talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Charlton Athletic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, how true is any of that? I’m not disputing that Duchatelet is a bad owner, he’s an utter disgrace and should be removed from ownership at Charlton and banned from going near a Football Club again, but some of the things within that article are illegal. 

Stopping people taking a lunch break, for example, surely a contractual right,  is breaking contract law, I imagine. 

The stuff about plastic bottles (something that seems to be big now) and paper towels seems less of a move from a terrible owner and more of a cost and environmental thing, which isn’t a bad thing. 

16 minutes ago, Danny said:

I miss seeing Charlton in the Prem because it reminded me of a time before football became completely bastardised, and also that van Persie goal.

Nah, it was bastardised then, you were just a kid so you didnt' realise.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Our hierarchy often referred to charlton as the ‘model club’ in the early 2000s when they were comfortably mid table every season and not spending much. 

They were. It has all gone downhill since Curbishley left and they’re probably at one of their lowest now because of the ownership. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

They were. It has all gone downhill since Curbishley left and they’re probably at one of their lowest now because of the ownership. 

I know it’s a running joke about him being linked with jobs but it is surprising that his only ever gigs are Charlton and West Ham 

xDxDxDxD

A planned protest at The Valley caused play to be briefly suspended shortly after the start of Charlton’s home game with Fleetwood on Saturday.

The supporters' group Charlton's Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) distributed packets of crisps ahead of kick-off, some of which were thrown onto the pitch.

Sad what is happening at Charlton. Along with Orient they are the two London clubs who have suffered badly through selling up to the wrong new owners. Alas there does not seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel for them. I was listening to Love Sport Radio no more than ten days ago and one of their supporters was painting a terrible picture of the owner not being seen for a couple of years and nobody interested in buying the club from him. Plastic Pigs and now Crisp packets, the fans are making their point, question is, will it attract a buyer?

37 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

Sad what is happening at Charlton. Along with Orient they are the two London clubs who have suffered badly through selling up to the wrong new owners. Alas there does not seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel for them. I was listening to Love Sport Radio no more than ten days ago and one of their supporters was painting a terrible picture of the owner not being seen for a couple of years and nobody interested in buying the club from him. Plastic Pigs and now Crisp packets, the fans are making their point, question is, will it attract a buyer?

They’ve got one...apparently. They’re in talks to sell to an Australian consortium and have been for six months. 

xDxDxDxD

Charlton fans have set up a political party in the hometown of Belgium-based owner Roland Duchatelet in an effort to put pressure on him to sell the club.

The party, named 'Roland Out Today' (ROT), plans to stand in municipal elections in Sint-Truiden where Duchatelet has lived and run companies for many years.

ROT aim to highlight Duchatelet's past record as a local politician, as well as some of his business activities with the aim of causing embarrassment to him locally.

The party has sent out flyers to local households in Sint-Truiden, which is home to a high proportion of fans of Standard Liege, where Duchatelet spent a troubled spell as owner until he sold the club in early 2015.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 03:20, Marc said:

I know it’s a running joke about him being linked with jobs but it is surprising that his only ever gigs are Charlton and West Ham 

It really is - his record with Charlton was very good all things considered.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Charlton Athletic
  • 2 weeks later...

I was slightly happy for them when they got rid of Duchatalet because I think it's rather admirable how Lee Bowyer has managed to assemble a pretty good squad in absolutely dire circumstances.

Then after the takeover was announced there fans would randomly start abusing ours thinking that we are rivals.

Now I'm back to not caring what happens to them. Sooner they languish to playing Gillingham and AFC Wimbledon again the better.

Takeover confirmed. 

Delighted that Duchatelet has gone. He was a proper wrong’un and really did his best at ruining Charlton. That said, lessons haven’t been learnt by the Football League, as proven by Bury being allowed to be owned by Steve Dale and subsequently booted out of the Football League, Bolton’s situation and the ongoing situation at Macclesfield, so I suppose there’s always some scepticism around the change of owners at clubs and the “fitness” of the new beneficiary to run the clubs competently. 

• 2 months later...

Archived