talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Roma Fan Jailed

football forum

A Roma fan has been jailed for two-and-a-half years following violence at Anfield prior to last season's Champions League semi-final first leg with Liverpool.

Daniele Sciusco, 29, from Rome, admitted violent disorder ahead of the Anfield match on April 24.

On Friday, Preston Crown Court heard Irish Liverpool fan Sean Cox, 53, was still in a serious condition after suffering a head injury in the violence - although Sciusco was not directly involved in causing his injuries.

The court was told Sciusco was part of a group of Roma "ultras" who had flown from Italy for the match.

Video footage showed the group of about 25 fans, all dressed in dark clothing, going on to Walton Breck Road, outside the stadium just before kick-off.

Keith Sutton, prosecuting, said Sciusco had a belt in his hand as the group confronted Liverpool fans.

Mr Cox, from Dunboyne, Co Meath, was seen lying in the road after being attacked, as fighting continued around him.

Sentencing, Recorder of Preston Judge Mark Brown said: "The Champions League semi-final was a major international football event that was being televised across Europe, and your actions and the actions of the Italian group tarnished significantly what was intended to be a sporting and enjoyable occasion.

"It's important to stress you are not being sentenced for the dreadful attack on Mr Cox, but it did occur during violent disorder of which you were a part, and the impact on him has been catastrophic."

Another fan, Filippo Lombardi, 21, denies violent disorder and wounding/inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox and is due to stand trial later this year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There were at least 15 of them that were part of the attack. It's good that one is being punished, but all of them are criminals and most of them will remain free. 2.5 years seems pretty light to what happened to Mr. Cox too.

The lad who's in the dock for the attack on Sean Cox will face a far lengthier sentence if convicted. Not going to get them all unfortunately, I just hope we don't see similar shit when Napoli come over.

4 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The lad who's in the dock for the attack on Sean Cox will face a far lengthier sentence if convicted. Not going to get them all unfortunately, I just hope we don't see similar shit when Napoli come over.

Obviously anything can happen and things have occurred. But Napoli fans aren't renowned for football crowd violence.  Nothing like Roma, Lazio or Hellas Verona who are seriously serial sinners in all of this.  You'll find the majority of Napoli fans in England will be Neapolitans (of which there are loads... The majority of Italians in the UK) living in England that know how to behave.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Obviously anything can happen and things have occurred. But Napoli fans aren't renowned for football crowd violence.  Nothing like Roma, Lazio or Hellas Verona who are seriously serial sinners in all of this.  You'll find the majority of Napoli fans in England will be Neapolitans (of which there are loads... The majority of Italians in the UK) living in England that know how to behave.

Nothing against Napoli at all, just the Liverpool v Italian sides thing sometimes erupts because of obvious past connotations. Hafving said that, when Fiorentina visited a good while ago their fans were singing some pretty outrageous pro-Liverpool songs, for all the wrong reasons.

2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Nothing against Napoli at all, just the Liverpool v Italian sides thing sometimes erupts because of obvious past connotations. Hafving said that, when Fiorentina visited a good while ago their fans were singing some pretty outrageous pro-Liverpool songs, for all the wrong reasons.

Don't get me wrong, Italian club fans are voiciferous and a select number of clubs hold serious evil fans with very questionable ideologies...  But what you tend to get for example in the UK where many Italians reside is that they belong to official club sponsored associative social clubs that get the majority of the tickets.  I've been to few over the years and the atmosphere tends to be great.  But indeed the chanting does get out of hand.

39 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Liverpool and Napoli do have history so i wouldn't be surprised. I think it's more likely to happen over there though

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

I know you're only joking but loads will have already donated online. 

I know mate. I think it's a great gesture from Roma to be honest - quite a large sum of money to donate.

31 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Yet Liverpool shouldn't be for bottling the City bus? Dickheads will be violent and the individuals should be punished for their actions, clubs themselves shouldn't be unless they specifically support the actions of their fans.

xD Fella ends up in a coma with life changing injuries and mongrel thinks it's the same as a bottle hitting a bus. Roma fans and other Italian fans are regularly involved in acts such as the one we saw outside Anfield last season. The two incidents aren't even close

9 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

So the thousands of Roma fans that go to the game and behave sensibly should be punished for one idiot attacking an English fan? Ridiculous statement. If Roma were backing the attack then fine. If they were posting on social media trying to start attacks then fine but they didn't and whilst I've not read this story in depth I'm pretty sure they've actually donated some money towards the lads recovery? Can't ask much more than that if so. 

Not to use the victims slur that rattles so much but that's probably applicable here. Punish the individual not the club.

It wasn't just one though. There was a large group of them who marched down to the back of the Kop intent on causing trouble. And like we said, this isn't an isolated incident with them.

It's great they've donated such a large sum of money to Sean Cox's appeal but they could certainly do more about their supporters behaviour to stop things like this happening again

Funny that you've brought the victims thing up again when you've just got all defensive about a fucking bus.

#justiceforthecitybus

Just now, Cannabis said:

See, I haven't read into this story so was under the impression that one bloke had done him in. 

I'm not for one second condoning this shite, it's absolutely abysmal and has no place in life nevermind football but what I'm trying to suggest is that the whole club cannot be held accountable. This is problem in Italy however and has been for as long as I can remember, it's ingrained in the sport.

Well currently two have been jailed for being involved on the night but I believe that the other who they think delivered the blow to Sean Cox has been arrested in Italy and is awaiting trial.

And of course they can. If it's something that keeps happening over a number of decades then clearly the club aren't doing anything to help solve the problem.

15 hours ago, LFCMike said:

xD Fella ends up in a coma with life changing injuries and mongrel thinks it's the same as a bottle hitting a bus. Roma fans and other Italian fans are regularly involved in acts such as the one we saw outside Anfield last season. The two incidents aren't even close

Bit like the Incident that got Michael shields jailed. 

Archived