talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Good News Thread....

football forum

• Administrator

It may seem like any other complex surgery but it appears much more than that when you look at the x-ray of the jaw :o 

Absolutely fucking insane how the doctor was able to reconstruct it given it was literally hanging off her face. Hats off to the surgeon. Stellar job!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49971866

A teenager's jaw was so badly damaged in a horse riding accident her surgeon described it as the worst injury he had seen outside a war zone.

Emily Eccles, 15, from Sheffield, was left with just one centimetre of skin keeping her jaw attached to the rest of her head after the accident in August.

Consultant surgeon Ricardo Mohammed-Ali rebuilt her face using three titanium plates and more than 160 stitches.

Emily is now calling for him to receive a knighthood.

The teenager was out riding in Baslow, Derbyshire, with a friend and her family when the accident happened.

The horse was spooked by an exhaust popping on a car and galloped along a country path, but after her feet came out of the stirrups, she fell to one side and her head hit a wooden post.

Emily was taken to Sheffield Children's Hospital after finding herself on the floor, holding what remained of the bottom of her face in her own hands.

Mr Mohammed-Ali rebuilt her face in a five-and-a-half hour long operation which was such a success that the teenager was back at school for the start of term, just a month after the accident.

Mr Mohammed-Ali said: "It could have been worse, but it is one of the most significant injuries that I have seen in a child outside of areas of conflict."

He added: "Emily's injury was significant in that the entire left side of her lower jaw from the front of the jaw to the joint was pulled away from the face and only retained by a small strip of skin.

"I am extremely pleased with her recovery so far."

Emily said she first tried not to look, but accidentally switched on her selfie camera as she was messaging a friend.

"It was like something you see in a film, it was really quite horrific," she said.

"At first I was thinking, I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm not going to look like me, I'm not going to have the same kind of life as I did before."

The teenager has written to the Queen to get the surgeon a knighthood and received a personal letter straight back from her secretary saying it had been referred to the relevant body.

"Saving people's lives and getting them back to normality definitely deserves some sort of recognition," she said.

The x-ray...

image.png

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

It may seem like any other complex surgery but it appears much more than that when you look at the x-ray of the jaw :o 

Absolutely fucking insane how the doctor was able to reconstruct it given it was literally hanging off her face. Hats off to the surgeon. Stellar job!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-49971866

Amazing what that surgeon did, looking at the photo of the broken jaw then looking at the young lady now, I broke my jaw in my army days and had it wired together for 6 weeks but nothing like that...phew :ay:

871076791_download(2).thumb.png.07be45bfc034d61e959f5ae5d176088c.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Phenomenal guy. I donated about an hour ago. That is an incredible amount of money!

Even more incredible is he was only aiming for £1,000 amazing effort from him and all those that gave something for the cause.. 

Meanwhile, a military veteran who is walking 100 lengths of his garden to generate cash for the NHS has been praised as "an inspiration to us all" as his fundraising campaign passed the £10 million mark.

Captain Tom Moore, 99, who lives with his family in Bedfordshire, is due to complete the last of the 25-metre laps on Thursday.

:congrats:

After serving in World War Two, it could be argued that Captain Tom Moore had done enough for his country to be considered a hero. But the 99-year-old veteran was clearly not content with his already long list of achievements when he set out to raise money for the NHS during the coronavirus crisis. The granddad-of-four, from Yorkshire, pledged to raise £1,000 by walking 100 laps of his garden before he turned 100 at the end of the month. He reached that milestone today, raising an incredible £14 million – the single biggest fundraiser in JustGiving history.

Captain Tom Moore was born on April 30th in 1920. His parents and family were local builders in Keighley, Yorkshire, where he spent much of his life. He attended Keighley Grammar School as a child, and later went on to complete an apprenticeship as a Civil Engineer. But in 1940, aged just 20, his education took a pause as he was conscripted into the army to fight in World War Two. Tom joined the 8th Battalion of The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, with whom he was sent to Cornwall to defend the coast as the threat of a German invasion loomed.

After being selected for officer training, Tom quickly rose up through the ranks to captain and in 1941, was enlisted to India. The journey to Bombay took six weeks by sea. There, Captain Tom was instructed to start a motorcycle course for his regiment, before moving onto Calcutta in a treacherous three week road trip in the the midst of the monsoon season. Later, he served and fought on the Arakan in Burma – a British colony which was invaded by the Japanese. He moved further south with his troops to Rangoon, then the capital of Burma and a major port, before the Japanese surrendered. After his overseas duties were said and done, Tom returned to the UK to become an instructor at The Armoured Fighting Vehicle School in Bovington, Dorset, where he continued to work until all tanks and troops were demobilised. After he came out of the army Tom raced his Scott motorbike around Yorkshire and won several cups and medals. He also organised the annual reunion of his regiment for 64 years – the longest continual annual reunion in the Duke of Wellington Regiment.

He was single into his late 40s and had ‘almost given up on love’ until he met late wife Pamela while working as a salesman. They married in 1969, had two daughters and were together for over 40 years before she sadly passed away in 2006. Tom cared for her for two years when she fell ill with dementia, helping her with meals every single day even when she was no longer able to recognise him.

After Pamela passed away, Tom moved in with with his daughter Hannah, her husband and their two children in Bedforshire. He continued to lead a full life, driving each day until he unfortunately slipped and fractured his hip two years ago. It was the care that he received in hospital and in aftercare, along with the treatment he received after he had skin cancer removed from his head, that prompted Tom to want to give something back to the NHS during the coronavirus crisis.

99-year-old war veteran Captain Tom Moore at his home in Marston Moretaine, Bedfordshire, after he achieved his goal of 100 laps of his garden - raising more than 12 million pounds for the NHS. PA Photo. Picture date: Thursday April 16, 2020. See PA story HEALTH Coronavirus Veteran. Photo credit should read: Joe Giddens/PA Wire

If I was capable of crying I would probably shed a tear, If this bloke had done nothing before across his entire lifetime he would still have been a hero for raising this amount of money... As it is he has served his country nearly all his life and at the ripe old age of 99 he still had enough in the tank to get this over the line... Respect

Last of a dying breed.... :(

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Legend. :x

I do like Tom Hanks... he really is a people person. I remember that time he recognised that extra from Saving Private Ryan on the Graham Norton show and also took a load of photos on some blokes phone in a bar while he was wrecked... xD

Just now, Bluewolf said:

I do like Tom Hanks... he really is a people person. I remember that time he recognised that extra from Saving Private Ryan on the Graham Norton show and also took a load of photos on some blokes phone in a bar while he was wrecked... xD

Yea, he sounds like a proper decent guy. I was on Malta at the same time he was while he shot Captain Phillips, but I never ran into him. What a shame. 

• Administrator

Captain Tom Moore now has another record to his name :). Number 1 on his 100th birthday for his rendition of You'll Never Walk Alone, with Michael Ball. 

Go on, lad!

So Captain ( Now a Colonel )Tom Moore turns 100 today after raising a whopping 30 Million for the NHS... 

He had a flyby from a Spitfire and a Hurricane to mark the occasion... He also got over 140,000 birthday cards.. :o

Much Respect... 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/30/happy-birthday-captain-tom-war-veteran-turned-29000000-nhs-legend-turns-100-today-12631626/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Bluewolf said:

Shame every country didn't use the chance to do something similar.. 

Britain's farmers did ask for fruit pickers but didn't get enough uptake from the public. Surprising given so many people are out of work and were probably bored out home, could have boosted their income. Maybe they weren't up for the manual labour...

Archived