• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Best Sci-Fi movies

football forum

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a potential long list.... 

Alien, Aliens, The Thing, ( Kurt Russell ) Terminator, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, Dredd, War of The Worlds ( Original ) Predator, Aliens V Predators, Interstellar, Appleseed, Mad Max 1&2, 2001, The Iron Giant

I like a lot of the old Sci Fi films as well, Like Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Dark Star, Silent Running

So many more but trying to make them your all time is tough.. 

1 hour ago, nudge said:

In no particular order:

2001: A Space Odyssey 
Children of Men
Star Wars (the original trilogy)
Gattaca
12 Monkeys
The Fifth Element
Contact
THX 1138

That's another... enjoyed some of the old Star Trek films along with the new ones as well... and more recently Life & Passengers 

Brazil: Funny and grim at the same time. Also, anyone who has seen this and watched Mad Max Fury Road will realise that the latter movie may have plagiarised quite a few aspects from Terry Gilliam's movie. 

2001 A space odyssey and 2010 The year we make contact: Brilliant original and quite a good (if not spectacular) sequel. 

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 The sequel is a masterpiece. 

Contact: Has minor flaws but makes you think. On a side note I enjoyed it more than Interstellar, which had better graphics. 

Martian: Loved the book and the movie. Just pure fun. 

Primer: Underrated gem. 

Matrix: There was nothing like it when it came out. 

Serenity: As a big fan of Firefly, this is a must. 

Rogue One: Unlike my wife, who is a Star Wars nerd, I am not huge on them, but I loved this. Just that Darth Vader scene in the end gives the chills. 

Then there are other movies that I enjoyed like Gattaca, Forbidden Planet, Arrival, Source Code, Looper, Terminator(first two). 

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Brazil: Funny and grim at the same time. Also, anyone who has seen this and watched Mad Max Fury Road will realise that the latter movie may have plagiarised quite a few aspects from Terry Gilliam's movie. 

2001 A space odyssey and 2010 The year we make contact: Brilliant original and quite a good (if not spectacular) sequel. 

Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 The sequel is a masterpiece. 

Contact: Has minor flaws but makes you think. On a side note I enjoyed it more than Interstellar, which had better graphics. 

Martian: Loved the book and the movie. Just pure fun. 

Primer: Underrated gem. 

Matrix: There was nothing like it when it came out. 

Serenity: As a big fan of Firefly, this is a must. 

Rogue One: Unlike my wife, who is a Star Wars nerd, I am not huge on them, but I loved this. Just that Darth Vader scene in the end gives the chills. 

Then there are other movies that I enjoyed like Gattaca, Forbidden Planet, Arrival, Source Code, Looper, Terminator(first two). 

Good call on 2010, I didn't expect much from it as granted, any sequel would have it hard to live up to the legacy of 2001, but it's indeed a very good movie... I have to rewatch it again at some point, it's been a long time. Have you read the book, too? Loved it.

Also glad I'm not the only one who liked Contact, I was mostly watching because of Carl Sagan, and it didn't disappoint... 

Completely forgot about Matrix, it was great. That said, I think I actually prefer Equilibrium, it was overall a better movie for me.

No love for Children of Men? :( 

1 minute ago, nudge said:

Good call on 2010, I didn't expect much from it as granted, any sequel would have it hard to live up to the legacy of 2001, but it's indeed a very good movie... I have to rewatch it again at some point, it's been a long time. Have you read the book, too? Loved it.

Also glad I'm not the only one who liked Contact, I was mostly watching because of Carl Sagan, and it didn't disappoint... 

Completely forgot about Matrix, it was great. That said, I think I actually prefer Equilibrium, it was overall a better movie for me.

No love for Children of Men? :( 

Was that the one with Clive Owen where the bomb goes off right at the beginning of the film?? I also enjoyed Equilibrium if that makes up for it.. 

• Subscriber
15 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Such a potential long list.... 

Alien, Aliens, The Thing, ( Kurt Russell ) Terminator, Terminator 2 Judgement Day, Dredd, War of The Worlds ( Original ) Predator, Aliens V Predators, Interstellar, Appleseed, Mad Max 1&2, 2001, The Iron Giant

I like a lot of the old Sci Fi films as well, Like Forbidden Planet, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Dark Star, Silent Running

So many more but trying to make them your all time is tough.. 

i don't like monster horror, so Alien movie series and The Thing is not really my thing... Terminator and original Mad Max is class though! :D 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Was that the one with Clive Owen where the bomb goes off right at the beginning of the film?? I also enjoyed Equilibrium if that makes up for it.. 

Yes, that's the one. The humanity is basically infertile and on the brink of extinction, and Clive Owen's character has to protect a pregnant refugee. I love that movie, one of my all time favourites overall...

Just now, nudge said:

i don't like monster horror, so Alien movie series and The Thing is not really my thing... Terminator and original Mad Max is class though! :D 

You don't like monster horror... I should imagine there would be a big gap between us on the sofa on movie night then... 

I enjoyed the Thing a lot actually, If you had ever seen the original you would see how much effort went into the revamp, Kurt Russell was brilliant in it and they managed to get in some fine comedy moments among the suspense... great atmosphere

The revamp of the revamp they did was not as good for me.. 

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yes, that's the one. The humanity is basically infertile and on the brink of extinction, and Clive Owen's character has to protect a pregnant refugee. I love that movie, one of my all time favourites overall...

Yea I remember some of it, maybe I will watch it again.. Clive Owen is always a good watch ever since I first saw him in that 'Chancer' series... If you don't like monster sci fi horror then you probably wouldn't like 'LIfe' it's a bit of a combo of the 2 but you would probably like 'Passengers'

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

You don't like monster horror... I should imagine there would be a big gap between us on the sofa on movie night then... 

I enjoyed the Thing a lot actually, If you had ever seen the original you would see how much effort went into the revamp, Kurt Russell was brilliant in it and they managed to get in some fine comedy moments among the suspense... great atmosphere

The revamp of the revamp they did was not as good for me.. 

Wait, so there's the original, the revamp, and the revamp of the revamp? xD I've seen the original...

9 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Yea I remember some of it, maybe I will watch it again.. Clive Owen is always a good watch ever since I first saw him in that 'Chancer' series... If you don't like monster sci fi horror then you probably wouldn't like 'LIfe' it's a bit of a combo of the 2 but you would probably like 'Passengers'

Depends on how much "romance" is there xD 

Just now, nudge said:

Wait, so there's the original, the revamp, and the revamp of the revamp? xD I've seen the original...

Depends on how much "romance" is there xD 

Yea.. xD The old Black & White original then the 1982 version then they did another in 2011

As for the 'romance' thing, first let me have a little laugh as I do know you are not keen on 'over emotion' xD but it's more light hearted then heavily weighted in romance so you are safe there... 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

Yea.. xD The old Black & White original then the 1982 version then they did another in 2011

As for the 'romance' thing, first let me have a little laugh as I do know you are not keen on 'over emotion' xD but it's more light hearted then heavily weighted in romance so you are safe there... 

Ah ok xD I watched the 1982 version and thought that's the original xD

I'll give Passengers a go then! I actually like certain romance movies haha. Like Love Actually or About Time, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for example. I just hate it when it's too sappy and overly dramatic aka completely unrealistic :P 

12 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ah ok xD I watched the 1982 version and thought that's the original xD

I'll give Passengers a go then! I actually like certain romance movies haha. Like Love Actually or About Time, or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for example. I just hate it when it's too sappy and overly dramatic aka completely unrealistic :P 

I think you will like how Passengers all ends..

The original was actually called 'The Thing from another World'

On 25/08/2018 at 02:26, Tommy said:

Predestination.

Nobody agreeing with me here? Lunatics! :P I've re-watched that movie yesterday. Soooo good. Sarah Snook and Ethan Hawke are incredible in this. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Nobody agreeing with me here? Lunatics! :P I've re-watched that movie yesterday. Soooo good. Sarah Snook and Ethan Hawke are incredible in this. 

I actually haven't seen it... Just googled it, and it looks like it's based on a short story by Heinlein... I might give it a go after I'm done with the rest of the Star Wars! :P 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

I actually haven't seen it... Just googled it, and it looks like it's based on a short story by Heinlein... I might give it a go after I'm done with the rest of the Star Wars! :P 

Please do, and let me know what you think :)

Archived