football forum

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, nudge said:

kgff8u07t1j21.png

Al Gore...christ....

Anyways, as a major NBA fan, this was a lighter article that I just found inspirational.

Abdul-Jabbar puts four title rings up for auction

Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has put four of his NBA championship rings up for auction.

Abdul-Jabbar has hundreds of items from his memorabilia collection available in the auction, being conducted by Goldin Auctions, with "much of the proceeds" going to his Skyhook Foundation charity to help benefit kids learn about science, technology, engineering and math.

Besides the 1980, 1985, 1987 and 1988 championship rings he earned as a member of the Los Angeles Lakers, Abdul-Jabbar is auctioning off a game-used signed and inscribed basketball from his final game in 1989. He finished his legendary career with an NBA-record 38,387 points.

"When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all," Abdul-Jabbar wrote on his blog about why he's auctioning off valuables from his sports history.

"Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future.

"That's a history that has no price."

Abdul-Jabbar, 71, wrote that he's "on a solid financial path" and is not selling the items due to money trouble.

Some of the championship rings start with a minimum bid of $60,000. Also available on the website are game-worn jerseys, uniforms, trophies and even various keys to cities that he received.

"Since my life is still happening and ever-evolving, I am less personally attached to those items than I am to my desire to create new history for myself -- and futures for others," Abdul-Jabbar said. "Much of the proceeds from my auction will go to support my charity, the Skyhook Foundation, whose mission is to 'give kids a shot that can't be blocked.'

"We do this by sending children from economically challenged schools to five days in the Angeles National Forest to experience the wonders of nature and learn the basics about science, technology, and engineering."

Abdul-Jabbar is a six-time NBA champion; he won his first ring as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks, followed by five with the Lakers.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26085760/abdul-jabbar-puts-four-title-rings-auction

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I don't know who he is but that's definitely the very definition of good news...

My grandma passed away due to cancer and even almost 15 years later, I still have a dream at night every once in a while in which she beats it and survives and then I wake up and realise it was just a dream. Fucking gets me every time.

• 1 month later...

Not sure why this was on memes, but wow none the less

HOUSTON (ChurchMilitant.com) - A Texas father has been reunited with his son after spending months in prison for standing off with law enforcement at a hospital.

George Pickering was arrested in January 2015 and spent 10 months in prison for an armed standoff with a SWAT team after hearing the Houston hospital where his comatose son was staying planned to remove his life support. 

His son, 27-year-old George Pickering III, was being held at Tomball Regional Medical Center in Tomball, Texas after suffering a massive stroke and falling into a coma. "They were saying he was brain dead. He was a vegetable," says the senior Pickering.

According to local reports, the hospital staff eventually arranged for a "terminal wean," the process of gradually removing an individual from life support; the decision had been approved by the elder Pickering's ex-wife and his other son.   

"I knew if I had three or four hours that night that I would know whether George was brain dead," Pickering states. "I had blinders on. All I knew I just needed to have this time with George."

Pickering made his way to the hospital with a gun and entered his son's room, where he barricaded himself inside. A three-hour-long standoff ensued, with the hospital calling in a SWAT team to mitigate the situation. SWAT officials spent much of the time negotiating with Pickering, who refused to yield.

Moments before the SWAT team was able to gain entry into the hospital room, Pickering felt credible movement from his son. "George squeezed my hand three or four times on command," Pickering claimed.

At that point, the determined father surrendered without incident.    

According to the family's lawyer Phoebe Smith, "The SWAT team had their own doctors and when they entered into the critical care room, they saw that my client’s son was not brain dead because he was making eye contact, was following their commands and they were completely amazed at this."

Smith went on to praise Pickering's courage. "The amazing thing was that my client was right and that his son did survive. When you see him now, he is a picture of health. I don’t think he would have survived but for the fact that his father slowed the process down."

The father was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, for which he served a 10-month prison sentence. One of the charges filed was eventually dismissed while the other was reduced; Pickering was then credited with time served. He was released in December, in time to spend Christmas with his son who is back to full health. 

"There was a law broken, but it was broken for all the right reasons," says Pickering's son. "I'm here now because of it. It was love, it was love."

"The important thing," he continues, "is I'm alive and well, my father is home and we're together again." 

On 03/04/2019 at 19:23, nudge said:

I don't know who he is but that's definitely the very definition of good news...

My grandma passed away due to cancer and even almost 15 years later, I still have a dream at night every once in a while in which she beats it and survives and then I wake up and realise it was just a dream. Fucking gets me every time.

That must be gutting.... I lost both my parents to Cancer and after my Dad died my other half said I wasn't the same anymore, she said I lost a lot of my humour..  I didn't see it or feel it myself but those closest too you do see things like that... 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nudge said:

I wanted to believe it but a cynic in me raised alarm levels so I did some fact checking...

https://www.forest-monitor.com/en/johan-eliasch-fined-for-illegal-amazon-logging/

xD 

Well that's interesting because I too checked on it before putting it up and this is what I got... xD I obviously didn't dig deep enough

https://www.coolearth.org/what-we-do/the-team/johan-eliasch/

• 1 month later...

Archived