talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

EFL Trophy

football forum

football forum

Confirmed reports today that despite most of the Football League voicing concerns over the Checkatrade Trophy it will continue throughout next season with the inclusion of Premier League academies.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

I bet they pointed to what happened in the final as a positive. It's a sickener Coventry won it because that is literally the best possible outcome for the shambolic tournament they have created - a  decent sized club so utterly deprived of any positive that they treat it like it means something, thus deluding the EFL that it's been a success.

In reality it was just a shambles.

• The title was changed to Checkatrade Trophy Set to Continue in 2017/18
  • 1 month later...

Not sure how the League Cup can be described as a sham or why it's beneath a team like Palace. 

The format change looks better but the U23 sides should be regionalised too so you don't end up with three sides from the South West playing Fulham U23's. 

Full draw

Northern section

• Group A: Carlisle, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Leicester City Under-21
  • Group B: Accrington, Blackpool, Wigan, Middlesbrough Under-21
  • Group C: Blackburn, Bury, Rochdale, Stoke City Under-21
  • Group D: Crewe, Oldham, Port Vale, Newcastle United Under-21
  • Group E: Coventry, Shrewsbury, Walsall, West Brom Under-21
  • Group F: Bradford, Chesterfield, Rotherham, Manchester City Under-21
  • Group G: Lincoln, Mansfield, Notts County, Everton Under-21
  • Group H: Doncaster, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Sunderland Under-21

Southern Section

• Group A: Charlton, Crawley, Portsmouth, Fulham Under-21
  • Group B: Colchester, Gillingham, Southend, Reading Under-21
  • Group C: Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Wycombe, West Ham Under-21
  • Group D: Exeter, Plymouth, Yeovil, Chelsea Under-21
  • Group E: Cheltenham, Forest Green, Newport, Swansea Under-21
  • Group F: AFC Wimbledon, Barnet, Luton, Tottenham Under-21
  • Group G: MK Dons, Oxford, Stevenage, Brighton Under-21
  • Group H: Cambridge, Northampton, Peterborough, Southampton Under-21

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Rovers first group game last night, at home to Stoke Under-23s. We won 1-0 thanks to a Joe Nuttall goal - the young striker signed this summer has started his Rovers career really well scoring 6 goals in 3 under-23 games and a goal on his debut for the senior team. Mowbray put out a strong team but also took the opportunity to give a few youngsters their debuts/first senior starts. At one point our back 4 and goalkeeper were all academy graduates, and all the youngsters involved look like they have a real chance of making it into the senior team. The most likely are Nuttall and Tomlinson, but the full backs Travis and Doyle also have a chance. We lost Nyambe and Williams to injuries so hopefully they are only minor.

• Subscriber

Cambridge lost on penalties to Northampton last night. Yep, penalties in a group game and they used the ABBA system for the shootout. On a positive note, a 1-1 draw away at League 1 opposition is alright though admittedly I have no idea how strong the line ups were.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

What a great competition where Premier League U23's get beaten off League One and League Two B teams.

You won't be saying that when we all reminisce about England's World Cup win in 2022 and how Ibrehim Affley and Charlie Adam were footballing visionaries by playing in the Checkatrade Trophy. 

• The title was changed to The Checkatrade Trophy
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Cambridge played rivals Peterborough for the first time in yonks tonight. Lost 2-0.

I'd still have an interest in this tournament if they took out the academy teams again, it was worth a try but it's ended up making it too much of a piss take (and hard to bet on above all else). Also need to sack off the group format and go back to straight knockout. 

• Subscriber

In the two years we've been in this we've had no fewer than three new grounds for me to go to and I won't go simply on principle (and I'm not quite sure I can be arsed going to Morecambe to watch our reserves). Absolutely typical that we get them in this utter shitheap of a tournament.

On 12/05/2017 at 6:48 PM, Dan said:

I bet they pointed to what happened in the final as a positive. It's a sickener Coventry won it because that is literally the best possible outcome for the shambolic tournament they have created - a  decent sized club so utterly deprived of any positive that they treat it like it means something, thus deluding the EFL that it's been a success.

In reality it was just a shambles.

Exactly anyone that knows Cov knows they couldn’t give a toss. For a lot of them which they freely admit the Ricoh will go and that was really the only chance they’re likely to get to see them at Wembley before they go. Half the fans I know think they’re going to fold within a decade

Wigan didn't have a player with a squad number beneath 30 last night and gave a debut to a 15/16 year-old, who become their youngest ever player. 

Bradford played in front of 941 (they average well over 10k most games) and gave a debut to a 15 year-old. 

Tournaments going well, it seems xD

• The title was changed to Checkatrade Trophy
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived