talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Good News Thread....

football forum

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Britain's farmers did ask for fruit pickers but didn't get enough uptake from the public. Surprising given so many people are out of work and were probably bored out home, could have boosted their income. Maybe they weren't up for the manual labour...

Germany had to get around 80000 seasonal workers (mostly from Romania) for the same reason, especially for asparagus harvesting. The farmers had to charter special flights to get those workers in. There was some interest from the Germans too, some even volunteered without pay, but many were deemed unfit for that kind of work due to it being very demanding physically and also due to lack of any knowledge and previous experience.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Stan said:

Britain's farmers did ask for fruit pickers but didn't get enough uptake from the public. Surprising given so many people are out of work and were probably bored out home, could have boosted their income. Maybe they weren't up for the manual labour...

Seems easy on the face of it but if people were willing to do it and had to travel some distance to get there it might be that accommodation for the period for all those people would have been difficult. I mean just look out your window mate and tell me how many fruit fields you can see in your area??? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Broxh the Carver... He has a YouTube channel where he carves for pleasure and people keep giving him money even though he keeps telling them it's free to view... xD

What a great bloke... :congrats:

Loved his comment when someone asked what happens if he makes a mistake while carving... B|

Here is one after raising money to keep a rescue helicopter in service... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

:congrats:

A boss is giving his staff £10m as a thank-you to mark his retirement.

The gift from Admiral's Chief Executive David Stevens and his wife Heather will be shared between 7,500 staff in south Wales and 3,000 overseas.

Full-time workers will get £1,000 with part-time staff receiving £500.

Mr Stevens, who co-founded the Cardiff-based motor insurance company with his wife in 1991, said he was "proud and fortunate to have worked with a such a special group of people".

"Saying thank you to all Admiral staff in this way is the right thing to do," he said.

"Their hard work and dedication has allowed Admiral to grow from a start-up to over 11,000 staff worldwide.

"And all of this while remaining a great place to work. Thank you from myself and my wife to everyone at Admiral."

It follows a similar gesture by former chief executive - and fellow co-founder - Henry Engelhardt who gave a £1,000 retirement thank you to full-time staff back in 2016, which at the time came to about £7m.

Mr Stevens is being succeeded as chief executive by Milena Mondini de Focatilis.

Admiral was launched selling car insurance over the phone in Cardiff with a team of just 57.

Its other UK offices are in Swansea and Newport, with overseas sites in Spain, Italy, France, Canada, the US and India.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54203722

• Subscriber

Excerpt from the thread.

She said she’s been encouraging to Tyron’s opponents for as long as he’s competed. She said when he was wrestling in college, where he was an All-American at Missouri, she’d cheer for wrestlers he’d have to face one day.

He would scold her for doing it, but she never stopped. A bunch of the wrestlers, she said, began to refer to her as “the universal mom.”

“That’s just me and that’s just how I am,” Deborah said. “I was always encouraging the wrestlers. A lot of them didn’t have family show up and they needed someone to be there for them and cheer and encourage them. Tyron would say, ‘Mom, you can’t be rooting on guys I might have to wrestle,’ and I’d say, ‘Why can’t I?’ That’s just me. It’s the way I am. You have to understand something when it comes to this.

“They’re not adversaries; they’re opponents. I think we’re all family and we need to support each other.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived