• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tuesday 11th April - Juventus 3-0 Barcelona

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

This. 

A lot of credit should go to Gigi even though it'll obviously be dished out to Dybala, had he not been on his ''A'' game this could be a lot closer than it is now.

It may be an unpopular opinion but for me Barça could've even won this game.  This Juve performance aside from 20 first half minutes hasn't been all that.

• The title was changed to Tuesday 11th April - Juventus 3-0 Barcelona
  • Administrator

what a victory for the Old Lady that was. 

Solid, resilient defensive showing as expected. Typified by the legend in goal with some vital saves.

Barca were toothless in attack. Suarez was off form, Messi ineffective. 

Busquets was a HUGE miss.

End of Barcelona in this year's Champions League I think. They're not coming back from 3-0 at home. Juve are a much better side than PSG. They won't be so naive and won't give them so many opportunities to overcome the deficit. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

what a victory for the Old Lady that was. 

Solid, resilient defensive showing as expected. Typified by the legend in goal with some vital saves.

Barca were toothless in attack. Suarez was off form, Messi ineffective. 

Busquets was a HUGE miss.

End of Barcelona in this year's Champions League I think. They're not coming back from 3-0 at home. Juve are a much better side than PSG. They won't be so naive and won't give them so many opportunities to overcome the deficit. 

Have you seen how deep he was playing? Completely killed his game when Barca had zero cohesion in the midfield, resulting for Messi to drop deeper and deeper. Saw him next to Pique at one point. 

Who do Barca miss more? Busquets or Iniesta? Seems like no one can control the middle when either or both are not present. 

• Administrator
Just now, Cannabis said:

Steven Gerrard isn't convinced by ter Stegen and Umtiti, what a whopper xD

yet chose to ignore Mathieu's and Gomez' incompetence xD 

Such a twat. 

With Barça's golden generation growing old they seem like a dying project now.

I know he won't but it would be interesting to see Messi try something new next season. Premier League... why not. Not that he needs to prove anything, but I would still like to see it.

For the first time he's looking too good for the team he is playing for. Not that he ever had anyone at his level, but this side isn't exactly 2010 Barça.

This was no PSG Paris performance by Juve today. Against Paris Saint-Germain Barça practically had no real chances to score in the game except for a great opportunity at the death from an Umtiti header.

Juventus gave Barcelona plenty of opportunities at home and at the Camp Nou they'll have more because they'll go for it.

At the same time, for me the tie is dead because Juve will score and unless Juventus go to Barcelona and attack (which I doubt unless they're mad) I can't see Barcelona scoring enough goals. Their effectivity would have to be tremenous like Juve's was today.

Barcelona just don't look like a winning side this season. Tweaks are needed and I'm sure the club are working hard to bring the side up to the competitively levels required to be able to beat the best. Too many stupid games this season both in the Champions League and La Liga has seen them fade at the three quarter mark. 

6 minutes ago, Machado said:

With Barça's golden generation growing old they seem like a dying project now.

I know he won't but it would be interesting to see Messi try something new next season. Premier League... why not. Not that he needs to prove anything, but I would still like to see it.

For the first time he's looking too good for the team he is playing for. Not that he ever had anyone at his level, but this side isn't exactly 2010 Barça.

You said this at the start of the season they won the treble with Luis Enrique mate. xD

Although you wasn't the only one. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

This was no PSG Paris performance by Juve today. Agains Paris Saint-Germain Barça practically had no real chances to score in the game except for a great opportunity at the death from an Umtiti header.

Juventus gave Barcelona plenty of opportunities at home and at the Camp Nou they'll have more because they'll go for it.

At the same time, for me the tie is dead because Juve will score and unless Juventus go to Barcelona and attack (which I doubt unless they're mad) I can't see Barcelona scoring enough goals. Their effectivity would have to be tremenous like Juve's was today.

Barcelona just don't look like a winning side this season. Tweaks are needed and I'm sure the club are working hard to bring the side up to the competitively levels required to be able to beat the best. Too many stupid games this season both in the Champions League and La Liga has seen them fade at the three quarter mark. 

They just looked a little dull and non-cohesive up front for me. Having Neymar out of the team due to the weekend suspension might help matters and the return of Busquets to the midfield will help as well imo.

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

They just looked a little dull and non-cohesive up front for me. Having Neymar out of the team due to the weekend suspension might help matters and the return of Busquets to the midfield will help as well imo.

The problems weren't up front mate. Barça made plenty of opportunities considering they were playing away at Juventus.

The problems all season where it's gone wrong both in the Champions League and La Liga have all been in midfield. The 20 minutes in the first half where Juve were all over Barcelona was an example of this. Absolutley nothing in midfield and too many unforced errors in basic passes being intercepted. 

Barça need to fix the midfield for next season and nothing else needs to be touched because when a midfield doesn't work properly (especially the way Barça want to play) both the front players don't get supplied efficiently and the defence is left in limbo. 

• Administrator
Just now, SirBalon said:

The problems weren't up front mate. Barça made plenty of opportunities considering they were playing away at Juventus.

The problems all season where it's gone wrong both in the Champions League and La Liga have all been in midfield. The 20 minutes in the first half where Juve were all over Barcelona was an example of this. Absolutley nothing in midfield and too many unforced errors in basic psses being intercepted. 

Barça need to fix the midfield for next season and nothing else needs to be touched because when a midfield doesn't work properly (esoecially the way Barça want to play) both the front players don't get supplied efficiently and the defence is left in limbo. 

I'd sack off Gomes in order for more strength in midfield. but additionally, sack off Mathieu as well because you have to have better defenders than that when it comes to games like this.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

The problems all season where it's gone wrong both in the Champions League and La Liga have all been in midfield. The 20 minutes in the first half where Juve were all over Barcelona was an example of this. Absolutley nothing in midfield and too many unforced errors in basic psses being intercepted. 

Barça need to fix the midfield for next season and nothing else needs to be touched because when a midfield doesn't work properly (esoecially the way Barça want to play) both the front players don't get supplied efficiently and the defence is left in limbo. 

Any reason why they put on Gomes instead of someone else? Rakitic looked off it today as well and it always felt like he was one touch away from giving the ball up to the opposition. Whatever happened to Arda Turan? This seemed like the kind of game a player like him would have thrived in.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Any reason why they put on Gomes instead of someone else? Rakitic looked off it today as well and it always felt like he was one touch away from giving the ball up to the opposition. Whatever happened to Arda Turan? This seemed like the kind of game a player like him would have thrived in.

Arda has been injured for a while with a reoccurring calf problem. He was on form too! Another issue is why Denis Suárez hasn't seen Champions League football this season and yet André Gomes continues to be selected.

As for Ivan Rakitić, well he's been rotated a lot as has Iniesta so as (I assume) to be fresh for the key games. The problem with this as has been identified by various serious journalists in Spain is that these types of players need to be playing so as to be in tune with everything and on top form. All this stop starting hasn't helped.

Sergio Busquets was a massive massive miss today for the balance of the midfield. The second Juve goal is testimony to where Busquets covers deep runs from midfield. Plus everything else he does in linking everything in that area while on the ball. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Arda has been injured for a while with a reoccurring calf problem. He was on form too! Another issue is why Denis Suárez hasn't seen Champions League football this season and yet André Gomes continues to be selected.

As for Ivan Rakitić, well he's been rotated a lot as has Iniesta so as (I assume) to be fresh for the key games. The problem with this as has been identified by various serious journalists in Spain is that these types of players need to be playing so as to be in tune with everything and on top form. All this stop starting hasn't helped.

Sergio Busquets was a massive massive miss today for the balance of the midfield. The second Juve goal is testimony to where Busquets covers deep runs from midfield. Plus everything else he does in linking everything in that area while on the ball. 

So many options and yet the one that no one wanted ended up on the pitch. I definitely agree with the Busquets comment because he's such a vital player that you only see the difference in the way they play when hes not around. 

From Rinus Michels to Cryuff to Guardiola to Xavi. The next manager will only be a temporary stopgap til Xavi comes home.

I've always said that Xavi's the heart and soul of FC Barcelona. Even more so than Puyol. We need Xavi now more than ever. 

Nowadays, we almost EXPECT teams to score against Barca. Historically, Barca has never been known for having a stalwart defense, but this is getting ridiculous. The 4-0 and 3-0 losses to Bayern in 2013 aren't so surprising now in retrospect. There's something rotten at the very core: part of it is our insistence on HAVING TO PLAY A CERTAIN WAY. Play from the back etc. etc.

The board's ignorance of the importance of a good defense is now literally costing us trebles/titles (a would be treble this season). Not even sure if we can win the Copa del Rey vs Alaves if Andre Gomes plays a single minute of the final, to be perfectly honest.

An inability to ADAPT will kill you in football. Luis Enrique is a Taurus. Inflexible. Unable to adapt.

Part of it is the Barca culture, cos we insist on playing "the beautiful game". At the expense of being pragmatic and doing whatever it takes (a la Real Madrid) to win games, it seems.

We need a new sporting director. The recent signings have been disastrous.

Bartomeu needs to go too. Wanted him gone even after the treble in 2015. He just doesn't have the best interests of FC Barcelona at heart. Bring back Laporta and Xavi!! Truly golden years.

That same Polish ref has now oversaw two maulings of Barca. He's 7-0 vs Barca.

I'm just glad Juve didn't score a 4th goal. That REALLY would have been a bridge too far/game set and match. (Believe it or not, that one goal makes a WORLD of difference.)

Have always rated Dybala and wanted him for our beloved club ever since he was at Palermo. What a supremely/sublimely technically gifted player. One of the folders on my desktop is named "dybalakovacic" :-)

PSG conceded 7 goals in 6 games in the group stage alone (13 in 8 games)

How many have Juve conceded this season in the CL in 9 games? 

Now, granted, Barca's not Porto but we defo need a sprinkling of that pixie dust/fairy dust/good ole Dynamo alchemy next week at the Camp Nou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfyO1bOObi8

CFte51KWgAEV6JM.jpg

The team Barce have can be unstoppable, there's no way you can have Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Iniesta etc and be dying out. Yeah Messi and Iniesta are both getting old but neither really need youth to play to a world class level.

I agree with Balon, there was a time where their midfield dominated everything and supported everything. If the defence were under pressure Xavi and Iniesta were there to support and recycle, the same if the forwards were in trouble. Busquets is in his prime, Rakitic as well.

Enrique moved away from the possession based game and it work wondered in his first season but there doesn't seem to be much continuity.

Fair play to Juventus though, they really are a giant in European football again. I was worried they'd just get bought out and lose their players but they've shown in the Summer they have the financial clout to compete with the best, I mean really, who benefited the most from the Pogba deal? He'll come good for United I'm sure but for the money he went for and to go and bring in Higuain, brilliant business. Not to mention Pjanic too. The slow building of that team, Sami Khedira coming in, Dybala turning into a world class footballer.

They have to keep Bonucci. Chiellini is still just 32 so a few more years yet but with Barzagli and Buffon getting older and older their next big test will be to replace a core of their defence that seems to have been ever present and was really the foundation for their success.

I felt embarrassed for Mathieu. 

Juve gave him so much more time and space than any other Barca player. And I'd probably include Ter Stegen in that statement. In top matches like this you can't have a weak link in possession. Juve could afford to leave him free constantly and t made it so much easier for them to crowd out the middle. 

Every player either needs to be capable of causing problems with the ball, or running dangerously off it. Tonight Mathieu was just left standing by the left touchline constantly, getting the ball and playing it back harmlessly to the side. With a man wasted like that you're never going to break a team like Juve down, unless you have Messi, and sadly the chances he made were missed.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived