledon rather than Swansea U23 playing Charlton and Wimbledon.

I'm in Liverpool for a few days in October, I was hoping Tranmere would be at home when I'm there. Unfortunately, they're not. Marine and Prescot Cables are at home that week so not all bad.

I'm not sure why Manchester United and Liverpool U21 teams haven't accepted an invitation to this competition in 3 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, September 4
Doncaster Rovers vs Newcastle United U21
Oldham Athletic vs Barnsley
Forest Green Rovers vs Cheltenham Town
Carlisle United vs Morecambe
Sunderland vs Stoke City U21
Rochdale vs Bury
Macclesfield Town vs Blackpool
Tranmere Rovers v Crewe Alexandra
Burton Albion v Walsall
Bradford City vs Everton U21
Grimsby Town vs Notts County
Lincoln City vs Mansfield Town
Scunthrope United vs Wolves U21
Crawley Town vs Tottenham U21
Portsmouth vs Gillingham
Colchester United vs Southampton U21
Southend United vs Cambridge United
Yeovil Town vs Exeter City
Oxford United vs Fulham U21
Charlton Athletic vs AFC Wimbledon
Luton Town vs Brighton U21
MK Dons vs Peterborough U21
Northampton Town vs Wycombe Wanderers

• Administrator

Max Power sent off at the weekend.
Sunderland want him to play in Checkatrade Trophy as the competition doesn't count towards 3-game ban.
FA say 'nah, you can't play mate'. 

Bit unfair that it doesn't count towards the ban but he's still not allowed to play xD  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45410311

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Max Power sent off at the weekend.
Sunderland want him to play in Checkatrade Trophy as the competition doesn't count towards 3-game ban.
FA say 'nah, you can't play mate'. 

Bit unfair that it doesn't count towards the ban but he's still not allowed to play xD  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45410311

Farcical decision. Clubs should, rightly, lose their players who got sent-off on Saturday but they’re losing them for an extra game than the penalties for red cards state, which is bizarre and wrong. 

I hope Sunderland or Southend, two clubs effected by this field their ineligible players just to make more of a mockery of the competition. It won’t happen but I’d rate either of them if they did. 

Archived